Author Topic: I want to discuss calling out " trolls "  (Read 5723 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

I want to discuss calling out " trolls "
« on: May 19, 2019, 10:00:20 AM »
I want to discuss something I've experienced / witnesssed many times on forums with regards to " trolls " and how quick we can sometimes be to call people out as such.

I made a fair number of mistakes on the old GG, namely jumping right in before I got a feel for the place. I asked a bunch of dumb questions and made some meaningless posts.
There are still two members I fear will never like me, and two of them I'm kind of glad have not found the new place yet, simply because I don't want those past mistakes of mine to become an issue  O:-)

Trolling sucks and nobody likes it, with this many people can become quick to judge and call people out as trolls.
Someone like former me comes along who means no harm and ends up raising red flags for these folks, when you do something to annoy one of them the last straw comes quickly for them.
I don't blame them, but they should just let the mods do their jobs.
Once they label you a troll you really don't know what to do, you end up in a bit of a tail spin because you never intended to be a troll and are now becoming an outcast.
At this point you're doing whatever you can to get out of the hotseat , this means lots of backtracking and a lot of " what I meant was ".
From there you're on both offense and defense and pretty soon you've become the troll you were labeled as all because you jumped the gun and went full throttle on a new forum because you're excited to be part of a place where everyone shares you're interests.
It's not always the case but it's pretty common.
I see this happen a lot on bladeforums, and sadly it's often routed by the fact that the person's exact brew of interest is slightly different and they don't realize that those differences matter.
There's generally more of a widespread commonality beyond just the subject of the forum.
On bladeforums it's generally knife users and collectors and a mix in between.
Someone who's only interested in a knife as a weapon and not a cutting tool won't fit in very well, same goes for one who only wants to display them but doesn't carry a cutting tool in their pocket.
Here it seems to be about the same with regards to tools.

My point in all of this is that often someone who means well can make mistakes and do things that nay raise a red flag when they just don't know.
Maybe they're new to forums, or are just a bit over zealous.
Trolls exist, but I think it's a good idea to give someone the botd and let them know they may be raising some red flags before going on the offensive.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: I want to discuss calling out " trolls "
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 10:13:55 AM »
fortunately we are a small place and most of us respect each other and get along. some us knowing each other in person for years and from multiple forums. lots of people know the journal. how many remember the hangout?

in general i think new members are treated with respect until proven otherwise. this may be a harder than some group to fit into because we are smaller and have so many years of experience as such. not always bad but sometimes we can be too much "get off my lawn" vs. "can you help me with my lawn".  :)) :))
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 12:43:30 PM »
fortunately we are a small place and most of us respect each other and get along. some us knowing each other in person for years and from multiple forums. lots of people know the journal. how many remember the hangout?

in general i think new members are treated with respect until proven otherwise. this may be a harder than some group to fit into because we are smaller and have so many years of experience as such. not always bad but sometimes we can be too much "get off my lawn" vs. "can you help me with my lawn".  :)) :))
The small forums like this one are where the good people hang out, the big ones get lots of unsavory people.
They also see lots of trolling which leads the members to completely lack tolerance.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 03:28:03 PM »
Back on the old GG forum I was Coolford, and I remember how you were jumped on, but you have survived and contribute.  You make a good suggestion to let the moderators take care of the trolls.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 03:52:51 PM »
Back on the old GG forum I was Coolford, and I remember how you were jumped on, but you have survived and contribute.  You make a good suggestion to let the moderators take care of the trolls.

Trolls are a pain but I just laugh at them. I think the main thing is that H & S has matured with age and I appreciate his info and questions now. He is a good honest guy in our dealings. I'm happy to do business with him.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 04:31:27 PM »

Trolls are a pain but I just laugh at them. I think the main thing is that H & S has matured with age and I appreciate his info and questions now. He is a good honest guy in our dealings. I'm happy to do business with him.
[/quote
here, here, agreed!

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 07:51:26 PM »
Speaking of trolls, does anyone remember the creeper (the kind you lay on) thread back on the old site? Guys first and only topic he posted was about his over prices creeper he was selling That was a good one.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 08:19:04 PM »
oh yea but can't recall his name.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 08:23:43 PM »
Speaking of trolls, does anyone remember the creeper (the kind you lay on) thread back on the old site? Guys first and only topic he posted was about his over prices creeper he was selling That was a good one.

ez creeper...........

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 08:46:59 PM »
What was the name of the girl who demonstrated the creeper?

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 09:00:53 PM »
Yep ez creeper.... I think the girls make was Linda?

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 09:03:31 PM »
Was smellin like centerpunch to me?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 09:21:47 PM »
You know there's one member from the old GG who I wonder about, and that's centerpunch.

I remember one time I had a post about a Husky pro Ratcheting bit driver and he Pm'd me about how glad he was to finally meet another Fanboy he can discuss Husky tools with  ???
For some reason I couldn't tell him " relax man, I've just got the one screwdriver and don't re care one way or the other about Husky tools ", so he continued to PM me to discuss Husky tools.
That's the one thing I remember about him, so I don't know what happened to him.

I only ask because he was a husky guy and could potentially know about that ratchet I've got, so don't know if he actually knew much or was just a fanboy though.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 09:24:56 PM »
Was smellin like centerpunch to me?
I was just asking about him, I guess I have my answer.

I never witnessed anything he may of done to I'm assuming get himself banned, but I was probably too busy grasping at straws trying to come up with some magic explanation to anything I posted to land me I'm the hotseat.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 11:21:45 PM »
What was the name of the girl who demonstrated the creeper?

I believe her name was Tammy and she was (according to him) his wife.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.