Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 182981 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #300 on: May 22, 2020, 09:27:40 AM »
Excellent deal -- that was a real steal.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #301 on: May 23, 2020, 02:31:42 PM »
A nice set of 3/8" hex drive Torx bits. 10 thru 60.

No brand, just CR-MV, but good condition and only $4.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #302 on: May 24, 2020, 02:46:22 PM »
couple freebies from a buddy:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #303 on: May 24, 2020, 03:57:31 PM »
Gotta love those long shank nutdrivers.  :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #304 on: May 26, 2020, 06:41:24 PM »
Just got this Colombian machete assortment in from Sportsmans guide.

I'm definatly keeping little one on top and the 22" billhook for sure.
I already gave the tapanga on the bottom to my neighbor, qndcI've been tried the parang just above it a little but I do not like it so it will maybe go to another neighbor or my uncle or something.
I'm undecided on the 22" Latin pattern because I've already got an 18" I quite like and really don't need it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 06:45:07 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #305 on: May 26, 2020, 07:03:39 PM »
Last I heard Spear & Jackson were an English company and their stuff wasn't cheap. Does that one appear to be higher quality or have a COO on it?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #306 on: May 26, 2020, 07:51:14 PM »
Last I heard Spear & Jackson were an English company and their stuff wasn't cheap. Does that one appear to be higher quality or have a COO on it?
They are but I'm pretty sure it's made in Colombia by Incolma just like the rest of these are, though theres no COO on it.

It's not a fancy machete and the ones on the SJ site where they don't actually list the COO in the description cost under $20 as is typical with south American made machetes.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:01:54 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #307 on: May 30, 2020, 01:38:06 PM »
few more arrivals from this past week:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #308 on: May 30, 2020, 04:29:38 PM »
Flush cuts are nice, I have come to love them for zip ties

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #309 on: May 31, 2020, 08:03:53 AM »
Finally got all this in. Took two attempts to get the caulking gun. Then I had to void the warranty on the gun with a Unibit :lol_hitting:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #310 on: May 31, 2020, 11:15:59 AM »

P.S. they're not 3/8" but 10mm. No biggie. I have a 3/8" square to 10mm hex adaptor socket which allow me to use a standard ratchet with this set.  :great:

Offline slip knot

« Reply #311 on: May 31, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »
Matt does the caulk gun use air to feed the caulk out.? Most of the cordless ones I’ve looked at were way to heavy with batteries installed but pneumatic could be what I need. I used a Milwaukee at work that had as much sticking out the back in push rod as was sticking out the front. Damned awkward for me

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #312 on: May 31, 2020, 11:58:38 AM »
Matt does the caulk gun use air to feed the caulk out.? Most of the cordless ones I’ve looked at were way to heavy with batteries installed but pneumatic could be what I need. I used a Milwaukee at work that had as much sticking out the back in push rod as was sticking out the front. Damned awkward for me

Yeah it uses air, regulated to 50-60 psi according to the box, so I'm gonna start out at 40 and go from there. Aside from bulk and weight this thing was way cheaper than a battery gun at under $30 shipped. Will let you know how it does later today if my fingers ain't all stuck together with urethane :lol_hitting:

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #313 on: May 31, 2020, 02:05:58 PM »

I have been flogging a set just like that a decade.  Good stuff in my junk pile, ummm....tool kit.  None broken and wear is minimal. 

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #314 on: May 31, 2020, 07:10:18 PM »
Yeah it uses air, regulated to 50-60 psi according to the box, so I'm gonna start out at 40 and go from there. Aside from bulk and weight this thing was way cheaper than a battery gun at under $30 shipped. Will let you know how it does later today if my fingers ain't all stuck together with urethane :lol_hitting:

OK time for a mini review of the Astro 405. Aside from the end cap issue pictured earlier the end cap was also bottoming out on the barrel before it clamped down on the tube of caulk. I removed the barrel from the gun and noticed the gun end threads were longer so I reversed the barrel and that took care of that. Two minor issues before I could use the gun but to be fair windshield urethane probably ain't what Astro designed this thing for.

Had to crank the pressure up to 80 psi to get the urethane to flow at a controllable, for a rookie to glue in autoglass, rate. After that the gun did great. Really the only thing worth mentioning is that the gun vents slowly, when you release the trigger, so flow doesn't stop for a second or two depending on how far down the tube you are. It's well worth the <$20 headline <$30 shipped price. If I'd have done this job with a manual caulking gun I doubt I'd be able to type right now.