Author Topic: The biggest name confusion in the Tool world continues to this day.  (Read 3992 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Way too often do I see a YouTube video regarding an old PLOMB tool which is mistakenly identified as a PLUMB.
To this day the confusion Continues, if I remember correctly this common confusion was a contributing factor that led to the PROTO name change and it must've been prevalent if it still happens often about 100 years later.
Here's the latest example.

I like to see the old tools he acquires, I absolutely don't agree with his treatment of these old tools but I like to see them after the wire wheel and before he takes the belt sander and buffing wherl to them.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

Re: The biggest name confusion in the Tool world continues to this day.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 06:13:30 PM »
I really like parrot head pliers. They haven't replaced my regular slip joints, but for many jobs the angled head really helps out.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 06:46:08 PM »
Plomb was sued by Plumb many times but were not successful until 1946 or 47. That is when Plomb changed their name to the Professional Tool Corporation or PROTO as we know it now.
That guy lost me when he put the belt sander to it. It looks horrible with the sander marks and the marks he removed were the character of the tool from years of use. >:D

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 07:32:47 PM »
Plomb was sued by Plumb many times but were not successful until 1946 or 47. That is when Plomb changed their name to the Professional Tool Corporation or PROTO as we know it now.
That guy lost me when he put the belt sander to it. It looks horrible with the sander marks and the marks he removed were the character of the tool from years of use. >:D
Exactly.
It would be one thing if he actually made the tool look new or better than new not that I'd really like that either, but whet he's doing is just shining up old tools and that's exactly what they look like.
They're just old tools that have been shined up.
I say it's not new and never will be so there's no reason it should look it.

He has a poor understanding of patina and views all forms of rust the same as harmful corrosive red rust, to him if it's not shiny it's rusty and crusty.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 10:31:10 PM »
How was the reference to Plomb incorrect in the video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 01:55:28 AM »
Plomb and Plumb had a gentleman’s agreement for years that Plomb would not sell hammers as that was Plumb’s primary business.

Plomb started making hammers, Plumb got pissed, filed a lawsuit, and won. Plomb tried to be clever with their marketing, got sued again, lost again, ended up being Proto, and had to forfeit a large part of a years profits for their violation.

Proto thrives in the years following and continues to do so today. Plumb got bought out, and is now cheap Chinese crap like just about everything Apex Tool ever touched.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 06:06:52 PM »
How was the reference to Plomb incorrect in the video?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More than once he said Plumb, I know a correction briefly appeared on screen but it was easy to miss.
I'm not complaining about his error, it's just an example of the confusion that continues to this day.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline walrus

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 12:01:28 PM »
A better use of his time would be to actually use the tool to fix something but thats just me

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 01:21:02 PM »
A better use of his time would be to actually use the tool to fix something but thats just me
I think most of his hand tools are just for show.

I'm sure he probably turned a wrench or swung a hammer a long time ago, but now just poorly polished them up, jewels them, and gives them candy paint jobs.
Always lookin' to learn