Author Topic: Harbor freight ceo slams snap on  (Read 12212 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Harbor freight ceo slams snap on
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 01:47:05 PM »
Idk. I hope the new icon line is affordable like the old school craftsman. But from what i seen with their packaging i doubt it will be.  You dont put a ratchet in a $20 box unless you are gonna charge for it.

It's their new "professional line"; hence it will be priced accordingly. Expect the price to be at, or slightly below NAPA Carlyle

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 08:32:36 PM »
Carlyle is over priced as well in my opinion.   Guess if i decide to buy a bunch of imported tools ill look at gearwrench and tekton.....but i have so much vintage usa stuff i probably wont need to.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 11:42:53 PM »
Don`t fund china.... there I`ve said it.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 06:58:23 AM »
Don`t fund china.... there I`ve said it.

Most of their quality import tools come from Taiwan. I don't mind buying Taiwanese and Japanese manufactured tools (and have been for years). Many of you guys probably don't remember, but in the early days of Harbor Freight (in the late 1970s it was called Harbor Freight & Salvage Co.), the company sold mostly Taiwanese and Japanese sourced tools. Many of my large shop tools are from that time period, and they are very good quality.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »
In the early days they literally were a salvage company and bought and resold salvaged and unclaimed freight. Mostly from freighters but what they could get from the railroads as well.

I have some philosophical issues buying Chinese but I will. I will not buy anything Japanese which can be very hard because a lot of things contain something that was sourced from Japan or by a Japanese company.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.