Author Topic: Replace it all....  (Read 5278 times)

Offline muddy

Replace it all....
« on: November 12, 2020, 08:57:03 PM »
....or just the part that's bad.

The last few days the Plymouth has been running hot. Little low on coolant but I know the heater core seeps. (Also I'm guilty of not checking fluids in the old girl too often)

Well tonight she was running hot and I had now heat. ,I made it he just fine, but I wanted to figure out why? I assumed the water pump was just plain shot since it has at least 100,000 miles on it.

I popped the hood to check that the fans were running, they were. They were also wet, and coolant was everywhere. Appears the radiator sprung a leak. Im going to pressure check it just to be sure.

Any way being 26 yrs old with 240,000 miles on. Would it be wise to replace the water pump, thermostat (was replaced fairly recent), and hoses? Or just leave well enough alone and replace the radiator? Everything appears to be in good shape, but if your gonna drain the system now's the time right? From Rock Auto, I can have all of it shipped to my door for about $150.

I kinda know what I want to do, just wanted to see what everyone else would do if it where theirs.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Replace it all....
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 09:21:00 PM »
Speaking from experience, and the fact that "Murphy" has bitten me in the a$$ so many times; may I suggest that you bite the bullet and replace it all -- even the thermostat. If the engine overheated then the thermostat (regardless of age) is also suspect in my book.   

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 10:44:52 PM »
While your there, might as well replace it all.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 03:58:43 AM »
Stop leak in the radiator and let it eat :)) 

My question would be, how much confidence do you have in the rest of the car.  If you think you can get another year or so out of it then go ahead and do it all. 

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 09:10:49 AM »
Stop leak in the radiator and let it eat :)) 

My question would be, how much confidence do you have in the rest of the car.  If you think you can get another year or so out of it then go ahead and do it all.
Cosmetic wise car looks pretty bad, mechanical wise she's in pretty damn good shape for here age. Very minimal rust, underside is clean. Passes inspection easily.  Its got 60,000 to go till 300,000 it gonna make it unless there's major break down.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 09:36:14 AM »
150 bucks?

just do it. i spent 10 times that to do the radiator in the challenger 55......   :41:
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 10:24:15 AM »
Minivan?  If it has a rear heater core, I'd replace both heater cores, or bypass the rear one.  Then you know the entire cooling system will be good for the winter.

There may be a shortcut to replace those if you don't mind hacking things up.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 10:59:30 AM »
I would replace it all as well. Maybe hoses too if you haven't done so in the last 5 years. Don't forget the belt too.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 02:14:36 PM »
I'm a fan of replace it all. GF mentioned Murphy and he will certainly be watching over your shoulder as you do the job.

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 08:01:29 PM »
150 bucks?

just do it. i spent 10 times that to do the radiator in the challenger 55......   :41:
Yeah but she makes you more money then my plymouth lol

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 08:05:33 PM »
Minivan?  If it has a rear heater core, I'd replace both heater cores, or bypass the rear one.  Then you know the entire cooling system will be good for the winter.

There may be a shortcut to replace those if you don't mind hacking things up.
1994 Plymouth Sundance same thing as a Dodge Shadow. The dash is just about falling off, so I'm not too concerned about the heater core. That be a fairly easy job when it's leaving puddles on the floor.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 08:26:21 AM »
Since there is the possibility of engine damage I'd just replace the rad, cap and the lower hose initially. Get the car back together and see how it runs. Then do the heater core and timing belt if the engine checks out OK.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2020, 09:08:00 PM »
I am of the do it all plan myself. I also agree with changing the belt, tensioner and idler as well. Doing the hoses would also be included. Generally, if I strip parts down to replace and I already have to remove the belt or hoses to do a job, those parts will get replaced as well plus anything related that will logically fail and probably right after I finish the job if I don't.

For example my 1996 Ford Ranger is not heating well right now. If simple things like a thermostat and system flush to not fix it I might go after the water pump because the impeller in the pump has been known to wear enough as to diminish cooling ability. If I end up going that way I will remove some of the bolts on the timing belt cover as well to do the pump so I will also replace the timing belt even though it is not giving me problems, but I know it has 80-90 K miles on the belt that is there now. My logic is I already have everything to do the timing belt stripped off so I may as well take care of that while I am in the neighborhood. Of course I plan to keep and drive this truck for a long time so this only makes sense to me. 
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Online geneg

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 08:03:07 AM »
Think of the economy of your time. You already have the cooling system drained.  Shop for parts & get the most bang for your buck.  Replace everything that is possibly suspect or that you know isn't in top condition.  Thermostat, hoses, water pump, radiator, belt(s), etc.  Idlers & tensioners- spin by hand for sound or feel or just replace if within your budget.  You can probably do all of the above for less than one car payment!

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 09:18:41 PM »
Radiator, thermostat, water pump, hoses, arrived today. The upper hose won't be here for another week. One of the downsides of Rock Auto.