Author Topic: Got my work boots on order.  (Read 10430 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Got my work boots on order.
« on: February 03, 2019, 09:05:39 PM »
$166.94 shipped at workbooks.com for a pair of US MADE Justin original 8" conductors in pitstop black.
free screenshot software

I can't wait till they get here.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

Re: Got my work boots on order.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 07:48:43 AM »
From my experience Justin's are good boots just make sure you care for the leather. If you get them wet a lot make sure they thoroughly dryout before you wear them again and apply leather conditioner monthly.
https://www.amazon.com/Bickmore-Bick-Leather-Conditioner-Finished/dp/B001CS2Q4M/ref=asc_df_B001CS2Q4M/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198093606370&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8264154313448875471&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9015828&hvtargid=pla-384918119428&psc=1

I would not use the waterproof boot oil you see at walmart and the likes, they are full of chemicals that slowly destroy the leather and will never make your boots waterproof.

Boots are like anything else, with some maintenance they will last for a long time.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 10:10:10 AM »
I'm going to order some obenaufs, the stuff is all natural and I've heard it don't smell too bad either.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 09:52:22 PM »
I'm a mink oil and keep em shined believer. I just get the polish at Wally world, use a cotton rag to apply, my Zippo to get a good shine and a brush for the final buff.
Rich

Offline ken w.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 09:55:31 AM »
Do you guys pre heat your boots before waterproofing them ?  I've use Snow Seal on by boots but I find it hard to apply. I started warming my boots up in my boot dryer and it seems to take the Snow Seal better. It melts right in there.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 12:37:41 PM »
I'm a mink oil and keep em shined believer. I just get the polish at Wally world, use a cotton rag to apply, my Zippo to get a good shine and a brush for the final buff.
I've heard many " boot experts " say mink oil can break down stitching over time, I've also heard that the leather care products you get at Walmart have lots of chemicals in them that aren't good for the leather long term.

I went with Obenaufs heavy duty LP,  $10  for a 4oz jar isn't cheap but it comes highly recommend by many leathersmiths.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:38:42 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 01:28:31 PM »
I've heard many " boot experts " say mink oil can break down stitching over time, I've also heard that the leather care products you get at Walmart have lots of chemicals in them that aren't good for the weather long term.

I went with Obenaufs heavy duty LP,  $10  for a 4oz jar isn't cheap but it comes highly recommend by many leathersmiths.

A prostate exam comes highly recommended by many Doctors, but that don’t make them any good  :(

I don’t know a single boot expert or leathersmith. I must be hanging out in the wrong places.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:30:10 PM by Conductor562 »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »
I've heard many " boot experts " say mink oil can break down stitching over time, I've also heard that the leather care products you get at Walmart have lots of chemicals in them that aren't good for the weather long term.

A prostate exam comes highly recommended by many Doctors, but that don’t make them any good  :(

I don’t know a single boot expert or leathersmith. I must be hanging out in the wrong places.
I don't know any leathersmiths personally, but there are many excellent ones on bladeforums doing some amazing work and more than a few of them recommend Obenaufs.

The " boot experts " are on YouTube so I take their words with a grain of salt, but listing to warnings against something can't really hurt.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:49:29 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 10:26:45 AM »
For those who have these Justin conductors boots, how long did it take to break them in wearing them for a few hours a day ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 11:52:02 AM »
This will probably make all the boot experts cringe but I've always gotten mine wet and wore them till the dried out. usually one or two days and there good to go. your methods may vary.

The last two pairs I had I never got them to where they didn't hurt my feet after 3-4hours. I even tried changing the orthotics in them and it didn't help. I had worn this type boot for 10+ years so I was a bit disappointed to have to change. I'm thinking this is the "fallen arches" all the old people complain about. ???

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 12:36:31 PM »
This will probably make all the boot experts cringe but I've always gotten mine wet and wore them till the dried out. usually one or two days and there good to go. your methods may vary.

The last two pairs I had I never got them to where they didn't hurt my feet after 3-4hours. I even tried changing the orthotics in them and it didn't help. I had worn this type boot for 10+ years so I was a bit disappointed to have to change. I'm thinking this is the "fallen arches" all the old people complain about. ???
Were this summer I'd probably go for it , but definitely not in a 40° winter.

One thing I'm kind of dissappointing about with these boots is that they're a bit pointier in the toe than they appear in pictures.
I think I can get used to the slightly narrower toe, and I think the pointier toe probably won't as easily take a permanent dent.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 01:12:30 PM »
I have been wearing boots so long I no longer have to break them in.

I have about the flattest feet it's possible to have - I don't have fallen arches I don't have arches at all. The boots actually are very comfortable since they have a steel arch support.

The pointy toes are just something you get used to. If they fit right it's not a big issue, at least for me.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 02:16:29 PM »
I have been wearing boots so long I no longer have to break them in.

I have about the flattest feet it's possible to have - I don't have fallen arches I don't have arches at all. The boots actually are very comfortable since they have a steel arch support.

