Author Topic: Elroy is Seeking Recommendations  (Read 7589 times)

Offline Elroy

Elroy is Seeking Recommendations
« on: August 27, 2019, 07:27:49 PM »
That guy you know as Elroy, is in the market for a fresh set of 1/4" drive, chrome shallow depth, metric sockets and would like to solicit your recommendations. Historically, Elroy selects six point examples and currently has two full sets 1/4 metric in his inventory but they're mismatched pawn shop examples. Elroy has reached the point where he deserves a "matched set".  Current inventory runs from 4 mm through 13 mm and includes both 4.5 and 5.5 mm sockets. 12 Point sockets are absent in Elroy's 1/4" drive inventory with 3/8 drive 12 point sockets starting at 7 mm.

How often do you guys encounter 12 point fasteners calling for a 6 mm or less in 1/4" drive?

Elroy has looked at:

Snappy

MAC

SK

Proto

Cornwell

Please advise your non-import recommendations and or observations. Thank you

Offline ken w.

Re: Elroy is Seeking Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 07:51:30 PM »
Most of my 1/4" drive sockets are 6 point. I have a few 12 points for specific uses. I wouldn't buy 12 point sets. I see no real use for them. I like my SO sockets , but SK also makes some nice sets. I see them pretty reasonable on Ebay & Amazon.

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 07:56:58 PM »
More often when i run into a 12 point bolt its smaller than larger but still not very often.

I would suggest the sk 1/4 drive set. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 08:10:15 PM »
I had the pleasure of looking at some new SK sets a few weeks ago. I was quite impressed with the fit, chrome, and the feel of those new production sets. Ideal Industries has definitely upped the game with their SK products.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 08:41:15 PM »
Wright is my new fav but SK and Proto would be welcome.
Get both a 12 pt and a 6 pt.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 08:57:57 PM »
Wright is my new fav but SK and Proto would be welcome.
Get both a 12 pt and a 6 pt.

I really gotta get my hands on some wright tools and try them out

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 09:22:41 PM »
I have a set of 12 point 1/4" drive and several sets of 6 point. Honestly I have not found a specific need for my 12 point set and generally tend to use the 6 point more out of habit than any other reason. Like most of the rest here I am glad I have both 6 and 12 point sets but cannot justify having both kinds beyond simply liking having both.

As for brand, being this is Elroy I think Proto is a likely first choice closely followed by SK, then  Wright. Of course virtually any truck brand would be nice too. Personally I would say get a 6 point set and don't worry about a 12 point set.

Just my thoughts. If Craftsman was still quality and still in the game like the old days they were always my go to brand. 
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 08:01:17 AM »
I have an SK set I am looking to get rid of, but my users are Armstrong. So, not much help.

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 08:30:55 AM »
Not much to ad that has not already been said. Knowing elroy. I think proto followed by sk and then down the list.

If you were looking for a complete set, it would be real tough to beat an sk set with sae and metric, standard and deep offerings in a nice green case. At one time armstrong had a similar set but finding one these days would be impossible. I know snap-on has a similar set but elroy may stroke out if he saw the price.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline eborcim

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 09:27:04 AM »
I'd probably go with SK.  They have the full range of std, semideep, and deep well sockets that are not astronomical.  bmwrd0 has a nice full 1/4 set on the classifieds right now.

Offline highland512

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 09:31:11 AM »
I have a the following in 1/4" drive.
6 pt sae SK
12 pt mm SO
6 pt sae PROTO
12pt mm PROTO

The SK and SO have an equally nice chrome finish, I find the SK easier to read the size and the PROTO's are what PROTO is, bare bones get the job done tools. 6pt vs 12pt, both have their advantages. In tight spots I find the 12pt easier to get on the fastener but with the small fasteners I find the 6pt do a better job of not stripping them off. If I had to start over today I would go with the SK 6pt sockets and my old MAC pear head ratchet.

I haven't seen the newest 1/4 Wright selection lately but my latest tools that followed me home where 1/2 Wright mm, VERY nice tools with a beautiful finish and easy to read size.   

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 09:39:38 AM »
Just saw that Discount Fleet Supply has a good deal on the large 60pc SK set - $252 + free shipping

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/skt91860.html

Elroy can probably get it cheaper thorough his industrial discounts/contacts, but finding a new production set for that price is a good deal.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 09:49:48 AM »
I've found that on small sizes 12 point sockets tend to slip more. It might be the amount of "meat" on the broaches in small sizes is so small there's not much at all to grab with. Since switching to 6 points on say 11/32" and smaller the slipping problem vanished.

I'd keep an eye open for a good used Bonney set. Very happy with the ones GNAP sent me.

For new new I'd so along with SK or Wright.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2019, 04:03:02 PM »
Elroy told me, he is pleased with the number of well considered recommendations received above. Elroy offers his sincere thanks to all involved who took the time to post their recommendations.

At this point I understand that Elroy has conducted a fair amount of independent research on what's available. While the "truck" versions offer considerable selections they also come at a considerable price ! If one takes into account that Elroy is simply a week end hack, it's difficult for Elroy to justify the $200 asking price for a typical truck "set".

Previously, Elroy had enjoyed considerable success with the offerings from Proto. If one wishes to avoid E-Bay, availability at a reasonable cost has proven difficult.

The offerings from Wright have also presented some difficulties due to limited sources. Elroy works with a local industrial Wright distributor and has entered with them a RFQ. Their response is pending.

The Armstrong recommendation got Elroy's attention as they had not been previously considered. Research indicated that Armstrong had been folded into the Gear Wrench line. Much appreciated but no thank you. The Crescent line would be even worse. :-[

A quick visit to the Harry J. Epstein site reveals the SK Tools set #SK1313 is readily available. This 13 piece set is highly desirable in Elroy's eye as it's a reasonably priced set of domestically produced sockets. An appropriate SK order is pending the Wright RFQ

Elroy even inspected a set from the Harbor. While the $9 price tag was extremely attractive,Elroy saw no benefit over his current inventory.

Elroy would be pleased to review any other suggestions as he sincerely thanks all participants who have posted.  :-*

Offline slip knot

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 10:06:38 PM »
my last 1/4 drive purchases were Gear wrench and I was pleasantly surprised. I picked up a set of mid depth metrics 3/8 and 1/4 sizes. The fit and finish were excellent. being metric I haven't put a lot of miles on them but have been very pleased overall. the only complaint I have is that the size markings are a bit hard to see.

I popped for a set of GW 1/4 swivels after this set. Same fit and finish but very little usage at this point.