Author Topic: New Craftsman tools: any good?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline bonneyman

New Craftsman tools: any good?
« on: December 13, 2020, 07:02:09 PM »
Went by my old job (Ace Hardware) and started talking to one of the new guys about Craftsman tools. He said they are junk. Oh sure, they still have a warranty - but they've been told to tell customers they have to call Craftsman directly! Anything they get turned in 
(that's been authorized) gets dumped in the trash - Craftsman doesn't want the old tools back! So the guys end up keeping most of it if it's useable.

Have you guys seen or heard about this shift in policy?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: New Craftsman tools: any good?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 07:55:59 PM »
From what I heard before COVID, SB&D was still working with Asian supplier contracts put in place by Sears Holdings. The intent was to eventually move a large portion of that production back to the US. That plan was confirmed by the SB&D chairman as late as 2019. Lord only knows what the status is of that plan now that we have to deal with the COVID situation.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 10:01:03 PM »
I believe Lowes is currently handling CM returns a lot differently but I have read a receipt will need to be involved starting in the near future.

I can't count how many meetings I've been dragged to where the new management (team as they call themselves) blabbered on about how great things were going to be and how this and that were being implemented even as they speak.

As Burl Ives used to sing:
And the hens lay soft-boiled eggs
The farmers' trees are full of fruit
And the barns are full of hay
Oh I'm bound to go
Where there ain't no snow
Where the rain don't fall
The wind don't blow
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

All of which never happened of course. Not saying that's the case with SBD but I never believe until it happens and then I wonder for how long.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 10:27:27 PM »
No clue, once they went Chicom I stopped looking at their new stuff and never looked back. I just count myself lucky I bought tools as heavily as I did through the years.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 05:12:08 AM »
All know is I've I've experienced 2 of the chicom raised panel ratchets that were gifts, and I was not happy with the quality.
The handles were extremely sharp.

No clue about a lot of the Taiwanese stuff Lowes is offering,  but that's not something I'll ever have any experience with.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 09:53:22 AM »
Could it be that they're still selling old inventory? I mean, I understand they don't want to be left holding millions of dollars in tools because of the previous owners decisions. They have to unload all the previous stuff and then bring out the USA made tools. Different parts of the country would thus get the USA rollout at different times.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 10:38:01 AM »
Well I will be the sucker. I needed a set of tools for a remote location. I picked up that set in the versatak comparable box.  Something around 200 pcs I forget was 99 bucks. My criteria? Cheap, organised, and fairly comprehensive yet not doubles of everything. Notice top quality or finish wasn't on the list?

Upon inspection, I was surprised. Yes it has the usual driver bits and allen wrenches but not over the top.  Sae and metric 6 point socket in standard and deep. Same thing in 3/8 and a fairly large 12 pt 1/2 inch selection. I think up to 1 1/8 and 20 something mm. Something many sets don't do.  A basic set of wrenches although I wish they went all of the way to 3/4 and 19mm.

The good? They seem well made and well finished. Not 100 1/4 drive sockets in 6 and 12 point standard and deep. Same with 3/8. A good selection of sizes from 1/4 - 1/2 drive that makes sense ( why have 3/8 sockets to 15/16 and  1/2 stop at 3/4?). The ratchets seem pretty decent. The case has 3 drawers and a little room to add if needed unlike the normal clam shell attache style  that is always upside down when you open it.

The bad? Not much really. The tools seem a little chunky but not horrid. There is a little fluff but most of it is actually usable.  As usual there are some sockets in the small sizes that are unneeded but most sets have them. It could use a breaker but none of these sets ever have them.

Overall for the price I rate this set pretty good and pretty good value.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 11:07:38 AM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 08:23:48 PM »
Well I will be the sucker. I needed a set of tools for a remote location. I picked up that set in the versatak comparable box.  Something around 200 pcs I forget was 99 bucks. My criteria? Cheap, organised, and fairly comprehensive yet not doubles of everything. Notice top quality or finish wasn't on the list?

Upon inspection, I was surprised. Yes it has the usual driver bits and allen wrenches but not over the top.  Sae and metric 6 point socket in standard and deep. Same thing in 3/8 and a fairly large 12 pt 1/2 inch selection. I think up to 1 1/8 and 20 something mm. Something many sets don't do.  A basic set of wrenches although I wish they went all of the way to 3/4 and 19mm.

The good? They seem well made and well finished. Not 100 1/4 drive sockets in 6 and 12 point standard and deep. Same with 3/8. A good selection of sizes from 1/4 - 1/2 drive that makes sense ( why have 3/8 sockets to 15/16 and  1/2 stop at 3/4?). The ratchets seem pretty decent. The case has 3 drawers and a little room to add if needed unlike the normal clam shell attache style  that is always upside down when you open it.

The bad? Not much really. The tools seem a little chunky but not horrid. There is a little fluff but most of it is actually usable.  As usual there are some sockets in the small sizes that are unneeded but most sets have them. It could use a breaker but none of these sets ever have them.

Any links to the set you got? I'm looking for cheaper tools for the home box. I know a certain little boy is gonna be like his dad and play with/ lose his tools....

That and using them a couple times a month I can't justify top dollar stuff.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2020, 08:25:02 PM »
Could it be that they're still selling old inventory? I mean, I understand they don't want to be left holding millions of dollars in tools because of the previous owners decisions. They have to unload all the previous stuff and then bring out the USA made tools. Different parts of the country would thus get the USA rollout at different times.
I haven't heard that they lined up a factory yet?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 08:35:02 PM »

Any links to the set you got? I'm looking for cheaper tools for the home box. I know a certain little boy is gonna be like his dad and play with/ lose his tools....

At this point you're probably better off buying big box store sets (Home Depot or Lowes) Tim. They're decent quality, and they discount those 230+ sets constantly for less than $100. Probably even more discounted this close to Christmas.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 09:11:55 PM »
https://www.craftsman.com/products/automotive-tools/mechanics-tool-sets/cmmt99206--216-pc-versastack-3-drawer-mechanics-tool-set

this set was 99 bucks at ace with ace rewards after thanksgiving.

there was a  lowes set of husky for 99 bucks as well. i looked at it and was going to buy one but  it was out of stock. it was fortunate as when i really looked at them both, the cman had less fluff, a wider selection of tool usable tool sizes and more versatility with the case. it has some room to add a few things or remove some and add others.  it also has the capability to attach to other versastack and dewalt tstak boxes. smaller cman and dewalt plastic boxes that come with bit sets and drill bits can also attach to the sides of the box.

my .02 worth, the only advantage the husky set had was the ratchets that are the danher style. in the end it wasn't enough difference to outweigh it in this application. the issue may be finding one at 99 bucks i think it is worth more than what i purchased it for but not the  200 or so it normally goes for.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 09:21:07 PM by skfarmer »
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 10:40:49 PM »

At this point you're probably better off buying big box store sets (Home Depot or Lowes) Tim. They're decent quality, and they discount those 230+ sets constantly for less than $100. Probably even more discounted this close to Christmas.
Thing is Craftsman is a big box stores tool now. The Lowe's 5 minutes from my house pushes Craftsman and has very little in Kobalt stock any more.

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2020, 10:45:51 PM »
https://www.craftsman.com/products/automotive-tools/mechanics-tool-sets/cmmt99206--216-pc-versastack-3-drawer-mechanics-tool-set

this set was 99 bucks at ace with ace rewards after thanksgiving.

there was a  lowes set of husky for 99 bucks as well. i looked at it and was going to buy one but  it was out of stock. it was fortunate as when i really looked at them both, the cman had less fluff, a wider selection of tool usable tool sizes and more versatility with the case. it has some room to add a few things or remove some and add others.  it also has the capability to attach to other versastack and dewalt tstak boxes. smaller cman and dewalt plastic boxes that come with bit sets and drill bits can also attach to the sides of the box.

my .02 worth, the only advantage the husky set had was the ratchets that are the danher style. in the end it wasn't enough difference to outweigh it in this application. the issue may be finding one at 99 bucks i think it is worth more than what i purchased it for but not the  200 or so it normally goes for.
Thanks I'll keep my eye out for a deal.