Author Topic: Any cigar smokers on the GG?  (Read 147178 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2020, 01:37:19 PM »
Definitely not for the faint of heart. Lots of strong Ligero tobacco - La Bomba “Nuclear”.

The name fits -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #181 on: February 26, 2020, 01:53:58 PM »
Ray, I see an new gig for you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,writing cigar reviews :lol_hitting:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2020, 03:53:46 PM »
Naahh - I'm a hack when it comes to cigars. Definitely have my own tastes and am usually diametrically opposite to what others think of as "good". I'll stick to tinkering in my garage and on my projects.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #183 on: February 27, 2020, 08:24:16 AM »
Definitely have my own tastes and am usually diametrically opposite to what others think of as "good".

Haha, that is the way I think of professional movie reviewers

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2020, 08:53:41 AM »
Had this one yesterday -- Sunny warm 72F on the deck was perfect for this Nica-Puro (all Nicaraguan leaf) Robusto. The first five minutes were very harsh and tasted mostly salt and burnt pepper. I was ready to toss it, but decided to let it settle down in the ashtray for a few minutes and it slowly improved. 15 minutes in and it balanced out to a nice sweet and citrusy profile. Glad I waited a bit.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2020, 09:57:43 PM »
Whats the poop on the jag?
Tomorrow you have to pick one cigar and one only. What`s it gunna be?
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: March 13, 2020, 03:52:19 PM »
Jag is still under wraps - waiting for warm weather to take her out.

This cigar came highly recommended by a friend, but it truly is a spice ridden “pepper bomb” - not my best smoking experience. I tossed it! Life’s too short for overpowering cigars. Time to move on to something different

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2020, 10:53:11 AM »
Was never an Upmann fan - neither Cuban or any other blend. However this Jose’ Mendez blended Upmann Hispaniola edition is great. Love the Torpedo size and the sweet complex flavor

Offline muddy

« Reply #188 on: March 17, 2020, 11:54:54 PM »
Enjoyed another A.J. Fernandez blend tonight.

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2020, 07:24:52 AM »
Nice choice Tim! A damn good cigar.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2020, 03:11:49 PM »
One of my new favorites  - E.P. Carrillo New Wave Robusto. Sweet and a hint of citrus  - flawless construction. Perfect for an afternoon smoke

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2020, 10:58:32 AM »
Perfect warm morning to forget about the Virus for a little while and enjoy a good CLE Corojo cigar. Enjoy your blessings - it could be much worse.

Offline highland512

« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2020, 01:44:11 PM »
Good question Steve. There is a specific nomenclature when referring to a cigar’s size and length. Even shape has a set of rules. Since modern cigars have their origin in Cuba, the old-time factories set up rules to identify one cigar from another. Ring gauge measures thickness in 64th of an inch, and length is measured in inches. Hence a cigar of about 42-44 gauge thickness and 5-1/2” length is called a Corona. A smaller Petit Corona would measure about 40-42 gauge and 4-1/2” long. A popular Robusto cigar (note the name has nothing to do with flavor or strength) would indicate a cigar of about 48-52 gauge and a length of 5-1/2”

The nomenclature is tradition in Cuba and they have many sizes and shapes that are associated with precise names - such as Palmitas - 32 ga. 4” length or Vegueros - 36 ga. 5” length. Point is the Cubans have many shapes and sizes - (aka Vitolas) that you can’t find in the popular Nicaraguan, Dominican or other Central/South/North American brands.

Also - straight cylindrical cigars are identified as Parejo class cigars, while odd shapes cigars are in the Figurado class.

I never knew cigars where named with the shape and size. What would you call a Curtis LeMay sized cigar? Looks about 3/4 in dia and ruffly 137" in length.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2020, 03:50:59 PM »

I never knew cigars where named with the shape and size. What would you call a Curtis LeMay sized cigar? Looks about 3/4 in dia and ruffly 137" in length.

137" in length :-\ :smiley_confused1:  WOW, that's a long cigar,,,,,,,,,,,,,,almost 12 feet

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2020, 02:47:50 PM »
Within the about an hour the weather turned from cold and gloomy to a nice warm and sunny spring day. I’ll take it - enough reason to have a cigar and a drink on the deck.

Mild Dominican Torpedo cigar