Author Topic: Anyone carry CHL insurance  (Read 4404 times)

Offline slip knot

Anyone carry CHL insurance
« on: July 12, 2020, 10:36:00 AM »
I've been considering getting some CHL insurance lately. Seeing the mess the couple in St.Louis got into for defending their home has raised the priority for me. Hard to believe the depths our countyr has fallen to.

Anyone use it? good, bad ? what are y'alls thought on it?

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone carry CHL insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 11:26:45 AM »
The gent in St. Louis is a well-to-do lawyer, and if he's smart he'll use this as a step stone case for the Supreme Court to settle these type of cases once and for all.

As for the question whether CHL insurance would have helped him -- I don't know for sure. He was on his property, open carried his rifle, and did point it at a potentially threatening crowd. I don't know whether such actions are covered under CC insurance. I personally don't have insurance and never really considered it. 

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 07:23:44 PM »
The gent in St. Louis is a well-to-do lawyer, and if he's smart he'll use this as a step stone case for the Supreme Court to settle these type of cases once and for all.

As for the question whether CHL insurance would have helped him -- I don't know for sure. He was on his property, open carried his rifle, and did point it at a potentially threatening crowd. I don't know whether such actions are covered under CC insurance.

Brandishing is legally iffy at best. Definitely not something you want to be doing on camera in a demcong cesspool at "civil rights" protesters ::) If either of these lawyers were smart they'd know this.

I doubt the mob was close enough to be considered an actual threat. I didn't see the guy pointing the rifle at anyone but the ones the woman was pointing that pistol at looked to be a fair distance away. Based on the video I've seen he might get away with it but she's screwed.

If their idiocy makes it to the US Supreme Court nothing good will come of it.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 09:23:54 PM »
it easy to set back and critique at a distance but if the tables were turned I dont know that I would do much differently. Brandishing at trespassers will be a stretch but I've been damned surprised by what the hell is going on in this country

I carry a Million dollar umbrella policy for liabilty on my properties but it doesn't cover acts of civil unrest or riots. one of the reasons I got the CHL was to limit my risks but now I feel it may create other problems. Thats why I've been looking into the CHL insurance. risk management.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 09:09:11 AM »
I did see a photo that was taken by one of the protesters and it showed what appeared to be a weapon barrel pointed at the homeowners. I have not seen the photo again after the one time. She would have been better off with her pistol holstered but we don't know how many guns were pointed at them and they said that 4 were.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 10:01:56 AM »
Tensions were high and adrenaline was flowing, so for normal folks who aren't used to handling that will almost always act a little "weird". Heck, if a loud obviously rowdy crowd was on my property line I might've done the same thing.
This whole situation is going to explode if the powers that be don't step in and quash it. But it appears they have no will to do so.
Our local Marxist dem mayor has put up BLM banners on a building in downtown using taxpayer money, yet turned around and revoked a permit already approved for a conservative group to stage a support the police rally. And nobody has said a peep. She is such a tool.

https://tucson.com/news/local/mayor-romero-displays-black-lives-matter-banner-across-tucsons-city-hall/article_f3cc0880-a50b-5abf-9a89-2e9e9ca4ffab.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 10:03:33 AM by bonneyman »

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 02:29:05 PM »
I did see a photo that was taken by one of the protesters and it showed what appeared to be a weapon barrel pointed at the homeowners. I have not seen the photo again after the one time. She would have been better off with her pistol holstered but we don't know how many guns were pointed at them and they said that 4 were.

Was it this pic? Apparently it's some kind of microphone. I guess it might look like a gun pointed straight at you??

https://pictures.reuters.com/archive/MINNEAPOLIS-POLICE-PROTESTS-COUPLE-IMAGE-RC2VJH9I9YAP.html

Regards their broader claim about 4 guns being pointed at them they're not acting like they're facing any specific threats. That sounds like them building their defense argument to me.

And along those lines I definitely ain't buying the "pistol was de-activated" claim being pushed by their former attorney. I'm sure it's de-activated now he's had it for a few days...................

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 05:43:49 PM »
Nice find as that is the photo. It does look like she is aiming at that perceived threat. It looks like a barrel shroud to me.

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 08:58:58 PM »
I always see ads for USCCA. Often asked the same question. At $22 a month I can't see the legai help being that big.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 10:31:36 PM »
I looked at several of those type groups Muddy and haven't decided if thats the way I want to go either. Most of those typical pay out for bail and lawyer fees and are not really insurance but a pool type membership arrangement. The USCCA seems to have the best coverage for the money, the middle grade is $30/ month and has a $1million limit which works out about the same cost as my umbrella liability policy I have on my farm and rental properties. My commercial insurance carrier doesn't have any options unless I run a security type business.

I'm looking at options to limit my exposure to a concealed carry incident. It seems like the nations DAs have taken aim at the people who proactively try to protect themselves. Once your opened up to a criminal case you can bet a civil case is coming. and its the civil cases that can wipe you out

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 01:13:31 PM »
Follow up. I chose a USCCA platinum level membership. IIRC $30/month or $340/annually. It seemed to be the best match for my situation. I have looked at some of their online material and they seem to have a lot of training material online. And they have some pre-vetted pro gun attorneys in San Antonio and Houston that would be considered local to me. Also some approved training ranges in those towns too. Hopefully I will never need to use them but its nice to have a contingency in place.

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 09:33:15 PM »
Follow up. I chose a USCCA platinum level membership. IIRC $30/month or $340/annually. It seemed to be the best match for my situation. I have looked at some of their online material and they seem to have a lot of training material online. And they have some pre-vetted pro gun attorneys in San Antonio and Houston that would be considered local to me. Also some approved training ranges in those towns too. Hopefully I will never need to use them but its nice to have a contingency in place.
Glad to hear you decided on something. Like I said in another thread my NRA membership is soon up and I'm looking for a new pro 2A group to join.

Let's us know your long term thoughts are.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk