Author Topic: what did you do today?  (Read 670299 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: what did you do today?
« Reply #645 on: February 18, 2019, 11:43:15 AM »
pep,

Thanks.  You told me what I wanted to know.

I used some self adhesive insulated HVAC duct wrap from Home Depot on one of my projects -- pretty much the same performance as DM, and at minimal cost.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #646 on: February 19, 2019, 10:41:32 PM »
My dad bought one of those new US GENERAL cart / boxes in lime green and I bolted it together for him.
There was lots of back tracking and loosening different bolts to get everything lined up, but I eventually got it. The quality seems okay, but I would absolutely never want to own one.

For some reason you cannot open the drawers without the top open, and with the spring loaded switch you've gotta slide to get the drawers open you can only have one open at a time.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #647 on: February 20, 2019, 07:04:12 AM »
My dad bought one of those new US GENERAL cart / boxes in lime green and I bolted it together for him.
There was lots of back tracking and loosening different bolts to get everything lined up, but I eventually got it. The quality seems okay, but I would absolutely never want to own one.

For some reason you cannot open the drawers without the top open, and with the spring loaded switch you've gotta slide to get the drawers open you can only have one open at a time.

I think you should be able to de-feet, the nanny features. 
Did you think to use Loctite in the assembly by chance,  works real good for these type of things?

I'm with you, green is for the front lawn  :-)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 07:05:54 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #648 on: February 20, 2019, 07:57:20 AM »
I like the bright green.  Extreme green and white are two colors of tool box I haven't had pass through.   Have had rest except some specialty colors

As to the one drawer open at a time, that is so the cart won't tip with too many drawers open.   

Don't defeat the top must be open to open the drawers.  When moving the cart, that is handy so you don't have to worry about drawers opening when moving.  Oops, forgot you had the latches on the drawers.  Ok then, don't defeat them both.

Cart is nice for a DIYer for sure

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #649 on: February 20, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
As it turns out you can open more than one drawer at a time , and you can open close the top with the drawers open then close them most of the way so you don't have to keep the top open.
I don't know what the deal was yesterday.

I didn't use loctite because I had to loosen and tighten various bolts to persuade everything to line up.

Now as far as the color goes, Green is both of our favorite color and I think this Color is real nice.
He loves frogs, he's got multiple frog tattoos, and his childhood nickname was frog.
So naturally I ordered him a nice 5x7.5 frog decal to go on top.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 12:56:03 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #650 on: February 20, 2019, 05:35:19 PM »
I didn't use loctite because I had to loosen and tighten various bolts to persuade everything to line up.

Best way to put stuff like that together is leave everything loose until you get all the bolts in.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #651 on: February 20, 2019, 06:04:25 PM »

Best way to put stuff like that together is leave everything loose until you get all the bolts in.
You kind of have to have the cart assembly ready to go when you lower the heavy box onto it, so what I did was get everything a little tight then backtrack where needed to get certain holes lined up.

There's probably better ways to do it, but this is how I got the job done.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #652 on: March 03, 2019, 12:27:47 AM »
2-3 shift solenoid in a 4L60E which is a '90s to 2000s gm rwd transmission for those that don't know. Job went well other than the wrong filter. Aside from deep pan and shallow pan there's also modified deep pan to clear the front driveshaft on 4wd Colorados :-[ And ain't nobody in town got that filter in stock so the old one got put back in.

One thing that made the job easier/cleaner was an oil drain pump I just got. Didn't get the pan empty but got enough of the fluid out it was easy to drop without getting fluid everywhere. Link to the one I bought but you can probably get the same thing cheaper elsewhere if you don't need 2 day shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-Extractor-Diesel-Electric-Motorbike/dp/B01KZIFZVK/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=12V+Transfer+Pump+Extractor+Oil+Fluid+Diesel+Electric+Siphon+Car+Motorbike&qid=1551594435&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Offline muddy

« Reply #653 on: March 04, 2019, 08:29:31 PM »
Apparently once every 9000 hrs isn't a good oil change interval....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Rural53

« Reply #654 on: March 06, 2019, 12:24:14 AM »
Trip up East Coast today to schedule bridge repairs. 540km round trip.

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #655 on: March 06, 2019, 11:28:34 PM »
May Be* C:-)

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #656 on: March 07, 2019, 07:01:51 AM »

Pretty funny, what is the normal cycle, hrs ?
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #657 on: March 07, 2019, 07:37:32 AM »
I like the way the church is stabilized on each side, are the normal winds high in that location?

Offline muddy

« Reply #658 on: March 07, 2019, 08:36:04 PM »

Pretty funny, what is the normal cycle, hrs ?
200 hrs.

Offline Rural53

« Reply #659 on: March 07, 2019, 10:06:27 PM »
I like the way the church is stabilized on each side, are the normal winds high in that location?

The church was built in 1894. It is very exposed. The buttresses help hold up the church as well as reflecting the flying buttresses of gothic churches.