Author Topic: Need tractor advice  (Read 17878 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Need tractor advice
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2019, 10:23:49 AM »
Skip = Dumpster
Skid = Pallet
Skid as in its tires skid across the ground when you steer.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2019, 10:25:44 AM »
I’ll just stick to the terms I know. I need a tractor with a bucket. And when I say tractor, the 3 pt hitch and PTO are ubiquitous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2019, 10:48:56 AM »
Sorry, I fat fingered that last post, and it submitted before I had a chance to complete the explanation.

Skip = Dumpster in British English
Skid = Pallet
Skid Steer = Type of steering on Bulldozers and Bobcats (Muddy's pic)

Skip Loaders are large industrial tractors that may not have a 3 point. (Dynahoe without the hoe)

Utility Tractor - lower version of Farm tractor. 

McCormick-Deering W-4 or International I-4 = Utility tractor, lower to ground.
Farmall H = Same tractor, but higher. Row Crop Tractor. more ground clearance but more prone to tip over.
Neither of these have 3 point hitch.  Just mentioning to illustrate the height difference between a utility tractor and a farm/row crop tractor.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2019, 10:49:41 AM »
You mentioned soil dynamics. are these pond man made and how long ago were they dug? Around here some ponds need to be sealed with clay or bentonite to hold water. the soil is too porous otherwise. be a shame to dig around on your ponds and ruin them.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2019, 12:10:02 PM »
You mentioned soil dynamics. are these pond man made and how long ago were they dug? Around here some ponds need to be sealed with clay or bentonite to hold water. the soil is too porous otherwise. be a shame to dig around on your ponds and ruin them.

Both are man made.
Age unknown.
I do not think they were sealed.

The purpose of one of the French drains is strictly to direct runoff to the lower pond to help maintain the water lever. The other French drain will discharge into the upper pond but it will also drain water from an area where I get standing water after a good rain.

I plan to dig a shallow well to help maintain the water levels in the ponds. I’d like an overflow pipe running from the upper pond to the lower pond. The well will discharge into the upper pond and any surplus will make its way to the lower pond by way of the overflow pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk