Author Topic: Premixed 2-Stroke Fuel  (Read 3723 times)

Offline wilbilt

Premixed 2-Stroke Fuel
« on: October 23, 2019, 11:57:22 PM »
Maybe not the right section, certainly not heavy equipment.

Have any of you used the premixed 50:1 fuel available at HD and elsewhere? Thoughts?

I got a few quarts of it for 'free' when I bought a new Husqvarna chainsaw a couple of years ago. It is high-octane and shelf-stabilized. They claim a 5 year shelf life if unopened, 2 years if opened.

It is a bit pricey, around $5/quart for the HD brand, but it sure is convenient. You can get a price break if you buy a case. My weedwhacker, chainsaw and hedge trimmer love this stuff.

In my case, the nearest gas station is 10 miles away, so having a few cans on the shelf in the shed can save the day.

lostmind

Re: Premixed 2-Stroke Fuel
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 07:47:29 AM »
Some manufactures double your warranty if you buy some with a new chain saw.

Offline highland512

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 07:57:03 AM »
I have been tempted a few times but then I remember I have 2 dozen bottles of 2 stroke oil at home.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 08:24:31 AM »
I go thru 1 gallon of 2 cycle fuel a week in the warm season. So my gas is always fresh. I mix Sunoco 93 octane with some Lucas ethanol treatment and Echo 2 cycle oil. A friend of mine will  only use the pre mixed fuel with his chain saws. Neither one of us has had carb problems in a few years using these fuels.

Offline wilbilt

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 08:38:42 AM »
I suppose it wouldn't very cost-effective if using large quantities of fuel (like a landscape business).

In my case, the convenience and shelf life outweigh the cost at this point. No grungy carbs here either, since using this stuff. The higher octane is a plus as well. I don't even know what the octane of premium fuel is here in Calif., since it has been so long since I bought any.

Maybe 92, but certainly not 94 or 96.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 08:46:29 AM »
I go thru 1 gallon of 2 cycle fuel a week in the warm season. So my gas is always fresh. I mix Sunoco 93 octane with some Lucas ethanol treatment and Echo 2 cycle oil. A friend of mine will  only use the pre mixed fuel with his chain saws. Neither one of us has had carb problems in a few years using these fuels.

Interesting thoughts about the gas. For some reason (which I can't as of yet figure out) certain rural gas stations in the southern part of Virginia sell alcohol free gasoline. I also found that to be true in rural North and South Carolina. It's more expensive than gasohol but not prohibitively so, and a lot of rural folks use it exclusively for their four- and two-stroke yard/maintenance equipment. I usually pick up five gallons when I'm down south around Williamsburg VA from one of the smaller gas retailers or farm co-ops. The interesting part of all this is that the pure gas is offered regionally and usually by small oil companies and their associated retailers.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 10:20:31 AM »
Last fall I bought a Stihl Leaf Blower BG 86. The salesman recommended Motomix 50:1 2 Cycle PreMix Fuel. He said it would not need to be drained at the end of the season (IIRC for 2 years). Also, there was an extended warranty.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 10:22:55 AM »
I have been using ethanol free gas for over 2 years now and love it. I did a mileage check on my last tank when I had to run 150 miles round trip to my sister's ranch last week. It took me 8.2 gals for 200 miles. The increased mileage evens out the higher cost of the clear gas compared to the other crap. My V6 Tacoma used to get about 18MPG average. All my small engines love it as well.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 04:45:17 PM »
I run the canned fuel in all my 2stroke stuff. way too convenient not to.

I finally found a fuel supplier that has E0 so I've been buying that for the tractors and other equipment.