Author Topic: Movies worth paying money to see  (Read 11972 times)

Offline fatfillup

Movies worth paying money to see
« on: February 17, 2020, 07:51:29 AM »
Thought a thread on movies might help guide our entertainment decisions.  We don't have Netflix so movies we pay money for are either at the theater or Red Box. 

Recent ones

Rambo Last Blood   dark depressing tale  Neither wife or I enjoyed it

Jumanji    Rented that one and enjoyed it.  Mama liked it more then I did

Jumanji, The Next Level     Saw that one at the theater recently and we both liked it

Terminator Dark Fate      We both enjoyed this one

So post up some recent movies and your opinions, might save someone some time and money or steer us to a great flick

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Movies worth paying money to see
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 09:00:44 AM »
Mostly I watch Netflix. Can't remember the last movie I saw in a theater and can't even remember the last movie I saw in a theater I enjoyed and thought was worth the money.

My wife and I watched The Irishman on Netflix recently and enjoyed that mostly. We watched in about three or four sittings though not all at once. It was good but to me the book it was based on was much better.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 09:15:25 AM »
None of the Hollywood stuff is any good. Over the last decade most everything has to have a social justice theme, and it's getting pretty obvious what the agenda is. Netflix has some of that, but for the most part they take chances on new themes and non-Hollywood agendas. It's quite refreshing to see movies directed, produced, and acted by a fresh cadre of filmmakers that don't buy into all the Hollywood crap.

Just watched "The Foreigner" on Netflix last night -- starred Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. They both stepped outside their traditional typecast genres and delivered a good performance in a good old fashioned thriller plot.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:21:14 AM by goodfellow »

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 09:17:20 AM »
Last year I went to the theater for two movies in the first couple weeks of their release, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Joker.  I liked both and saw them again when they came to the discount theater.  Also saw Terminator, Dark Fate, which I knew would be redundant, but it was still entertaining.  Saw Richard Jewell last week, which was okay.

Ugh, the Irishman.  That what happens when you don't use an editor.   :34:

It's sad how so many movies are dumbed down or superhero movies these days.  I used to look forward to 1-2 movies a month when I was around twenty, but now it's only 1-2 a year at most.
boop/bop/beep

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 09:36:45 AM »
The Mrs. and I don't go out to movies much at all anymore. Unless a movie is one that really needs a big screen to get the impact (like "Gravity"), we usually just wait till movies get released on DVD and then rent. Much easier to pause the movie for bathroom breaks or discussion, back up to some dialogue we missed, and then the special features and the making of documentaries.

We have a cheap theater that runs the big movies at discount prices after they've completed their first run showings. We saw "Midway" that way and both of us liked it.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 10:11:30 AM »
The last time I was in a movie theater was 1996 to see Twister. I don't do Netflix and haven't watched a DVD in years. :sign0137:

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 11:20:23 AM »
We don't do the theater often but the local one just remodeled and the recliners are comfy and Tues are $7 so will do that now and again.

Will have to watch Midway.  Don't think Mama would like Joker

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 11:37:18 AM »
My wife and I watched the Netflix movie "The Highwaymen" starring Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson as Frank Hamer and Many Gault, the retired Texas Marshalls who hunted and eventually gunned down Bonnie & Clyde.

This movie unlike others about Bonnie & Clyde did not glamorize the couple and their crime spree, in fact, I think the only time their faces were shown was during the ambush.  The story is about these marshalls brought out of retirement while the Texas Marshall program was shut down by the governor.

We both enjoyed it.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 04:07:34 PM »
^^^^sounds great,,keep them coming

Offline eborcim

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 05:14:06 PM »
Ford vs. Ferrari was a really good movie.  Knives Out was pretty good for a whodunnit.  Kingsman series of movies are pretty good if you like british spy movies.  Bond movie coming out will probably be pretty good.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 07:29:58 PM »
The last movie I went to the theater for was Rodney Dangerfields Back to School. The girl I was dating at the time wanted to see a movie. I don't remember much about the show... or the girl.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 09:31:40 PM »
Looking forward to seeing a few movies: "1917" looks wild, and "Wonder Woman 2" sounds like it'll be a blast.
I've been liking the Fast and Furious movies (except 3) so F&F9 could be a winner.

Really liked the first two "Predator" movies. "If it bleeds, we can kill it!"  :lol_hitting:
But "The Predator" flopped so bad I don't think they'll be another one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:33:17 PM by bonneyman »

Offline walrus

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 06:04:09 AM »
Hadn't been to a movie theater in years but went to see Ford vs Ferrari. Great movie, will watch it again when I can see it at home.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 07:16:54 AM »
Moved to GA in 87, have not been to a move as 80 ........  Could not fathom what they must be like today with cell phones and the full blown esteems in high gear.

The best part of my cable, the music channels, verity on demand. Keep it a secret there are no commercials NADA

pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 07:22:02 AM »
Couple more to see.

Thanks for the input guys. Since we all have many things in common, the odds are good that our tastes in movies will be similar.  Obviously just because we all like tools doesn't mean our entertainment tastes will be identical, but I would rather take your guys recommendations then a film critics anyday :))