Author Topic: Annoyed new cars motor shuts off when you stop  (Read 4502 times)

Offline zktk01

Annoyed new cars motor shuts off when you stop
« on: August 21, 2019, 08:10:03 PM »
I rented a 2019 Jeep Cherokee for a few days, my personal cars are 2004 vintage. I got annoyed every time I stopped the motor would shut off until you took foot off the brake. I found my self just easing into the stops to avoid the motor shutting off. I know it is for gas saving, but I would think owning a vehicle like that started and stopped all the time would wear the engine more. I would hate to have a weak battery just jumped that thing and have it shut off at a red light to save fuel.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Annoyed new cars motor shuts off when you stop
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 08:27:29 PM »
I rented a 2019 Jeep Cherokee for a few days, my personal cars are 2004 vintage. I got annoyed every time I stopped the motor would shut off until you took foot off the brake. I found my self just easing into the stops to avoid the motor shutting off. I know it is for gas saving, but I would think owning a vehicle like that started and stopped all the time would wear the engine more. I would hate to have a weak battery just jumped that thing and have it shut off at a red light to save fuel.

They have redundant electrical systems and battery to make these vehicles operate reliably in these start/stop situations. The software also recognizes that if you are in constant stop/go traffic, then it will shut off that shutdown function. On some vehicles you can disable the start/stop function, but more and more these systems are becoming the norm.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 09:00:46 PM »
For god sakes I hate that Darn shut off thing  .  The EPA crap is killing Freedoms
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 09:49:56 PM »
Its very disconcerting to us guys used to driving sketchy vehicles.  :o o crap it just died. :o

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 10:26:10 PM »
That would drive me crazy for it to shut off and start again. I had a Ford Ranger that would just shut off but not start again. I learned to carry a new control module in the glovebox along with a ground down 7/32 deep socket. The control module on that V6 was on the back side of the distributor next to the firewall. I guess the engineers couldn't think of a hotter place to put it. >:(

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 07:24:07 AM »
I have a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the start/stop function.

Unlike most vehicles with this "feature" it has a disable switch in the center dash.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline highland512

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 07:38:44 AM »
This feature bugs the crap out of me as well. I first saw it one F150's and luckily they have a disable switch on the dash .........for now

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 10:05:15 AM »
Its very disconcerting to us guys used to driving sketchy vehicles.  :o o crap it just died. :o
Now that IS funny! I've been driving/fixing my daughters '04 Yukon with +200K miles on it.  I know what you mean.  :D
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 07:58:02 PM »
Yeah, I have driven my share of high milage vehicles wondering whether they would start

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 06:18:00 PM »
For god sakes I hate that Darn shut off thing  .  The EPA crap is killing Freedoms

Don't ya just love 'em!  >:(

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 05:56:36 PM »
One more reason to not buy the new shit... and it is shit. Had a rental lately that did that.
1776 ................... what happened!