Author Topic: Got an electrical question regarding GFIC outlets.  (Read 3919 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Got an electrical question regarding GFIC outlets.
« on: December 22, 2019, 09:46:13 PM »
The short of it is that the breaker sometimes gets tripped when I'm working in the garage and I'm wondering if i replace my outlet with a GFIC should it just trip instead of the breaker in the box outside ?
I know there's probably a cause I should eliminate first and there are probably factors thetsy determine whether or not this will work, but I figured I'd ask in case it really can be this simple.

The tools I ordered from HJE for my electrical kit are at the post office and I should have them tomorrow, so I figured this would be the perfect chance to give them a test run.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

Re: Got an electrical question regarding GFIC outlets.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 08:39:28 AM »
Can't help with your shorting issue but by all means get one of these recepticle holders. After getting bit by 110 volts over the years this makes it alot easier.

https://www.licensedelectrician.com/Store/RT/PlugGrip.htm

P.S. They're saying it's NLA. Maybe you can find one at a thrift store like mine?

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 09:43:03 AM »
it depends on whats causing the trip. a gfci monitors watts going out on the hot and coming back on the neutral. if it doesn't get as many back on the neutral it suspects a ground fault and trips.

if it's an overloaded circuit or a weak breaker it won't make any difference. but you should have gfci protection there anyway so I say go for it

Offline highland512

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 09:58:15 AM »
My guess would be a weak breaker, this is common in shops. A GFCI will only make your problems worse by adding another trip point to check, unless your working around water I wouldn't use one.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 12:24:28 PM »
I would worry more about why the breaker is tripping.  Too many things running at once on the same circuit?  Faulty tool?

Could be a weak breaker.  Have you noticed a pattern as to when it trips?  That would be helpful in diagnosing it.

As stated, GFI is looking for current going to ground and a breaker looks for high amp draw,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in a perfect world. :-[

That said, I have a GFI outlet in my shop that will trip with heavy use, never had the breaker at the box trip.  Not sure what is trippping my GFI, but resetting it solves the problem.  Note, the only time it trips and its not consistent, is when I forget to turn off my compressor.  And IIRC, it has done it on at least 2 different compressors. 

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 12:25:34 PM »
Really digging the Plug grip tool, will have to get one.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 01:24:57 PM »
There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it , and I've used the same power tools without it happening.
Usually it's just two lights and one power tool such as the bench grinder or belt sander.

It normally just trips the GFI in the bathroom when it happens, but last week it did trip the breaker outside twice and once the week before that when the GFI in the bathroom needed replacing.
The breaker is brand new BTW.

I use an 8 outlet rectangular power strip which always trips when I try to use a heat gun , so maybe that power strip is my problem ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 05:35:48 PM »
Is the power strip hard wired or plug-in type? And how many amps are you pulling at any one time? It might not seem like much, but a couple of lights (non- LED) along with a bench grinder and a radio all on the same circuit might be enough, especially if the power strip is a little old. Belt sanders can use a lot of amps also.

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »
If I run my electric tea kettle and our electric griddle at the same time in the same GFCI outlet it will trip the breaker....found that out one morning lol

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 11:12:47 PM »
Is the power strip hard wired or plug-in type? And how many amps are you pulling at any one time? It might not seem like much, but a couple of lights (non- LED) along with a bench grinder and a radio all on the same circuit might be enough, especially if the power strip is a little old. Belt sanders can use a lot of amps also.
Don't know on the amps, but it is a plug in.

It just did it earlier the second I turned on my '58 Craftsman block grinder.
I believe the replacement cord I put on it came from a Dremel which may not be sufficient and could be the issue.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 02:17:02 PM »
The question, to me at least, would be how much amperage are you pulling when the breaker trips. Most are 15amp and if it blows within seconds of starting up that grinder or running the sander, then you know your problem. If it isn't that, say it takes a while with everything running before tripping, then I would look for loose connections in the line. You say that the breaker is new, but is it a quality one? Try swapping it with a known good breaker, see if that makes a difference.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 03:21:38 PM »
I've had some fairly new breakers give up on me lately. just quit working, so it could very well be a bad "new" breaker.

That old grinder may have a bit of draw when firing up too. What amperage is the breaker?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 09:41:42 PM »
I've had some fairly new breakers give up on me lately. just quit working, so it could very well be a bad "new" breaker.

That old grinder may have a bit of draw when firing up too. What amperage is the breaker?
Can't remember off the top of my head, I'll have to look everything over when I've got the chance.

Just bought a 50" HDTV on sale and I've gotta get that all dealt with tomorrow after work ( need to rearrange some things ) so maybe Sunday after work.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 09:16:21 PM »
Can't help with your shorting issue but by all means get one of these recepticle holders. After getting bit by 110 volts over the years this makes it alot easier.

https://www.licensedelectrician.com/Store/RT/PlugGrip.htm

P.S. They're saying it's NLA. Maybe you can find one at a thrift store like mine?

X2 or 3 on the plug grip. It works great.
Rich