Author Topic: What happened to bicycle tire prices?  (Read 4904 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: What happened to bicycle tire prices?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 08:59:05 PM »
Cool bike.  Worth a few bucks to make right.
Even the $38 those White wall tires cost would be worth it if I buy them, at this point the tubes and some work is all I've got into it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 09:54:36 PM »
I paid maybe five bucks each for new street tread blackwall 16" tires.  Got three usable tires and five tubes in a sack on the patio.  Can't give them away here.

Its 20 and 24" I can't find usable used tires.  I need a couple as emergency spares.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 10:17:09 PM »
The Stowaway is a nice unit. I've owned probably 7 by now in various speeds and configurations, and am down to 2 matching ones now. Here's the twin to yours. I refurbed it to flip it (really needing to downsize the collection). You'll see the fenders and chain guard that came on them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 11:02:12 PM »
I like the stow-away's look swell, especially if you're riding in an urban area. I've read where you can take bikes on the subways at non-packed hours. Regular bikes as well but being able to fold up the bike would make it even better.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 11:41:18 PM »
The Stowaway is a nice unit. I've owned probably 7 by now in various speeds and configurations, and am down to 2 matching ones now. Here's the twin to yours. I refurbed it to flip it (really needing to downsize the collection). You'll see the fenders and chain guard that came on them.
Yep, the fenders on mine were broken so I took 'em off.
I also don't have the little wheel on the bottom that allows you to roll the folded bike around, but at least I have the rack which I forgot to put back on before taking the picture.

Yours are definitely nice, just about every chrome part on mine was heavily peppered with rust and it took hours of scrubbing with windex and aluminum foil to get the rust off.
It looks fine from a few feet away, but not so great up close since you can still tell where the rust was.
It would be nice if it was in better cosmetic condition,  but since it was free I don't mind.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 11:48:16 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2020, 11:36:46 AM »
Not all the Dahons had the small wheel for folding up and rolling. I'm not sure of the era those are specific to, but have seen enough of them to know they didnt all come with them.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2020, 11:47:21 AM »
Not all the Dahons had the small wheel for folding up and rolling. I'm not sure of the era those are specific to, but have seen enough of them to know they didnt all come with them.
It may not have come with it then, it can accept one for sure though .

I really find their old commercial amusing with the idea that a business man will ride this to work, fold it up, and with their briefcase on the back use the fully extended seat to roll this through a large office building,  on the elevator, and park it in their office or cubicle.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2020, 01:19:04 PM »
The upscale version is Brompton. Their website link is below the vid.

All sorts of higher end configurations. Want the titanium version? They have it.  :)

Whoops...didnt mean to derail this thread. Hmm....or DID I?  :25: