Author Topic: Movies worth paying money to see  (Read 11921 times)

Offline fatfillup

Movies worth paying money to see
« on: February 17, 2020, 07:51:29 AM »
Thought a thread on movies might help guide our entertainment decisions.  We don't have Netflix so movies we pay money for are either at the theater or Red Box. 

Recent ones

Rambo Last Blood   dark depressing tale  Neither wife or I enjoyed it

Jumanji    Rented that one and enjoyed it.  Mama liked it more then I did

Jumanji, The Next Level     Saw that one at the theater recently and we both liked it

Terminator Dark Fate      We both enjoyed this one

So post up some recent movies and your opinions, might save someone some time and money or steer us to a great flick

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Movies worth paying money to see
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 09:00:44 AM »
Mostly I watch Netflix. Can't remember the last movie I saw in a theater and can't even remember the last movie I saw in a theater I enjoyed and thought was worth the money.

My wife and I watched The Irishman on Netflix recently and enjoyed that mostly. We watched in about three or four sittings though not all at once. It was good but to me the book it was based on was much better.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 09:15:25 AM »
None of the Hollywood stuff is any good. Over the last decade most everything has to have a social justice theme, and it's getting pretty obvious what the agenda is. Netflix has some of that, but for the most part they take chances on new themes and non-Hollywood agendas. It's quite refreshing to see movies directed, produced, and acted by a fresh cadre of filmmakers that don't buy into all the Hollywood crap.

Just watched "The Foreigner" on Netflix last night -- starred Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. They both stepped outside their traditional typecast genres and delivered a good performance in a good old fashioned thriller plot.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:21:14 AM by goodfellow »

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 09:17:20 AM »
Last year I went to the theater for two movies in the first couple weeks of their release, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Joker.  I liked both and saw them again when they came to the discount theater.  Also saw Terminator, Dark Fate, which I knew would be redundant, but it was still entertaining.  Saw Richard Jewell last week, which was okay.

Ugh, the Irishman.  That what happens when you don't use an editor.   :34:

It's sad how so many movies are dumbed down or superhero movies these days.  I used to look forward to 1-2 movies a month when I was around twenty, but now it's only 1-2 a year at most.
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 09:36:45 AM »
The Mrs. and I don't go out to movies much at all anymore. Unless a movie is one that really needs a big screen to get the impact (like "Gravity"), we usually just wait till movies get released on DVD and then rent. Much easier to pause the movie for bathroom breaks or discussion, back up to some dialogue we missed, and then the special features and the making of documentaries.

We have a cheap theater that runs the big movies at discount prices after they've completed their first run showings. We saw "Midway" that way and both of us liked it.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 10:11:30 AM »
The last time I was in a movie theater was 1996 to see Twister. I don't do Netflix and haven't watched a DVD in years. :sign0137:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 11:20:23 AM »
We don't do the theater often but the local one just remodeled and the recliners are comfy and Tues are $7 so will do that now and again.

Will have to watch Midway.  Don't think Mama would like Joker

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 11:37:18 AM »
My wife and I watched the Netflix movie "The Highwaymen" starring Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson as Frank Hamer and Many Gault, the retired Texas Marshalls who hunted and eventually gunned down Bonnie & Clyde.

This movie unlike others about Bonnie & Clyde did not glamorize the couple and their crime spree, in fact, I think the only time their faces were shown was during the ambush.  The story is about these marshalls brought out of retirement while the Texas Marshall program was shut down by the governor.

We both enjoyed it.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 04:07:34 PM »
^^^^sounds great,,keep them coming

Offline eborcim

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 05:14:06 PM »
Ford vs. Ferrari was a really good movie.  Knives Out was pretty good for a whodunnit.  Kingsman series of movies are pretty good if you like british spy movies.  Bond movie coming out will probably be pretty good.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 07:29:58 PM »
The last movie I went to the theater for was Rodney Dangerfields Back to School. The girl I was dating at the time wanted to see a movie. I don't remember much about the show... or the girl.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 09:31:40 PM »
Looking forward to seeing a few movies: "1917" looks wild, and "Wonder Woman 2" sounds like it'll be a blast.
I've been liking the Fast and Furious movies (except 3) so F&F9 could be a winner.

Really liked the first two "Predator" movies. "If it bleeds, we can kill it!"  :lol_hitting:
But "The Predator" flopped so bad I don't think they'll be another one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:33:17 PM by bonneyman »

Offline walrus

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 06:04:09 AM »
Hadn't been to a movie theater in years but went to see Ford vs Ferrari. Great movie, will watch it again when I can see it at home.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 07:16:54 AM »
Moved to GA in 87, have not been to a move as 80 ........  Could not fathom what they must be like today with cell phones and the full blown esteems in high gear.

