Author Topic: A dumb new " trend "  (Read 239 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

A dumb new " trend "
« on: March 29, 2024, 07:27:48 PM »
Over the past year I've seen tons of YouTube short videos showing people the supposed forgotten feature of the ubiquitous acetate handle screwdriver,  whether it be the dime a dozen WF / Craftsman or various Stanley offerings they claim these handles were intentionally made hexagonal so you could put a wrench on them.

They show this and people are just eating it up, they praise the person for showing them and tout the ingenious design of the old screwdrivers saying how smart the manufacturers were to incorporate such a feature that " you just don't get these days "

I even saw one video where this " feature " was demonstrated with a Stanley 100 plus phillips,  the flat blades ( which you could see in the drawer when they pulled the #2 out ) in the 100 plus line proves that this is not an intended feature by incorporating a a hex bolster into the forged shanks.

I understand that sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, and that people have probably been doing this for as long as such handles have existed, but I don't know how these people could be dumb enough to assume that it's the sole reason for hexagonal handles and not for grip.
I'm not complaining about what people do with their own tools, but the idiots making the videos include no disclaimers and they're telling people that you were intended to do this.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

Re: A dumb new " trend "
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2024, 01:45:58 PM »
Well, if you say a lie - or something idiotic - long enough and loud enough, then people will believe it.

But honestly, I thought the hex part of a screwdriver shank was for wrench use too, so..... :(

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 08:43:43 AM »
George, I don't think he is talking about the hex bolster, just putting a wrench on the plastic handle

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2024, 10:15:55 AM »
Well, if you say a lie - or something idiotic - long enough and loud enough, then people will believe it.

But honestly, I thought the hex part of a screwdriver shank was for wrench use too, so..... :(
On the acetate handle.
The idiots are claiming the acetate handle itself is hexagonal so you can put a wrench on it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2024, 03:06:47 PM »
Does this mean I can fit a wrench to the square handle of my black Snap-on screwdrivers, and destroy them too?  Looking through boxes of used screwdrivers at pawns or thrifts it seems the choice torque multiplier tool is a Channelock pliers.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2024, 04:07:20 PM »
Does this mean I can fit a wrench to the square handle of my black Snap-on screwdrivers, and destroy them too?  Looking through boxes of used screwdrivers at pawns or thrifts it seems the choice torque multiplier tool is a Channelock pliers.
Oh definitely, go ahead and put a wrench on them because apparently anything that you can put a wrench on has to have been designed to put a wrench on it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2024, 04:20:07 PM »

On the acetate handle.
The idiots are claiming the acetate handle itself is hexagonal so you can put a wrench on it.

Oops, must have mis-read that. :-[

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 12:53:34 PM »
It's funny how the comments on one video keep piling on about how smart the old timers were to include such a feature and how all the smart people are gone.

I'd agree with some of that sentiment since there's a goldmine of old school tips tricks and ingenuity out there, but it's just funny to see the sentiment over a complete farse or misconception.
And it's even funnier that those praising the genius of the past aren't smart enough to see the clear signs that this was most certainly not an intentional screwdriver feature.

I'll bet you could tell these people that wrenches were intentionally made flat so they wouldn't roll off a work bench that sockets have a through hole so you can put them on a string or that high polished chrome is used so you can easily find your lost tool with a flashlight and they'd completely believe it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 12:55:59 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn