Author Topic: Compact 1/4dr speeder  (Read 3049 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Compact 1/4dr speeder
« on: March 04, 2021, 06:58:38 PM »
I like speeders and wanted one in 1/4dr but you'll never find one that fits in a 1/4 set, so I decided to make one.

Bought a cheap set of extra long extensions from HF, and modified the 12".
Just heat, bend, and wire wheel to an even finish.
For a tool this size I'm not worried about the effects the heat has had on it.

As it is right now it works, it's not the greatest thing ever without some kind of handle or knob I still have to figure out, but it works.
I'd rather have something that turns,  but I can just attach my spinner handle to it and just palm it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

Re: Compact 1/4dr speeder
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 08:50:39 PM »
the best compact speeder for any size is a flex head ratchet. break it loose, then flip the handle up and grab it down by the head with one hand and the top with the other hand and spin it. I've done this for years while working in the field.
An old wino showed me that trick 35 years ago. We were working on a seed processing plant in Alabama and had about a million bolts to remove from a conveyor auger. Way before battery powered tools came along.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 10:21:52 PM »
the best compact speeder for any size is a flex head ratchet. break it loose, then flip the handle up and grab it down by the head with one hand and the top with the other hand and spin it. I've done this for years while working in the field.
An old wino showed me that trick 35 years ago. We were working on a seed processing plant in Alabama and had about a million bolts to remove from a conveyor auger. Way before battery powered tools came along.
I've tried that and it felt awkward to me, I just prefer a dedicated speeder I guess.
I'll use the 1/4 flex in a screwdriver type fashion on occasion but even that doesn't seem very ideal to me.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 08:37:32 AM »
There are some old school, all steel 1/4 drive spin  handle/extensions. The handle locks to the shaft to use as a handle or unlocks for use as an extension and the shaft spins freely in the handle.

Might be just the ticket for this application.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 09:16:59 AM »
There are some old school, all steel 1/4 drive spin  handle/extensions. The handle locks to the shaft to use as a handle or unlocks for use as an extension and the shaft spins freely in the handle.

Here is the Williams version. Top image is locked, bottom is handle in freewheel.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 10:40:55 AM »

Here is the Williams version. Top image is locked, bottom is handle in freewheel.
Now that is cool.
Something like that would be awesome,  maybe I should keep an eye out on Ebay.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 12:35:47 PM »
I think I came up with something that's gonna work out pretty well.

I cut in a groove, and used one of the crappy drill bit stops I had.
I rounded the tip of it a bit, screwed it in where I wanted it, then staked it in place with a punch.

If I was to do this again I might just find a bearing to press on, that would work great and be so much easier.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 02:56:57 PM »
Nice looking bends on the speeder.

Never used a speeder much and rarely sell any.  Nice for when you need to feel how the bolt is going in though

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 03:53:06 PM »
Nice looking bends on the speeder.

Never used a speeder much and rarely sell any.  Nice for when you need to feel how the bolt is going in though

Definitely! If you hadn't said you heated and bent it, I wouldn't have been able to tell.  :great:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 04:32:41 PM »
Thanks.
I used a deadblow mallet for what I could and a small piece of pipe over the ends to make those bends.
I then wire wheeled it all down to remove the temper coloring and give an even satin finish.
Always lookin' to learn