The best part of my cable, the music channels, verity on demand. Keep it a secret there are no commercials NADA

pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 07:22:02 AM »
Couple more to see.

Thanks for the input guys. Since we all have many things in common, the odds are good that our tastes in movies will be similar.  Obviously just because we all like tools doesn't mean our entertainment tastes will be identical, but I would rather take your guys recommendations then a film critics anyday :))

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 07:28:06 AM »
Pep, the new theaters are quite nice.  Every seat is a large comfy recliner, the sound systems are out of this world.  Are they worth $14 a pop, to me no, but on Tuesdays, ours is $7 which I think is quite reasonable for what you get provided the movie is good.  Some movies are best seen on the big screen.

The one movie I will pay full price is a new Bond movie.  Been hooked on them since the late 60's early 70's.  Used to take my kids and a couple of their buddies to them too, made for a nice afternoon of male bonding :08:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 03:52:32 PM »
The whole John wick series has been pretty much the best action movie franchise in the past decade, and there's no liberal politics to hate.
Just a man who's dog was stolen doing what he does best, and man is he good at what he does.

I plan to go see Call of the wild when it premiers on Friday, hopefully it's decent.

And zombie land double tap was pretty good as well.
I really loved how a bunch of young liberal idiots thought they could all just live gun free in some hippy community until the zombies came and they were all screwed.
The heros did surrender their guns before entering which I found stupid considering they could have just gotten in anyways, a bunch of high ass unarmed hippies ain't stopping crap.
But overall it enjoyed it

I enjoyed Midway, but I know there were some inaccuracies.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 07:43:25 PM »
Don't watch a whole lot of tv. Mostly kids things now adays...

Movies just don't seem to hold my attention any more. I tend to watch documentaries if anything.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline muddy

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 09:26:04 PM »
It's fairly old by now (2011) I just watched The Adventures of Tintin with Sam last night. Yes it's aimed towards kids but it was a lot like Indiana Jones. I like things that are history with a mystery and mythology

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2020, 04:00:45 AM »
Mama and I watched Ford vs Ferrari over the weekend and we both enjoyed it

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2020, 07:27:55 AM »
Next is likely Midway.  It was sold out when I went to get it.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 02:00:18 AM »
Midway was great, Mama and I enjoyed it.

Can't say the same about Beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Neither of us enjoyed it much though Tom Hanks acting was great.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 08:47:01 AM by fatfillup »

• Ran when parked
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2020, 06:54:02 AM »
Neither of us enjoyed it much though Tom Hanks actong was great.

That Mr. Rogers movie looked incredibly boring!
boop/bop/beep

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2020, 08:46:31 AM »

It was boring to us, the story is amazing if you like family dramas with sweet ending.  Not one gun, explosion or high speed chase scene in the whole movie :)) 

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2020, 08:48:07 AM »
So what other movies would you guys recommend from the Red Box?  Looks like we might be spending more time at home

• Ran when parked
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2020, 04:18:34 PM »
The wife and I watched Contagion.  Lots of similarities to what is going on now, unfortunately. 

I have a lot of movies and TV shows on DVD and Blu-ray.  Guess I'll be watching a lot of them soon.
boop/bop/beep

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2020, 05:02:24 PM »
The wife and I watched Contagion.  Lots of similarities to what is going on now, unfortunately. 

I have a lot of movies and TV shows on DVD and Blu-ray.  Guess I'll be watching a lot of them soon.

Yeah -- Good time to watch a few of the long Netflix series and see what all the noise is about.

Offline muddy

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2020, 08:40:57 PM »

It was boring to us, the story is amazing if you like family dramas with sweet ending.  Not one gun, explosion or high speed chase scene in the whole movie :))
They should make that version!!!
Remember the SNL sketch Mister Robinson Neighborhood with Eddie Murphy?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:43:28 PM by muddy »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2020, 09:55:22 PM »
With all the restaurants and theaters closing looks like my end-of-the-month anniversary outing is cancelled. Now I'll have to scramble to come up with an alternative for my 21 year "marathon".  :hee20hee20hee:

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2020, 06:02:00 AM »
I recently watched the 1993 film True Romance for the first time in at least 10 or 15 years. I didn't know that this film was adapted from a Quentin Tarantino screenplay until I recently watched it again.

It's a little over the top, and not family/child friendly by any stretch of the imagination. It has a deserved R rating.
But it is also a good film, performed poorly in the box office, but became a cult classic.

Ensemble cast including Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hopper, Val Kilmer, Brad Pitt, Christopher Walken, Samuel L. Jackson, and Gary Oldman among others.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2020, 07:04:48 AM »
I recently watched the 1993 film True Romance for the first time in at least 10 or 15 years. I didn't know that this film was adapted from a Quentin Tarantino screenplay until I recently watched it again.

