Author Topic: 2021 F-150 owners not happy with rust  (Read 5107 times)

Offline DeadNutz

2021 F-150 owners not happy with rust
« on: March 03, 2021, 02:52:22 PM »
It seems that 2021 Ford F-150 trucks are getting underbody rust and people aren't happy. It is showing up on exhaust hangers and rear axles and yokes.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/new-2021-ford-f-150s-are-already-showing-underbody-rust-and-owners-aren-t-happy/ar-BB1ecPX2?ocid=msedgntp

Offline bonneyman

Re: 2021 F-150 owners not happy with rust
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 03:35:58 PM »
Wait a minute! I thought that Ford went to aluminum on their trucks several years ago, which they were boasting cut out rusting and increased fuel economy due to the reduced weight? 

Maybe they meant the body panels - the frame(?) is still steel.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 08:01:44 PM »
Yep just body panels.
Really what do people expect when you run on those bloody salted roads. That much continuous exposure to wet salt spray would eat up the best galvanizing.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 08:56:30 PM »
The issue is no paint or protective coating on the rear axle and yokes and exhaust hangers. The guy that did the video lives in Nebraska but he said he hadn't been on many salted roads in the 3 months he's had the truck.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 10:46:07 PM »
Yeah i really only takes one trip if the coatings a bit thin.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline walrus

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 12:19:17 PM »
Just the ride on the transport to the dealership  gets them that bad here in Maine. I wonder if he looked at it when he bought it??

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 12:29:59 PM »
Yep just body panels.
Really what do people expect when you run on those bloody salted roads. That much continuous exposure to wet salt spray would eat up the best galvanizing.

Some years ago I noticed that galvanized sheet metal we used for cooler ductwork started corroding alot faster. Used to be the old stuff could stand the wind, sun, and rain for years without really looking that bad. Like it got darker gray, and you could see the big flakes of zinc on the surface.

The new stuff? Shoot within two years it was white scaling, powdering off,  and starting to rust. Couldn't determine if it was weaker zinc, or thinner zinc, or just a cheaper process (i.e. Chinese steel), but the new stuff does not hold up in the weather. My customers were getting caulking, pookie, and/or white roof coating on all exposed ductwork after only a few years.

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 02:01:12 PM »
Some people are just looking for attention. If you live anywhere with cold, snow, and salt your vehicle will rust; I dont care how new it is. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 02:20:30 PM »
Some people are just looking for attention. If you live anywhere with cold, snow, and salt your vehicle will rust; I dont care how new it is. 

If that is the case why is there no rust of note on my 19 yr old Tacoma? We have cold, snow, brined roads but relatively dry weather with low humidity except for winter and spring. We do utilize the car washes here that have undercarriage blasters.

Offline walrus

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 05:57:39 PM »

If that is the case why is there no rust of note on my 19 yr old Tacoma? We have cold, snow, brined roads but relatively dry weather with low humidity except for winter and spring. We do utilize the car washes here that have undercarriage blasters.
Tacomas are the king of rusting out, Toyota paid for thousands of frames to be replaced. My 2011 Tundra has rust on those parts shown in the ford pics, my 2019 GMC has rust in those same places.

Offline highland512

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 07:26:27 AM »

we have the 3 seasons of corrosion in the midwest. Salt season (winter), accelerated corrosion season (spring), and normal corrosion season (summer). Humidity runs on the hightide here, its not gulf coast/deep south humid, buts its humid. I swear you can go to the cab corners or bed fenders on my truck in March when its 50*F and hear the metal deteriorating.

I am the kind of guy who buys a vehicle and runs it till 500,000 mi or the wheels fall off, which ever comes first. My current F350 has 380,000 miles and is really showing its age, I have been closely watching the older aluminum F150's for rust and so far so good.   

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 08:25:03 PM »
Well it's a Ford sooo.....

But seriously that's about how much rust is underneath my 94 Plymouth. If I bought a brand new truck that did that I'd be disappointed to.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 10:33:15 PM »
Ford + rust =normal

"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline walrus

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 06:58:55 AM »
Rust is why I buy Fluid Film in 5 gallon buckets, my trucks get it every year, service truck gets it twice a year and maybe a 3rd time in the winter

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2021, 02:16:26 PM »
Back in the day... worn out phrase but applies here. Buying new cars, owner had the option to have it under coated. Was a tar looking substance, to young to know for sure, just reminded me of tar.

This was Miami, so salt air in the mix. I've since wondered why the northerners have not adopted the concept.

Sort of think bed liner could be used for same. Ford, Dodge have always has rust, GM was the one that then had a leg up. Maybe GM sold the cars with under coating, as an add on ??

Guess I 'm surprised the metal is not coated today.  Given everything is whizz bang new and improved.
1776 ................... what happened!