Author Topic: Is this Floor Jack Repairable?  (Read 3463 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Is this Floor Jack Repairable?
« on: December 22, 2019, 04:10:09 PM »
This weekend I replaced the lower ball joints and sway bar links in my 2005 F150 (another topic).  While raising and lower my Sears floor jack I noticed that it did not raise normally.  Closer inspection showed that there is some fluid leaking.

I've had this Craftsman Professional for many years and although it is Chinese-made it has always served me well.  So does anyone know if this is repairable?  I don't have any experience with this type of repair but if it just takes a couple of new seals and fluid I'd like to fix it.

Any info and parts sources are appreciated.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Is this Floor Jack Repairable?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 05:08:46 PM »
Former member Hiball posted a very detailed tutorial thread about such a rebuild. It went away with the former GG crash, but the thread exists over at the GJ.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51105

I've used his tutorial for repairing my own Chinese HF jack.

Nick, in case you lost the original, you can also download a user manual from HF for a jack that closely resembles your own in order to use the detailed parts list for parts identification and nomenclature. Most of these Chinese jacks are pretty much the same design. That will help in following along with Hiball's tutorial.

Good Luck!!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 05:11:44 PM by goodfellow »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 06:05:43 PM »
I recently had some issues with my Chinese floor jack leaking. It turned out to be a bad oring at the piston end. I had one in my oring kit and was back in bidness.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 11:21:37 AM »
Thanks all, I'll be tearing it apart and try to figure out what I need.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 02:18:22 PM »
Please post some pics for a “how to” on this type of rebuild. We need one for the GG

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 07:23:28 AM »
Agreed a jack like that is repairable. If you can order the correct parts it is a bit easier, but even if you cannot, you can always match the right parts to make the repair.

The biggest issue is always the labor it takes to repair them. Doing a total rebuild on a jack is not a one hour job. 
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Elroy

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
Doing a total rebuild on a jack is not a one hour job.

Isn't that the truth. Took Elroy nearly 8 weeks to "restore"the O'Boy.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 08:12:44 PM »
Please post some pics for a “how to” on this type of rebuild. We need one for the GG

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the link to Hiball's very informative thread on rebuilding these jacks.  Its been going for 10 years!

I finally got the jack on the bench and removed the pump from the frame which is pretty straightforward.  The fluid appeared to be leaking from the filler plug and appeared to be under some air pressure as the ram was retracted.  I had to break out the pipe wrench and hammer to disassemble. 

Will be heading over to HF for a package of metric o-rings soon, hope that takes care of it.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 03:00:42 PM »
Not quite sure I've repaired anything or needed to.

I say this because after going through all of this I did not find any obvious failing component.  With the kit from HF I replaced all the o-rings with the exception of the outer "tank" part of the jack.  After replacing both valve rings I had a very obvious leak from one of the valves.  This was after replacing the o-ring with one from the kit that was decidedly thinner.  I then put both the originals back in place.

A quick test without a load has it working properly but if I had to do it again without an obvious leak I would drain, refill, drain and refill again to clean any debris and then go from there if necessary.
Nick
Yorktown, VA