It's a little over the top, and not family/child friendly by any stretch of the imagination. It has a deserved R rating.
But it is also a good film, performed poorly in the box office, but became a cult classic.

Ensemble cast including Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hopper, Val Kilmer, Brad Pitt, Christopher Walken, Samuel L. Jackson, and Gary Oldman among others.

Thanks for the tip. I pretty much like anything Christopher Walken is in - Great actor!!! Just saw his two "Prophecy" films again on cable TV this week, and really enjoyed them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2020, 09:50:31 AM »
Not really a movie, but the Mrs and I have been watching "Star Trek Continues" on youtube. Totally fan-made and supported, it supposedly finishes the original 5 year mission of the USS Enterprise. New actor recreate Kirk and the gang, but the sets, props, lighting, and music are faithful reproductions of the original. Special effects aren't bad, either. 11 episodes, worth checking out.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2020, 07:48:32 AM »
Not really a movie, but the Mrs and I have been watching "Star Trek Continues" on youtube. Totally fan-made and supported, it supposedly finishes the original 5 year mission of the USS Enterprise. New actor recreate Kirk and the gang, but the sets, props, lighting, and music are faithful reproductions of the original. Special effects aren't bad, either. 11 episodes, worth checking out.

Thanks for the tip George - that "Star Trek Continues" series is a great effort by a really talented team of folks. Brought me back to the mid-1960s

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2020, 07:21:51 PM »
If you have Netflix there are some good Russian series running. I know Russian stuff isn't all that popular but it's pretty good entertainment and gives a view of life in Russia (although I suspect more what they want to show than what they really live but even that is pretty revealing).

Better Than Us is a SciFi series about androids, specifically one that does not obey Assimovs Three Laws. It is well done and as presented believable although not probable. The star, Paulina Andreeva is very talented and very watchable.

The same actress, Paulina Andreeva also stars in another series as Esenya Steklovain The Method about a detective who is more of a serial killer sanctioned by the state although generally viewed as a great detective who solves the unsolvable cases or as very controversial but in reality he disposes of serious criminals normally able to slip through the craccks in the justice system there or to avoid long and public trials. He takes Steklovain, who idolizes him as a great detective, under his wing as a trainee. Very engaging.

The final one is called Siver Spoon about a spoiled rich and privileged kid who goes one step too far and is forced to become a cop by his father who wants to punish him and teach him a lesson. He objects at first but gradually becomes dedicated to being a cop and wins over (most) of his skeptical colleagues. He also solves who murdered his mother who had been officially listed as a suicide.

I might make some additional recommendations on other stuff from foreign sources later.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2020, 08:28:37 PM »
We watched Gemini Man and Fast and furious,  Shaw and Hobbs

WE enjoyed both

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2020, 04:25:36 AM »
Cable company is providing free movies on demand while we are on lock down.  Very nice gesture of them.  So while we are not paying directly for it, I will let you know what we enjoyed.

Mama and I normally enjoy action  movies and comedys.  Nothing too heavy.  Well we watched a movie last evening that was based on a true story called Green Book.  It was about  A Stereotypical  Italian  New Yorker who is hired by an unsterotypical well educated black musician to drive him on a musical tour in the south during the early 60's.  Excellent movie.  Poignant but lots of laughs and some action also .  Highly recommend it

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2020, 10:25:10 AM »
Watched a good movie that's a few years old but I never saw - "Max". About a military dog that loses his handler in battle and what happens to it afterwards. A tear jerker for sure.

Included a bonus short about military dogs and their training, and how the actors had to learn how to read the dogs. Definitely would NOT want to be on the bad side of one of those animals!  :-\

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2020, 07:59:17 AM »
Mama and I watched a movie last night we really enjoyed, Diary of a Mad Black Woman.  It was funny, dramatic, had some villians, a redemption story and a love story all wrapped up in one. 

Any movie recommendations as we enter winter?  They can be old or new,

• Ran when parked
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2020, 09:56:48 AM »
Changing Lanes is pretty good, Ben Affleck and Samuel L Jackson.  From 2002.  Just saw this recently for the first time in years.

Some violence and "only in the movies" coincidences, but entertaining nonetheless.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »
This is pretty good
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2020, 02:08:56 PM »
Th Adventures of Robin Hood,  Errol Flynn, Olivia DeHaviland, Basil Rathbone, Claude Raines
jack

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2020, 04:16:48 PM »
Mama and I watched a movie last night we really enjoyed, Diary of a Mad Black Woman.  It was funny, dramatic, had some villians, a redemption story and a love story all wrapped up in one. 

