Author Topic: A discussion of main 1/4 user sets  (Read 3753 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

A discussion of main 1/4 user sets
« on: March 10, 2021, 03:05:16 PM »
The main thing I want to talk about is preferences in a main 1/4 user set, what you like your socket set to include...ect.

But I also want to talk about current American made 1/4 sets from the more industrial / non pro mechanic non truck brands.
Namely what they offer for the money, and a comparison to what I payed for the WRIGHT set I compiled.

I'm rounding off hear excluding the change.

Minus the flex head ratchet this is pretty typical of a nice complete 1/4 set, and basically everything I want just a regular socket set to include.( this lives in my snapon party box 1/4 super set )

46 pieces sae and metric included,  $356 before tax & shipping all tallied up ,$414 with the flex head included .

The largest 1/4 set WRIGHT offers, 35 pieces SAE, ranges from $250-$350 +/- depending where you buy it.

Proto, 37 piece sae, average $268.

William's,  38 piece sae,  average $245.

And the SK offerings.
44 piece sae & metric, average $175 .

48 piece sae & metric, average $195.

60 piece sae & metric, average $280.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 06:12:10 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: A discussion of main 1/4 user sets
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 03:15:15 PM »
Wright does not offer a complete 1/4 set with everything I want, they also don't currently make a 1/4 sliding T so I have an old Craftsman.
If I bought their 35pc set for say $250 I'd get a 4" extension some bit sockets and a few 12pt sockets that I really don't need ,I  would have to spend about $140 for the metric sockets.
Buying my stuff individually I came out ahead by about $40 , basically not paying for those 12pt and bit sockets I don't need.

Proto - 37pc, sliding T, flex extension, spinner with female drive, can be had for about the same price as the 35pc WRIGHT set.

William's-  38pc, sliding T , flex extension, spinner handle has female drive but I believe it's Taiwanese,  cost just a few bux less than the 35pc WRIGHT set.

And on to SK
Set #1 - 44pc , ratchet,  2 extensions,  41 sockets, no universal or other drive handles, average $60 less than the 35pc Wright set
set #2 - 48pc, 41 sockets, ratchet, 3 extensions,  3/8 adapter,  universal, palm ratchet, average about $50 less than the 35pc WRIGHT set.
Set #3 - 60pc, 54 sockets, ratchet, 3 extensions, 3/8 adapter, universal, average $30 more than the 35pc WRIGHT set.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 04:21:41 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 04:00:18 PM »
With all this, what I see is that SK has the best pricing.
They lack a couple tools in their sets that I quite like though.

One could easily buy set #2 add a flex handle " breaker bar " and a spinner handle for an additional $50 , and come out way ahead than I did with my Wright set.
I think you'd probably get their recent dual position mechanism too ( WRIGHT offers a similar mechanism) , you would definitely have way more socket sizes because they go up to 15mm and 9/16, and you'd have their little palm ratchet.

I quite like the Wright Contour grip though,  I made my bed and am happy to lie in it  :)
I didn't buy everything all at once , but I'd certainly be feeling the sting if I had.

Of these current American made options,  which would you choose ?
Are you willing to say complete an SK or Wright set yourself,  do without the spinner and flex handles, or be happy without the additional sockets in the sets which include these 2 handles ?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 06:17:35 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 07:31:54 AM »
pretty tough to beat the sk sets, especially the 48 pc. my only fault with it and it is a big on, the lack of including or having  a spot in the molded case for a drive handle.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline highland512

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 07:39:57 AM »
Im not real big on buying large sets. Who uses a sliding T-handle or any of those bits? I feel like your just buying a "mines bigger" box.

I am a big fan of the SK sets in in the blow molded cases though. I have the 1/4 and 3/8 drive sets that include both sae and metric with shallow and deep sockets. I carry them in my truck and love the fact that I can grab one box and know the correct socket will be in there. Another requirement for my 1/4 sae sets is a 9/16 socket. 

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 10:08:58 AM »
Im not real big on buying large sets. Who uses a sliding T-handle or any of those bits? I feel like your just buying a "mines bigger" box.

I am a big fan of the SK sets in in the blow molded cases though. I have the 1/4 and 3/8 drive sets that include both sae and metric with shallow and deep sockets. I carry them in my truck and love the fact that I can grab one box and know the correct socket will be in there. Another requirement for my 1/4 sae sets is a 9/16 socket.
I still love a good sliding T, but I can do without it if I had to.

