Author Topic: When Machines Come to Life.  (Read 363 times)

Offline oldcarguy

When Machines Come to Life.
« on: February 06, 2024, 03:59:11 PM »

Boris Artzybasheff (1899 to 1965) A profuse illustrator of the day. From creating portraits to children's books. And famous for his ability to turn machines into living beings..

This illustration brought back memories when I was sixteen. I spent my summer vacation of 1960 running this beast,, The 1948 Cincinnati #4 vertical Milling Machine. What a monster, must have weighted a hefty 9,000 pounds. I had to use a step latter the reach the draw bar! After drilling a 1 1/2” diameter starter hole. I plunked a 2” diameter 6” long end mill to the depth of  5”.  Machining a 12” by 18” blind pocket into solid steel block. Turned on the water and set the power feed to 1/2” per minute. I think it had a ten HP motor that wasn't strained the least.. This monster produced chips as fast as I could shovel the chips into a 55 gallon barrel. I finished a dozen blocks that summer..

Factory photo

real Life
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 04:00:43 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline john k

Re: When Machines Come to Life.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2024, 07:24:13 PM »
Did you find a match to the one you used, or the actual machine?  Did some automotive machining but never had the opportunity to run the big stuff.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 12:51:08 AM »

This #5 was in the shop I used to run. The shop is now scattered to the winds, but I heard the K&T went to a train museum in Grapevine, TX (near DFW). I wonder if they left the picture on it?

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 09:36:19 AM »
Did you find a match to the one you used, or the actual machine?  Did some automotive machining but never had the opportunity to run the big stuff.

The photo is definitely not the machine that I actually used. Just one I picked off the internet.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 09:54:59 AM »

This #5 was in the shop I used to run. The shop is now scattered to the winds, but I heard the K&T went to a train museum in Grapevine, TX (near DFW). I wonder if they left the picture on it?

That's an old Kearney Trecker all right.. So recognizable by the huge bulged midway on the head.. Cannot tell by the picture,, but is it a #5? That's one big piece of old iron.

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 03:05:21 PM »
It was a war production machine when they still branded as Milwaukee. Just over 18k lbs. 58 inches of X travel. She could eat.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 06:07:48 PM »

This is a line shaft drive Kempsmith that dates in the teens or earlier. It was never used as a horizontal mill.  A standard Bridgeport head was mounted on the over head ram bar. The machine had a good table and made a great vertical milling machine... (Picture for example not the machine)

This K&T 2 1/2 vertical mill was also of that vintage. And an electric motor was supported off the rear with angle iron brackets. And four V-Belts between a smaller pulley to the large line shaft pulley.. That was a tired mill to say the east. If i remember correctly the head had bronze bushing rather than ball bearings. Hence couldn't get a clean milling surface.. Spindle RPM's were 300... Picture is from old catalogue