Author Topic: HF electric metal shear -- awesome!!  (Read 8309 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
HF electric metal shear -- awesome!!
« on: August 16, 2018, 12:55:21 PM »
I ordered this tool some years ago and decided to give it a good workout before I posted something on an HF electric tool. I've used it now for eight years and have to say that this is one of the best buys I've made in a very long time.

AND another surprise, the instructions are in English and French (not Spanish) - so these shears must be sold in Canada as well.

Well, I can definitely say that this $39 shear has proven to be in the same class as a Bosch 1500C. It cuts like a dream -- even edges, and very fast. Unlike the Bosch (which is rated at 16 ga), this HF is rated at 18ga. Not a big deal for me since I mostly work in 18 and 20 ga metal. Just for the heck of it I did cut a small piece of 16ga, and the shear cut it just fine, but I wouldn't risk it for too many large 16ga pieces.

Nice heavy feel and a good balance --

18 ga. is smooth as silk and leaves a very clean cut.

I'm astonished at the fit, finish, performance, and workmanship of this product. It's a true workhorse and I'm glad I took a chance on this thing. It's quickly become my favorite electric tool, and runs circles around the older pneumatic double blade shears that I have. Those old shears only work on 20 ga and they leave a very mangled edge -- not a very elegant tool.

This thing is going in the "crap" drawer

I didn't know what to expect. My only experience with electric shears has been with an old B&D industrial shear that was super heavy duty and could cut up to 12 ga.; so this tool is not in that class. The only other tool that I do know well is the Bosch 16 gauge 1500C, and it is a sweet tool to use. But it's expensive -- anywhere from $300 - $400.  i also believe that the new versions of the 1500C are now made in China (or made with Chinese parts).

In my humble opinion the HF version cuts and feels just as good, and the price is just phenomenal for such a useful power tool.