As far as large sets It's just nice to have one extensive complete set that's all the same, then you know the socket fit is going ot be the same and theres just a general familiarity.

For me it's also a bit of the tool lover / enthusiast side of things combined with practicality.
I think I may just have a subconscious goal to have the coolest 1/4 set around , but practicality has to be a big concern I may obsess a bit about 1/4 sets but don't go crazy.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 10:26:10 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 10:11:27 AM »
pretty tough to beat the sk sets, especially the 48 pc. my only fault with it and it is a big on, the lack of including or having  a spot in the molded case for a drive handle.
I don't like blow moulded cases anyway,  so I personally would look for an older metal SK box to use.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 11:07:35 AM »
I don't like blow moulded cases anyway,  so I personally would look for an older metal SK box to use.

One advantage of blow molded cases is that they keep the tools from suffering box rash. Try having tools riding in a box for years and see if the chrome is perfect after that.
With the prices I paid for some of my tools why not have them staying in great shape.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 11:11:12 AM »
 I prefer the blow molded cases over metal ones. The blow molded cases have their own issues as well such a the hinge and latches break with age. They are a bit impact resistance . If you drop it , they seem to survive.  Metal boxes seem to dent and bend if you drop them. How many metal boxes do see at a yard sale where the lid wont close ??

I really like the SK sets in the blow molded cases. I have the same large set from Snap On. I have another set on socket rails plus a bunch of other sets that stay in the main box.  I think you can do better if you buy sets when they go on sale or used.

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 11:33:12 AM »
Have the sk sets in 3/8 and 1/4 and they do everything i ask bought both used and have less then 150 in both

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 11:37:02 AM »

One advantage of blow molded cases is that they keep the tools from suffering box rash. Try having tools riding in a box for years and see if the chrome is perfect after that.
With the prices I paid for some of my tools why not have them staying in great shape.
It's just my personal situation I suppose.
My boxes are smaller as is my garage and the metal boxes save space, I also have the luxury of choosing based on what I find more cool regardless of ultimate practicality.
I understand the practicality of a well executed blow moulded case though, the higher end companies seem to know how to keep bulk down as much as they can too.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 01:05:38 PM »

My boxes are smaller as is my garage and the metal boxes save space, I also have the luxury of choosing based on what I find more cool regardless of ultimate practicality.
I understand the practicality of a well executed blow moulded case though, the higher end companies seem to know how to keep bulk down as much as they can too.

it's all about perception. i look at your socket rails and think what a bunch of wasted space. i don't care for plastic rails as they look like crap when they are only partially filled  and look worse if you cut them off.   for that reason i use metal rails and can trim and grind them  to the correct length and shape for the application. the next guy may complain about metal rails  and issues they may have.

not mocking your stuff but what may work for you is completely foreign and assbackwords to the next guy.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 01:43:06 PM »

it's all about perception. i look at your socket rails and think what a bunch of wasted space. i don't care for plastic rails as they look like crap when they are only partially filled  and look worse if you cut them off.   for that reason i use metal rails and can trim and grind them  to the correct length and shape for the application. the next guy may complain about metal rails  and issues they may have.

not mocking your stuff but what may work for you is completely foreign and assbackwords to the next guy.
I don't use them, that's just what everything came on.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline Midnitemack

A discussion of main 1/4 user sets
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2021, 03:37:54 PM »
My users  , well I guess I’m the “minimalist guy” , just Craftsman vintage Std & Wilde metric sockets ,smooth Husky ratchet, SK spinner handle and a couple of extensions occupying their respective places in a Montezuma Triangle box .

That’ll do most things .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 07:32:02 PM by Midnitemack »

Online muddy

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2021, 09:04:00 PM »
For me SK would get my money same quality for less me. That just me being a cheapass who loves bargains/deals

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Offline walrus

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 07:12:08 AM »
My service truck set, 29.95 without the snappie hard handle which is worth more than the set . It gets used all the time or at least the sae part does. Had it  for many years, it gets rode hard and put away wet or snowy depends on season. Probably should have polished it before taking pics. I couldn't get a socket out the other day it was froze in the ice :) oh yeah plastic doesn't rust ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2021, 07:41:59 AM »
My users  , well I guess I’m the “minimalist guy” , just Craftsman vintage Std & Wilde metric sockets ,smooth Husky ratchet, SK spinner handle and a couple of extensions occupying their respective places in a Montezuma Triangle box .

That’ll do most things .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
minimalist? that looks like the 1/4 inch+ set to me.  :))