The pointy toes are just something you get used to. If they fit right it's not a big issue, at least for me.
The only all leather boot I've worn before is a pair of 30 year old combat boots, and the leather is as broken in as can be.
These will definitely take some time to reach that state, but I'm hoping I can maybe get them broker in enough to wear at least half a work day at a time within a couple weeks.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 02:32:31 PM »
Hopefully they'll break in faster than that really it has a lot to do with your foot anatomy and how close they are to the lasts made to make the boots. Every maker has different lasts so the fit is always a little different between brands. Slipknots suggestion about wetting and wearing till dry is pretty good advice although he's probably right about the purists cringing.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 05:15:38 PM »
Those are decent boots but don't usually last more than a few months for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2019, 05:42:45 PM »

What fails on them for you ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 06:05:16 PM »

Just tear them apart from hydraulic oil and welding

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 06:38:47 PM »

Just tear them apart from hydraulic oil and welding

Ah, I see.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 10:15:20 PM »
Try wearing your new boots and walking around the block in them to break them in. I've got a new pair of Magnums to break in to replace the ones I have been wearing for 8 years. I was trying to find a new boot to replace my daily wear Magnums and couldn't find them around here. Then my BIL died and my sister found a box with new Magnums in them. He and I had the same size 12 and width feet and I have 3 totes of boots, dress shoes, tennis shoes and slippers. I never need to buy a new pair of shoes for the rest of my life as most of these are new.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 11:00:57 AM »

Here's a story that made an impression on me in 6th grade!

My teacher, Mrs. Albertson, told us about breaking in combat boots in Australia.  Have no idea when or why she was there but she said they put the boots on and got in the shower getting them soaked then keeping them on as Slipknot said.  Why I remember that story or even her name baffles me other then she was a good  and fun teacher.   

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 01:56:50 PM »
Heard stories about WWII Russian troops and the bad boots they had. They were ill-fitting and caused a lot of blisters when they were new. It became excruciating to walk in them after just a few hours of marching -- blisters, bleeding and infected feet were often the result.

The remedy -- gross as it sounds, was to take a new pair of leather boots and take a leak in them. The uric acid attacks the cell structure of the leather very quickly (faster than water) and makes the thick leather soft and subtle. The soldiers were using their pee to re-tan the leather, but they had to wear them while the process was going on -- and it must have stunk to high heaven. Botton line; it did work quickly and the boot interiors would be smooth and conform to the owner's feet perfectly.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 02:06:30 PM »
Luckily I'm only working weekends right now so I have week days to break my boots in.
I'm wearing some thicker socks than I normally wear which is helping a bit, and the obenaufs is softening the leather up some.

One thing I'm going to do is replace the insert with some half length ones i have, this will give me a little more time room.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »
I've heard many " boot experts " say mink oil can break down stitching over time, I've also heard that the leather care products you get at Walmart have lots of chemicals in them that aren't good for the leather long term.

Don't tell my Red Wings, They are going on three years of use. But they weren't "less expensive".
http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/2412-red-wing-shoes/2412-red-wing-mens-8-inch-boot-brown
Rich

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 01:47:53 AM »
As someone who made a career walking around on chunks of ballast the size of your fist and hopping on and off rail cars, I can tell you that both the best and worst boots I ever owned were Redwing. The USA made Wings are the finest work boots you can buy. The Chinese “King Toe” or whatever they call them are like wearing concrete slabs on your feet.

My last 2 or 3 pair have been Timberland Pro. Very comfortable, virtually no break in, but by the time my next boot voucher comes the following year, I’m due a new pair.

Offline muddy

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 11:24:22 AM »
It seems to take me forever to wear in a pair of boots. I have had decent performance with the Chinese Carolina's, but got tired of paying so much for Chinese boots. So I tried some inexpensive boots. I'm finding you often get what you pay for.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline highland512

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 01:06:22 PM »
It seems to take me forever to wear in a pair of boots. I have had decent performance with the Chinese Carolina's, but got tired of paying so much for Chinese boots. So I tried some inexpensive boots. I'm finding you often get what you pay for.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I have always found that boots are the pinnacle of you get what you pay for. I have a pair of USA made Carolina lace ups I have had for 4 years that I wear for work around the house and farm. They are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. I also had a pair of Chinese made Justin's that didnt last 4 months on the job site and hurt from day 1. For most people a average boot is fine. But for those of us who stand in them for 10+ hours a day, you should spend the money on quality.   

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 12:39:39 PM »
^^^^^^^^^I hear you on getting what you paid for but i have a few instances where i have spent good money on work shoes and been disappointed with how long they last or comfort level.  Last 2 pairs have been Redwing Worx (Chinese) but have been quite happy with them

Offline Rickster

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2019, 02:22:01 PM »
Holy cow!... those are tall work boots!  You're going to have to get up 1/2 hour early just to lace them up.  My kid has a pair of Red Wing's and swears by them as being very comfortable after breaking them in.  Me, I just used a high top pair of leather Sketchers out in the garage.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 03:35:04 PM »
When I was with the phone company, I had Chinese Doc Martin industrials, they paid for them and I could only choose from a pre-approved selection. They were pretty comfortable, long-lasting and the heel worked well with pole-climbing gaffs.

Now I wear RedWing Chukka boots, made in the USA. Comfortable but the pointed toes make me feel like a rhinestone cowboy.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 04:25:13 PM »
While working in the Chevy shop I found that the Dr. Marten's steel-toe, non-slip worked the best for me.  Most of my shop mates wore sneakers.

Like with work boots, motorcycle boots are very much of getting what you pay for.  For my riding, the Italians make the best, Dainese are my favorites.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2019, 05:03:20 PM »
Holy cow!... those are tall work boots!  You're going to have to get up 1/2 hour early just to lace them up.  My kid has a pair of Red Wing's and swears by them as being very comfortable after breaking them in.  Me, I just used a high top pair of leather Sketchers out in the garage.
8 inchers are tall, but with the speed laces they lace up in no time.
Always lookin' to learn