Author Topic: Unusual Ratchets  (Read 51517 times)

Snaparxon

Re: Unusual Ratchets
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2018, 09:04:22 PM »
Blue Point UR715 1/2" long handle

Snaparxon

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2018, 09:07:33 PM »
This one is a common Snap on design and plentiful but all I could find on the internet FV71M. This one is FV71N

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2018, 09:36:40 PM »
I have never seen a long handle Par-X before. That is drool worthy. Quite a score on that one.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2018, 09:42:19 PM »
Last couple for the night, Herbrand & Craftsman Speedratchets, and a modern Snappy speedratchet (with a beautiful Bonny flex head thrown in for good measure):

Snaparxon

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 09:47:22 PM »
I have never seen a long handle Par-X before. That is drool worthy. Quite a score on that one.
It is a Blue Point, I don't think Par-X offered a long handle

Snaparxon

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 09:54:17 PM »
Mac VR8XPA 1/2" drive 3/8" body

Offline 3bay

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2018, 01:18:52 AM »
The weirdest ratchet I've ever had/worked on is the Crescent LT70 and it's odd U-spring double pawl. Not the most durable tool around but very different.

Here's a side-by of a surprise I found in one Crescent when expecting the other - a rubber-y insert instead of the expected spring.  I don't think it's an "aftermarket" upgrade, it looks too refined and finished to have been a replacement by necessity.  The pics suck, but the edges are very smooth/finished, and the material is semi-spongy and returns to form immediately after getting compressed.

I’ve seen both versions too, the spring and the sponge. The sponge was working fine for an old part.

Nice stuff guys.

Offline snapmom

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2018, 07:32:39 AM »
8H8557  1/2DR.

Offline snapmom

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 08:03:30 AM »
Carbon fiber 3/8 dr.  no model number.

Offline snapmom

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »
F710DL  LOANER  made in Canada (restored)

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2018, 08:51:51 AM »
The weirdest ratchet I've ever had/worked on is the Crescent LT70 and it's odd U-spring double pawl. Not the most durable tool around but very different.

Here's a side-by of a surprise I found in one Crescent when expecting the other - a rubber-y insert instead of the expected spring.  I don't think it's an "aftermarket" upgrade, it looks too refined and finished to have been a replacement by necessity.  The pics suck, but the edges are very smooth/finished, and the material is semi-spongy and returns to form immediately after getting compressed.

Never saw the "sponge". This Crescent design seems to get wilder and wilder.  8)

What I found to be the fault with the design is the selector knob. It's quite weak - almost looks cast - and tends to break if dropped or banged because it's quite thin in places due to the groove on the inside. If one could be machined on a mill out of nice steel - and use a sponge spring - the ratchet would probably be fine.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:17:24 AM by bonneyman »

Snaparxon

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2018, 09:05:07 AM »

That is cool!

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2018, 09:28:53 AM »

I’ve seen both versions too, the spring and the sponge. The sponge was working fine for an old part.

Nice stuff guys.

Very cool!!  Glad to finally get confirmed that mine isn't an oddball one-off fix.  Wonder how many other "traditional" (meaning toothed gear) gut designs don't use some type of metal spring for ratcheting/reversing.  Can't recall any others I've collected so far.

Offline PowderKeg

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2018, 09:41:51 AM »
Wrench Force 3/8" drive ratchet made by Snap on

That's a new one to me - is this sold off the truck as a replacement or companion brand for Blue Point, or via auto/industrial distributors (like Williams)?  Is the "Wrench Force" name stamped on the ratchet, or are they going the Artist-Formerly-Known-As-Prince route with just a symbol, which bears a little resemblance to Armstrong? 

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2018, 10:10:44 AM »
Carbon fiber 3/8 dr.  no model number.

F710DL  LOANER  made in Canada (restored)

8H8557  1/2DR.

You have some really incredible stuff. I am always amazed at what you find.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.