Author Topic: Movies worth paying money to see  (Read 11968 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Movies worth paying money to see
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2020, 07:04:48 AM »
I recently watched the 1993 film True Romance for the first time in at least 10 or 15 years. I didn't know that this film was adapted from a Quentin Tarantino screenplay until I recently watched it again.

It's a little over the top, and not family/child friendly by any stretch of the imagination. It has a deserved R rating.
But it is also a good film, performed poorly in the box office, but became a cult classic.

Ensemble cast including Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hopper, Val Kilmer, Brad Pitt, Christopher Walken, Samuel L. Jackson, and Gary Oldman among others.

Thanks for the tip. I pretty much like anything Christopher Walken is in - Great actor!!! Just saw his two "Prophecy" films again on cable TV this week, and really enjoyed them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2020, 09:50:31 AM »
Not really a movie, but the Mrs and I have been watching "Star Trek Continues" on youtube. Totally fan-made and supported, it supposedly finishes the original 5 year mission of the USS Enterprise. New actor recreate Kirk and the gang, but the sets, props, lighting, and music are faithful reproductions of the original. Special effects aren't bad, either. 11 episodes, worth checking out.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2020, 07:48:32 AM »
Not really a movie, but the Mrs and I have been watching "Star Trek Continues" on youtube. Totally fan-made and supported, it supposedly finishes the original 5 year mission of the USS Enterprise. New actor recreate Kirk and the gang, but the sets, props, lighting, and music are faithful reproductions of the original. Special effects aren't bad, either. 11 episodes, worth checking out.

Thanks for the tip George - that "Star Trek Continues" series is a great effort by a really talented team of folks. Brought me back to the mid-1960s

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2020, 07:21:51 PM »
If you have Netflix there are some good Russian series running. I know Russian stuff isn't all that popular but it's pretty good entertainment and gives a view of life in Russia (although I suspect more what they want to show than what they really live but even that is pretty revealing).

Better Than Us is a SciFi series about androids, specifically one that does not obey Assimovs Three Laws. It is well done and as presented believable although not probable. The star, Paulina Andreeva is very talented and very watchable.

The same actress, Paulina Andreeva also stars in another series as Esenya Steklovain The Method about a detective who is more of a serial killer sanctioned by the state although generally viewed as a great detective who solves the unsolvable cases or as very controversial but in reality he disposes of serious criminals normally able to slip through the craccks in the justice system there or to avoid long and public trials. He takes Steklovain, who idolizes him as a great detective, under his wing as a trainee. Very engaging.

The final one is called Siver Spoon about a spoiled rich and privileged kid who goes one step too far and is forced to become a cop by his father who wants to punish him and teach him a lesson. He objects at first but gradually becomes dedicated to being a cop and wins over (most) of his skeptical colleagues. He also solves who murdered his mother who had been officially listed as a suicide.

I might make some additional recommendations on other stuff from foreign sources later.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2020, 08:28:37 PM »
We watched Gemini Man and Fast and furious,  Shaw and Hobbs

WE enjoyed both

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2020, 04:25:36 AM »
Cable company is providing free movies on demand while we are on lock down.  Very nice gesture of them.  So while we are not paying directly for it, I will let you know what we enjoyed.

Mama and I normally enjoy action  movies and comedys.  Nothing too heavy.  Well we watched a movie last evening that was based on a true story called Green Book.  It was about  A Stereotypical  Italian  New Yorker who is hired by an unsterotypical well educated black musician to drive him on a musical tour in the south during the early 60's.  Excellent movie.  Poignant but lots of laughs and some action also .  Highly recommend it

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2020, 10:25:10 AM »
Watched a good movie that's a few years old but I never saw - "Max". About a military dog that loses his handler in battle and what happens to it afterwards. A tear jerker for sure.

Included a bonus short about military dogs and their training, and how the actors had to learn how to read the dogs. Definitely would NOT want to be on the bad side of one of those animals!  :-\

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2020, 07:59:17 AM »
Mama and I watched a movie last night we really enjoyed, Diary of a Mad Black Woman.  It was funny, dramatic, had some villians, a redemption story and a love story all wrapped up in one. 

Any movie recommendations as we enter winter?  They can be old or new,

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2020, 09:56:48 AM »
Changing Lanes is pretty good, Ben Affleck and Samuel L Jackson.  From 2002.  Just saw this recently for the first time in years.

Some violence and "only in the movies" coincidences, but entertaining nonetheless.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »
This is pretty good
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2020, 02:08:56 PM »
Th Adventures of Robin Hood,  Errol Flynn, Olivia DeHaviland, Basil Rathbone, Claude Raines
jack

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2020, 04:16:48 PM »
Mama and I watched a movie last night we really enjoyed, Diary of a Mad Black Woman.  It was funny, dramatic, had some villians, a redemption story and a love story all wrapped up in one. 

Any movie recommendations as we enter winter?  They can be old or new,
Tank. About an Army officer who uses his restored Sherman tank to take on the corrupt sherriff of a small town near the base he was recently assigned to.
James Garner, Shirley Jones , C Thomas Howell.
My dad was stationed at Ft Benning when they were filming it in ''83-'84 ish and got their autographs, so naturally he made me watch it as a kid.
Great movie if you haven't seen it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 04:18:58 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2020, 05:47:18 PM »
Th Adventures of Robin Hood,  Errol Flynn, Olivia DeHaviland, Basil Rathbone, Claude Raines

I'll take movies made before 1950, Alex!   :))
boop/bop/beep

Offline GNAP

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2020, 07:48:23 PM »

I'll take movies made before 1950, Alex!   :))

What is 1938??
jack

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2020, 08:05:00 PM »
I like movies that were filmed in Northern Nevada. The Misfits from 1961 starring Clark Gable and Marilyn Monroe was filmed in this area to the NE. They named a valley Misfits Valley after shooting the horse capture scenes there.

<iframe width="987" height="555" src=" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Shootist from 1976 was filmed mainly in Carson City and was John Wayne's last movie. It also starred Lauren Bacall, Ron Howard, James Stewart and many more good actors.

https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi3813670937