Any movie recommendations as we enter winter?  They can be old or new,
Tank. About an Army officer who uses his restored Sherman tank to take on the corrupt sherriff of a small town near the base he was recently assigned to.
James Garner, Shirley Jones , C Thomas Howell.
My dad was stationed at Ft Benning when they were filming it in ''83-'84 ish and got their autographs, so naturally he made me watch it as a kid.
Great movie if you haven't seen it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 04:18:58 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

• Ran when parked
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2020, 05:47:18 PM »
Th Adventures of Robin Hood,  Errol Flynn, Olivia DeHaviland, Basil Rathbone, Claude Raines

I'll take movies made before 1950, Alex!   :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline GNAP

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2020, 07:48:23 PM »

I'll take movies made before 1950, Alex!   :))

What is 1938??
jack

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2020, 08:05:00 PM »
I like movies that were filmed in Northern Nevada. The Misfits from 1961 starring Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe was filmed in this area to the NE. They named a valley Misfits Valley after shooting the horse capture scenes there.

<iframe width="987" height="555" src=" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Shootist from 1976 was filmed mainly in Carson City and was John Wayne's last movie. It also starred Lauren Bacall, Ron Howard, James Stewart and many more good actors.

https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi3813670937

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2020, 09:40:58 AM »
I've got a repro poster from.that movie someone bought me as a kid for some reason,  but I've never actually seen the movie.
Seen Errols appearance in Loony Tunes many times but I've yet to see this movie.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2020, 01:48:21 PM »
Well, just paid full price to see "Wonder Woman 1984" in the theater. Not as good as the first movie. Gal Gadot is absolutely stunning, and Chris Pine was funny as heck, but overall the movie just didn't do it for me.

Miss Gadot is slated to star in the new versions of "Cleopatra" and "Death on the Nile", and also a movie about the Hollywood actress Heady Lamarr. As I recall Heady Lamarr wasn't just a pretty face - she was actually quite intelligent and devised some sort of radar stuff during WW2. The War Department turned it down, but I think todays cellphone technology uses the principals she discovered. (Though she gets no credit). A stunner like Gal Gadot should be able to do Heady Lamarr justice.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shivaunefield/2018/02/28/hedy-lamarr-the-incredible-mind-behind-secure-wi-fi-gps-bluetooth/?sh=4b5a717241b7

• Ran when parked
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2020, 02:23:42 PM »
Gal Gadot is sure easy on the eyes.   ;)
boop/bop/beep

Offline GNAP

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2020, 03:45:55 PM »

She was on one of the late night talk shows, listening to her talk, reminded me of Christopher Walken, maybe easy on the eyes, but strange in the head
jack

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2020, 03:56:18 PM »

She was on one of the late night talk shows, listening to her talk, reminded me of Christopher Walken, maybe easy on the eyes, but strange in the head

And I believe she likes women better than men. But that is OK as I prefer women also. :lol_hitting:

• Ran when parked
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2020, 04:06:59 PM »

And I believe she likes women better than men. But that is OK as I prefer women also. :lol_hitting:

Really?  I never heard that before.

She's been married for twelve years with two kids.
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2020, 05:13:03 PM »
Wonder Woman can tie me up in her lasso of truth anytime....so long as my wife's not around to ask questions!  :))

Offline muddy

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2020, 05:46:04 PM »
Mandy and I watched the 2013 version of The Lady Vanishes. Pretty good. I really like psychological thrillers like that

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2020, 06:34:10 PM »
I admit that I was wrong but I thought I had heard that. Actually her husband and 2 children have a cameo role in WW 1984.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2020, 06:59:14 PM »
I admit that I was wrong but I thought I had heard that. Actually her husband and 2 children have a cameo role in WW 1984.
I heard that before somewhere too, but never cared enough to look Into it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2020, 08:22:24 PM »
As I recall, she did a scene in some movie that was widely touted as being a lesbian kind of thing. But with movie critics, who knows?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 08:26:53 PM by bonneyman »

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2020, 08:53:00 PM »
I watched a modern marvels on Nuts on netflix. I liked it.

I think the last one I saw in a theater we saw Yogi Bear. Been a decade or so.
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2020, 09:59:47 AM »
I watched a modern marvels on Nuts on netflix. I liked it.

I think the last one I saw in a theater we saw Yogi Bear. Been a decade or so.
About 10 or so years , I saw yogi bear in theatres on my birthday one year.
I enjoyed it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2020, 11:32:34 AM »
I've got a repro poster from.that movie someone bought me as a kid for some reason,  but I've never actually seen the movie.
Seen Errols appearance in Loony Tunes many times but I've yet to see this movie.

Somewhere out in the shop I have some movie posters a guy gave me at a movie company warehouse one day. I know one of them is a Chuck Norris Delta Force 3 poster possibly. The guy was pulling the folded posters out of boxes in a rack.