Author Topic: Simpson "Old School" equipment --  (Read 9905 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Simpson "Old School" equipment --
« on: January 23, 2019, 10:46:47 AM »
I have a nice 260 hanging over the bench in the garage, and it's my go-to meter for most of the old electronics repairs that I do. That said, a nice set of virtually new Simpson meters isn't a bad idea. Bought these a while ago as a lot on ebay -- a brand new 260 with mirrored scale and OEM padded carrying case , and a gov't surplus "new" digital 467 with calibration tag still attached (meaning it hasn't been used since the calibration was completed).

Also found a pristine set of OEM Simpson test leads to expand the usability of these meters --

I'm good to go -- for a few more years. I truly love older Simpson meters -- I still have my dad's 1950s model sitting in my office as a decoration.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 10:48:36 AM by goodfellow »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Simpson "Old School" equipment --
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 11:57:39 AM »
Those Simpsons are great meters. The 260 and 270 are still made as are several panel meters and digital stuff. Good quality stuff.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 12:28:13 PM »
The following for Simpson meters is strong -- it's amazing that there still is such a demand for the old analog system

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 01:26:23 PM »
The reason there is demand is because they are great meters and there is a lot an analog meter can do that a digital can not. Some high digital stuff may emulate the functions but a good analog meter is a good addition to the bench.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 07:12:47 PM »
Very noce! Can't say that Ive heard of them

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 07:44:04 PM »
First meter shown, was a staple for every TV repair bench. One thing the analog does very well is checking caps. See it charge and discharge, verifying the cap. 

Digital takes the guess work out of reading  resistors , ac ripple can be measure in a DC circuit
Think leaking diode/rectifier.

Now use to the digital and its capabilities a Fluke is my tool of choice, and can be dropped, knocked off a counter top. Without a need to recalibrate, couple of points.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Fins/413

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 09:13:08 AM »
I had one of the black Simpsons at work before I bought a Beckmam DVM. It was built like a tank.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 10:57:24 AM »
Very nice, I've always been on the lookout for a 260 in good shape.  I seem to remember a model that had a circuit breaker on the front panel.

In my younger days as an AF technician it was the Simpson 260, PSM-6 and later the PSM-37 that were the go-to meters.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 09:26:57 AM »
I have a 260 in the top of my toolbox, and a few of the little Tripletts, the 310, floating around still.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 09:40:10 AM »
Yeah, I've got a Simpson 260 meter, paid $5 for it at a church rummage sale. Needed battery holder repair internally, that was all.
And all of you guys know I appreciate and maintain old school analog devices wherever I can. After switching to an Amprobe analog clamp meter I gotta say I like it better than a digital readout. Not as accurate, but alot easier in bright sunlight to see a pointer move.

I regularly come across old Simpson analogs, but can't say the same about Fluke meters.
Fluke used to be OK in my book. But over the past 10-20 years they've changed - meter quality and life expectancy has dropped, warranty repairs have become swap outs, and hard to get a warm body to talk to as I recall on their helpline.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:44:07 AM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 12:21:54 PM »
And in a total coincidence Fluke was bought by Danaher in 1998.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 05:05:59 PM »
And in a total coincidence Fluke was bought by Danaher in 1998.

Figures!

Things keep going the way they're going and I'm gonna be reduced to using a mercury thermometer for temperature and a wet forefinger and thumb for testing live circuits! :)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 07:55:50 PM »
Well you don't have to go all the way back to wet fingers/shock measurements. You could use a Wheatstone Bridge and get into the 1830's/40's.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 09:50:21 PM »
I have the 260 above the bench for quick tests, and my DVOM in the main box for more detailed work. I sold the one on the right (AFP-1) which needed that special unobtainable battery.

The 260 on the left has taken the place of my Radio Shack Micronta (similar pic shown) which was sold a few years ago.

Offline Elroy

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 01:30:13 PM »
Elroy has Pop's old 260

It's probably out of calibration by now

More recent is the Taut-Band