Author Topic: Lost 23lbs in three months -  (Read 43196 times)

Offline muddy

Re: Lost 23lbs in three months -
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »

Have a nephew and girlfriend who are health nuts and are eating a Keto diet. 

Does momma know about your girlfriend?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Heck, I don't even know about my girlfriend :))

Truth be told, as much as us guys like to fantasize about other women, in reality, that is a can of worms I have no interest in opening.  And fortunately, as I deal almost exclusively with men in business and am almost never in a social situation without my wife with me, the opportunity does not present itself and I am thankful for that.
I understand. The more women I deal with the more I'm glad I have Mandy! (She's behind me isn't she?)

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 09:54:48 AM »
Just an update on this. Sticking to this diet helped in keeping the annual "holiday pounds" in check. I ate a few cookies and had the occasional piece of pie, but I didn't gain any weight. Keeping carbs and sugars in check are the key to keeping the weight off. Seven months in and I'm down 25lbs and in good shape. I'll maintain at this weight and keep up on the high protein and good fats, while watching the carbs and sugars. It seems to work for me - went from a 34" waist last June, to 31" in seven months. Haven't had a 31" waist since high school/early college years.

As an aside, a good friend of mine (who's in his 70s) followed my lead on the low carb/sugar and high protein/good fat modified keto plan, and in two months dropped almost 20lbs. He's still significantly overweight, but that's an amazing result, and he says his blood pressure went down as well.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:02:21 AM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 11:57:31 AM »
Glad to hear you are doing well.  Mama and I have also made some serious diet changes.  Visited a friend in Texas a few weeks ago who went all organic, non GMO, no sugar 2 years ago to try to holistically heal prostrate cancer.  Didn't work but the health changes to him and his wife were phenomenal.  They both look and feel great.  And she served us an Italian meal and salad, all organic that was better then any italian  meal I have ever had in a restaurant.  They also do smoothies from the Nutribullet cookbook designed to heal and help with your needs according to a quiz you take.  Lots of veggies, fruits and super food powders.   We are going that way steadily.  Lots of changes.

I have lost 5 lbs and Mama about the same though she doesn't have a weight problem.  Our goal is to get off meds, get healthy and for me to lose weight. 

Thanks to GF, Walrus, Busted Knuckles and others here and elsewhere who have shared what eating healthy has done for them.  If I hadn't heard of great results from people I respect, I likely would not have changed. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 01:31:15 PM »
Good for you Phil! I'm glad you and your wife are actively working on this together. You won't be sorry -- give it three-four weeks and you'll be surprised how good you feel.

Best of luck to you both --

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 02:13:09 PM »
Good for you.
My dad is also over 60 ( 61 on the 16th ) and borderline diabetic, he tries to cut back on junk food but can't help himself for long.

Losing the weight in that time is a real accomplishment, if only I could gain that much weight.
At 24 I'm 5'6" and only weigh about 115lb, I've always been skinny and I  believe I must have a high metabolism.
I've always had a bit of a weak appetite, but I do eat and should weigh more than I do for sure.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:57:40 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 03:43:15 PM »
So in a nut shell, what foods do you avoid.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 07:28:15 AM »
Jabber for me it is ice cream, candy and pretzels.  And any other high carb processed foods.  Switching to organic peanut butter, no sugar added.  Trick is to stir it up good and refrigerate it to keep it firm.  Not as tasty as Jif but much healthier. 

Also am getting away from processed foods.  Trying to cut back on all the chemicals added to our food.

Avoiding high fructose corn syrup.

I don't drink regular soda but am cutting way back on diet soda. 

Finding snack substitutes is a challenge.  So far I have found some organic blue corn chips that have little to no sugar, nuts, some kind of organic low sugar content chocolate type chip.  Mama made some trail mix with the nuts, raisins, chocolate chips and goji berries. 

Other then salads which I eat everyday for lunch, I am not much of a veggie guy but the nutribullet has some interesting recipes that involve lots of greens and some fruit that are mega nutritious and aren't bad.  Note, I didn't say they were delicious. but certainly drinkable.   

My goals are to lose weight, get my joints to stop aching, have more energy and drive and get off cholesterol meds.  Would be nice is urinary function was better and to get my PSA'a down. 

