Author Topic: Bending some stainless for my bench top.  (Read 9649 times)

Offline walrus

Bending some stainless for my bench top.
« on: January 27, 2019, 02:38:22 PM »
Got some used sheets of stainless from a deli kitchen. It was on the walls under the hood behind fryolators grills etc. Its got some holes in it but it would make a nice bench top if I can get it bent.  I don't have a brake nor do I know anyone with a brake. Anyway I can get a decent bend on it using some backyard techniques  ;)

Offline slip knot

Re: Bending some stainless for my bench top.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 04:05:24 PM »
stainless gonna be tough without a brake. its got a lot of spring to it. or that's been my experience with it.

might be time to fab up a quick pan brake.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 04:24:45 PM »
Years ago I used a section of heavy angle iron that I drilled on each end to allow it to be bolted to a bench so that the sharp edge is flush with the edge of the bench/ I bent a lip on several 3ft pieces of 22ga SS. Worked OK -- it wasn't a knife edge bend as is obtained with a brake, but more of a tight radius bend. 

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 08:23:07 PM »
Maybe cut it to fit top, trim the edge with some angle, could use aluminum with 45s on corners. Good score ..
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 08:39:37 AM »
Got some used sheets of stainless from a deli kitchen. It was on the walls under the hood behind fryolators grills etc. Its got some holes in it but it would make a nice bench top if I can get it bent.  I don't have a brake nor do I know anyone with a brake. Anyway I can get a decent bend on it using some backyard techniques  ;)

The material is tough to bend unless you are set up for it, plus, keep in mind that is costly material you don't want to mess up trying to go cheap. Find a good HVAC or sheet metal shop that can do the job and pay them to do it right for you. The cost of the material is far greater than what it will cost to have it bent up good for you. Paying for that job will be well worth it.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 10:09:45 AM »
I agree with UB and they can shear it to length and width also. You won't get a sharp bend and you won't be happy with a large radius on the bends.

Offline ScoutDriver

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 11:23:02 AM »
I'll agree with posters above to cut the sheets to fit and trim the corners with angle steel.  Stainless can be tough to bend even with a brake. 

The angle steel will be replaceable if need be. 

Scott

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 09:10:05 AM »
When I had my tops bent up I had them bent to length and width and also had them bent with 2" rolled edges and welded at the corners. The extra was worth it.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline walrus

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 04:53:54 PM »
Finally took SS sht metal in to be sheared and bent, they called its done. 60 bucks to get 2 pieces sheared and then 2 bends on each piece. Hopefully they fit  ;D Get them tomorrow I hope

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 05:13:57 PM »
cheap enough. you are gonna post some pics right ;D

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 05:19:08 PM »
Finally took SS sht metal in to be sheared and bent, they called its done. 60 bucks to get 2 pieces sheared and then 2 bends on each piece. Hopefully they fit  ;D Get them tomorrow I hope

Did you get the bend on the long sides so the bends are on the front and back of the bench? I do hope they fit and that you are happy with the results.

Offline walrus

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 06:00:23 PM »

Did you get the bend on the long sides so the bends are on the front and back of the bench? I do hope they fit and that you are happy with the results.
Yes, except the back goes up, not down. And I'll have a seam somewhere on the bench as the neither of the 2 sheets were long enough. But what do you want for nothing  :D

Offline walrus

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 04:12:21 PM »
Got the bent pieces back. fit pretty well. Hair long between the bends. Might have shim the front if I put some screws in the front bend. Was planning on Truss head screws on the back bend. Now the question is should I glue it down with silicone, poly urethane or construction adhesive???  The seam is tight but not sure it wont pick up over time. The bench is 1.5 inch of glued and biscuited clear red oak. Its rugged. I probably need to cross brace legs. I think it will get screwed to wall also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 05:09:26 PM »
I glued mine with construction adhesive. The galvalume was pretty thin and I didn't want it oilcanning.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 07:47:14 PM »
Sheared ends fit good. It looks like they missed a little on the width between bends but nice tight radiuses.