Author Topic: Tool Boxes - What do you have  (Read 38712 times)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
Re: Tool Boxes - What do you have
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »
Here are my 2 most recent acquisitions.

Snap-on K-11 Master Handikit, made by Duplex (cantilever). I think this is wartime? Nice original paint under lid.

Kennedy 220R- I think. The p/o of this box said it was given to him in the 70s and it was a factory 2nd, it looks to be original. Lower drawer is lighter red. There isn't a Kennedy sticker in the drawers nor is the script on the lid, but has 2 new looking Kennedy keys. And those aluminum extrusion pulls screams 'Kennedy!'

Very nice, both boxes!
boop/bop/beep

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2018, 02:55:31 PM »
Anyone have any idea who made the portaliner cabinet I posted ?
And what what The bear means ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »

All I can tell you is that bear image was the trademark image for Bear wheel alignment systems used in front end alignment shops for decades. No clue if they are still in business but when I was a kid you saw the image of that Bear over auto shops all over.

Given the name portaliner I would assume that case was supposed to hold all the Bear gear to use it portable perhaps. No clue who made the box though but that thing was absolutely used for Bear alignment gear stowage.

Read about the company here: http://www.roadarch.com/signs/bear.html

« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 03:58:45 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2018, 04:18:23 PM »
Bear is still around I believe and they do indeed make alignment equipment. The Potaliner cabinet is for some of the specialized stuff used in alignments. I believe it predates the four wheel alignment machines  and was just for front wheel servive.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2018, 04:19:11 PM »

All I can tell you is that bear image was the trademark image for Bear wheel alignment systems used in front end alignment shops for decades. No clue if they are still in business but when I was a kid you saw the image of that Bear over auto shops all over.

Given the name portaliner I would assume that case was supposed to hold all the Bear gear to use it portable perhaps. No clue who made the box though but that thing was absolutely used for Bear alignment gear stowage.

Read about the company here: http://www.roadarch.com/signs/bear.html
Thanks for the info on the Bear .
After a quick Google search I've found that these cabinets would have been stocked with Alignment tools, all of which were blue in color.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2018, 06:10:55 PM »
Good to hear it will be used.

Oh yes I have a lot of tools but not enough storage. Not sure what's going in Snap-on box yet but I had a duplex previously, gave it to my mom bc she was in love with it and needed a hand box. I wanted another since, so score!

The Kennedy is getting my overflow machinist tools in it.

Offline muddy

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2018, 07:35:59 PM »
Here's my setup at work.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2018, 09:24:10 PM »
I like those small Waterloo top boxes Tim. I have a twin to that one myself.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2018, 10:32:45 PM »
I like that box too, it seems like basically a different version of my '74 produced Dayton electric badged box.

How is it compared to a more conventional box like mine with the locking bars in the top ?
With mine I removed the locking bars so I can open the drawers without having to open the top or leave it open so my tools get dusty...ect
It got annoying having to remember to pull the drawers out a little bit so they wouldn't lock on me.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2018, 08:54:54 PM »
I could use a bigger box on top, everything is getting a little cramped and cluttered.

Something like this...

Offline muddy

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2018, 08:55:39 PM »
I like that box too, it seems like basically a different version of my '74 produced Dayton electric badged box.

How is it compared to a more conventional box like mine with the locking bars in the top ?
With mine I removed the locking bars so I can open the drawers without having to open the top or leave it open so my tools get dusty...ect
It got annoying having to remember to pull the drawers out a little bit so they wouldn't lock on me.
This one the whole front fold down to cover the drawers

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2018, 09:45:16 PM »

This one the whole front fold down to cover the drawers

That's what I figured.
I was wondering how you like it this way over a box such as mine.
Of course the drawers don't lock so you don't have to worry about that, but you would also have to lift the front to open a drawer if you don't want to keep the top open.

I think if the locking bars on mine could not be disconnected then I'd rather have your box and just lift the front every time, I really could not get over dealing with the drawers locking on me.
I'd inevitably close a drawer all the way which would end up locking when I opened the top, then I'd go to open that drawer which would be locked.
Of course then I'd have to make sure every drawer was closed only about 90% so , and it would still end up happening again.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2018, 06:14:49 AM »
I'm always in the top so it doesn't really matter to me.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2018, 08:12:17 AM »
if i worked in a shop and locked my tools every day i would be all over  a box like that muddy. a few drawers for storage and small hutch on top for chargers and frequently used cordless tools  and air tools.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »
Here's my setup at work.

Love it -- "workin' man's" box. Great setup Tim.