Organic eating is proving pricey but a few things I have noticed.  I am eating less so we buy less.  Planning is important for meals and shopping, something we were terrible at but are working at together.  I am less concerned with natural carbs then I was before on carbs in general.  Because the sugar intake is way less, I figure I can do some more carbs.   

Organic rice pasta seems like a great substitute for traditional pasta.

As to the cost, I figure if I can be more efficient at work because of added drive, I will easily offset the cost. 

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 12:37:10 PM »
I`ve got more blubber on me now that I ever had.
I don`t drink soda at all, just don't do any veg and really not much bread at all.
I had a little episode at the hospital the other day when I was getting my shoulder looked at as I slipped on black ice at work and hyper extended my arm over my head damaging some nerves.
Evidently I have a slow heart beat and high blood pressure.
I eat a lot of lazy food ie salty fatty so im going to change that up a bit.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 02:29:53 PM »
Oh, I drink more water now also.

Mama and I both feel are minds are clearer too,

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »
I weighed under 218 this morning.  Was 225 couple of weeks ago.  That has been my weight for several years now

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 08:34:13 AM »
I weighed under 218 this morning.  Was 225 couple of weeks ago.  That has been my weight for several years now

You'll be ready for the beach in no-time Phil ---  ;)

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 09:42:06 AM »
Good for you.
My dad is also over 60 ( 61 on the 16th ) and borderline diabetic, he tries to cut back on junk food but can't help himself for long.

Losing the weight in that time is a real accomplishment, if only I could gain that much weight.
At 24 I'm 5'6" and only weigh about 115lb, I've always been skinny and I  believe I must have a high metabolism.
I've always had a bit of a weak appetite, but I do eat and should weigh more than I do for sure.

Friend of mine is 57.  He's been 5' 7" 120 lbs since high school.  Unfortunately, smoking all his life has caught up with him and his health has been iffy the last couple of years.  He uses an inhaler now b/c he gets short of breath.  I believe he's been diagnosed with emphysema.
boop/bop/beep

Offline walrus

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 09:55:42 AM »
I've been doing a similar diet for 8 years now. After awhile you don't miss the foods you used to eat. Most of them anyway :)  I had a choice to try the diet  or keep on doing  immune suppressing drugs. They treat the symptoms not my disease. While I'm not cured, the diet put me into remission so I keep it up.  Its not easy and I don't cheat as its not just a matter of getting back on the horse when you are trying to control an autoimmune disease. Standard American Diet isn't healthy no matter who you are. Too much processed crap, too much sugar is putting the weight on and causing issues as we age.

I eat honey for sweetener, its a simple carb, easy to digest. Meat, fish, veggies, cheese, nuts, fruits. No grains, no starches, no sugar. The diet is called Specific Carbohydrate diet or SCD for short. Its really for the treatment of Crohns or Ulcerative Colitis but people have tried it for other autoimmune diseases with success .  Its becoming more main stream with studies being done by large hospitals and universities. Seattle Childrens, Rush University and Umass have all done studies with good results. No money in it for Doctors or big pharma so they continue on the mantra, diet doesn't matter. It mattered to me

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 10:12:56 AM »
I agree Walrus -- the commercial packaged food industry and big PHARMA are highly complicit in making us unhealthy. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I honestly believe that in an effort to increase crop yields, genetically modified foods have become highly toxic to a large segment of the population.

I only have one concrete data point to back this up. A good friend of mine who has a severe gluten allergy was transferred to Hungary for three years. In the US, if this guy went near a piece of bread or cereal he would suffer painful intestinal bouts. Yet he found out in Hungary that he could eat their locally baked dark bread without so much of a hiccup. He investigated and found that the grain (wheat and barley) was locally produced, and that it was a regional strain of wheat and barley that was never ever processed beyond being ground and packaged before being sent to local bakeries. Needless to say it was a revelation to my friend -- who thought that he would never be able to enjoy a basic sandwich.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:38:35 AM by goodfellow »

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »
I started to pay attention to diet talk when Walrus and BK talked about it here several years ago.  Then i saw the success my sister had and now my best friend and GF.  With my body aching and my drive and energy gone, its time to change.   Thankfully my wife is on board.  We see benifits already and aren't deep in yet.  So far limiting sugar is reaping great benefits.