Author Topic: Heated parts washer  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Xtm10

Heated parts washer
« on: April 02, 2019, 10:24:04 PM »
Several years ago I built a heated parts washer that was primarily used for water soluble pars cleaner fluid. I have since changed cleaning fluid to PSC-1000 from Tractor Suply, which is similar to mineral spirits. Unfortunately I don't think this cleaning fluid is compatible with the heating system, as it is the element sits submerged in the fluid and heats it up and it gets pumped around by the pump as is typical. I was wondering if one of those electric mini insta-hot water heaters would do it ??? I think as long as what ever heats up the water doesn't come in contact with the cleaner fluid it should be safe. Has anyone done anything like this ? Have any input as to how those mini heaters would work in this application ??
Thank you for any help

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Heated parts washer
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 07:18:29 AM »
I remember the build, and IIRC you used a water heater element to serve as the heat source. What cleaning fluid were you using previously? It might be easier (and more safe) if you can build a copper tubing radiator grid and just submerge it in the bottom of the basin -- then run hot water or antifreeze through the grid -- that way your heat source is away from the flammable liquid, and is easier to perform maintenance.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 07:22:16 AM by goodfellow »

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 01:12:14 PM »
It might be easier (and more safe) if you can build a copper tubing radiator grid and just submerge it in the bottom of the basin -- then run hot water or antifreeze through the grid -- that way your heat source is away from the flammable liquid, and is easier to perform maintenance.

That’s what I was thinking as well.

I’m assuming the danger in continuing with the current system if what could happen if a leak developed around where the element threaded into the solvent reservoir. As long as the solvent were contained, the element wouldn’t get the solvent nearly hot enough to combust. Is the possibility of a containment failure the only reason to change to a 2-stage heating system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 05:23:26 PM »
As long as you kept the heat below the vapor point of the liquid you would be ok but most solvents have a vapor point lower than ambient so your just basically gonna speed up evaporation.

Offline Xtm10

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 11:03:57 PM »
I remember the build, and IIRC you used a water heater element to serve as the heat source. What cleaning fluid were you using previously? It might be easier (and more safe) if you can build a copper tubing radiator grid and just submerge it in the bottom of the basin -- then run hot water or antifreeze through the grid -- that way your heat source is away from the flammable liquid, and is easier to perform maintenance.
I was using Castrol SuperClean

Offline Xtm10

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 11:24:50 PM »
The reason for the change is that the super clean destroys aluminum, and is pretty harsh stuff in general. Peeled the paint from the inside of the parts washer. I could try and find another water based degreaser but most of them suck. The PSC-1000 is aluminum safe and not as harsh on other metals and coatings, but it isn't recommended for rubber and plastic. That's why I'm wondering about the insta-hot water heater. Keep the temp at about 100* and it should be fine, and not evaporate too quickly