Author Topic: Dave Jones machinists Sight Pipe  (Read 231 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Dave Jones machinists Sight Pipe
« on: February 18, 2024, 01:22:42 PM »
I don't imagine many guys here has ever seen or heard anything about Sight Pipes. I was so taken with the things I bought three of them, two that would hopefully slip in a sparkplug hole if the need ever arises, and a third larger one just because they were dirt cheap and a wanted a large one too!

BTW: The members that I suspect might already have known about these devices prior to reading this are: OCG, GF, Elroy, if you did already know about these devices, please forgive me for not including your name in the list of likely in the know fellows!

I never make the short list of the really sharp guys, but I have just enough on the ball to always appreciate fascinating toys and cabbage on to them when I find them and can afford to add them to my little pile of treasures.

Google search this thread title to learn more about these devices and their application.
BTW: The guy selling these is named Dave. Dave is super to deal with and has alot of other tempting items he is selling too. Dave gets an official UB endorsement! For what little bit my endorsement is worth anyway.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116066138848?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=yRTnjUUDTKa&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=-Pp3GusdT8S&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 01:41:32 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Elroy

Re: Dave Jones machinists Sight Pipe
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 09:25:09 AM »
neat piece. Note it's for visual reference only. hope the mirror polish is clear, chip free

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 09:50:23 AM »
They showed up yesterday, each one in amazing shape. Not glass as I originally thought, but some kind of plastic. The smaller they are, the more challenging they are to use. Amazing how they work, totally by refracted light. When you look through the end your view is 90 degrees to the viewing end.

It is a learning curve using them, but very worth the effort. In the right situation they could be very helpful.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 09:54:59 AM »
"Old School" technology is often amazingly brilliant and at the same time, quite simplistic in the conceptual design.

Good "get" UB!  Congrats --