Author Topic: Good grief you members in the ice belt take care!  (Read 5026 times)

Offline bonneyman

Good grief you members in the ice belt take care!
« on: February 16, 2021, 09:28:47 AM »
Just reading the news is giving me the chills! Single digit and subzero temps, with no power and no natural gas? Then the water treatment plant goes down and they issue a boil water order. How the heck do you boil water to drink without gas or electric? Gee whiz you guys are getting hammered. I hope all of you stay safe.
Oh, then there was tornados in NC and Georgia. unbelievable.

Other than drought to the point of the weather lady needing a new danger level on her charts we are OK in Tucson.

Offline coolmercury

Re: Good grief you members in the ice belt take care!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 10:17:02 AM »
Hard for the Texas people to respond when they don't have power, but do the cell towers work?  Southern Missouri had minus 10 this morning and about eight inches of snow on top of ice, but power is still up where we live.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 10:26:55 AM »
We are 11 degrees and iced over in Nashville. No power issues here. This is the second day of no work for weather. Usually construction doesn’t stop here. I was the only one out in our neighborhood yesterday, and was cutting donuts and having fun in the mini. I may go fire it up again and pull sleds around.  :93:
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 10:32:36 AM »
It's been cold, damp and miserable weather here in the Atlanta area, but nothing too bad.  Today is the coldest day since last winter with a high of 36.  Should hit 50 tomorrow.

I hadn't heard about any tornadoes. 
boop/bop/beep

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 10:44:14 AM »
I hope everybody getting hammered stays safe.
George, between having a wood stove with a steel top and camping gear we can make coffee and cook food, have lighting and stay warm. We keep fresh water and plenty of food on hand and can handle just about anything. When you live with subzero temps you learn to be prepared and not depend on rescue even when you drive.

Offline john k

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 10:45:35 AM »
11PM last night, tough to see, the flash made the red disappear, its reading -21F, breathing with it that cold was like inhaling shaved ice.  Was outside maybe 2 minutes.  May get above zero tomorrow, first time in 10 days.  Had the first ever rolling blackout this morning at 8, lasted an hour.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 10:47:01 AM »
Weird weather for sure; especially for you southwestern folks. We've had nothing but overcast skies, snow, ice, or freezing rain over the past 12 days. That weather pattern is not very common for the DC area. I'm looking forward to some sunshine over the next few days, but then according to the weatherman, it hits the fan again toward the end of the week. Spring can't come soon enough!

Offline john k

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 10:57:57 AM »
Pulled my generator out of the shed to warm up in the sun, pulling on the rope was a little stiff.  Tried to start the pickup, cranked real slow, pulled on the hood release, snapped right off, did get the hood open to let the sun in, will try it after lunch.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 11:30:42 AM »
It's so dry there's animal advocates groups asking folks to put bowls of water out so the wildlife can have something to drink!

Yeah, right! After years of telling us don't feed the wildlife - as it will make them dependent on you and have them show up around your kids - they now tell us to water the wolves and cats.
Our olive tree is really doing bad. From the picture we had to cut one half of it off, as the trunk had a big crack in it and it was leaning against our wall. Found out more than half of the trunk as rotted out and crumbling dust. And olive trees are known to be tough! We already lost our chinaberry, and pecan tree, and our saguaro cactus out front came down some years ago. It's bad - even for Tucson.

Online walrus

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 06:27:06 PM »
Just another winter day in Maine, 2 inches of sleet, freezing rain and rain. Going to make a mess of ice once temps drop but February sun will take care of it

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2021, 07:20:37 PM »
Ice belt sure has swung south this time. 13f yesterday morning with snow and ice. I spent about 15 hours at work just keeping equipment online. Rolling blackouts for 8 hours dont help. My power at home was off for 8 hours before I got home yesterday evening then I spent 4 hours getting my water well unfrozen. Genset ran flawlessly all night. today was watching leaks pop up as thing thawed out.

A couple pictures I took yesterday am. one is from my driveway and one is the main drag in town.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 09:23:06 PM »
11PM last night, tough to see, the flash made the red disappear, its reading -21F, breathing with it that cold was like inhaling shaved ice.  Was outside maybe 2 minutes.  May get above zero tomorrow, first time in 10 days.  Had the first ever rolling blackout this morning at 8, lasted an hour.

-21 Crap... I cannot even fathom that cold.
Wish i was there for a couple of hrs just to experience it.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 09:29:24 PM »
I just ran up to the store and it was 25F.  In Michigan, that's just another winter day, down here it's cold!

High of 50 tomorrow, then 60s next week!   ;)
boop/bop/beep

Offline john k

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2021, 11:33:11 PM »
Jabber, go stand in a meat locker for a few, no coat.   The realization of COLD  will hit fast

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 02:14:36 PM »
I used to work maintenance at a grocery store, and regularly had to clean out the ice that accumulated in the back freezer due to a drain leak. It was -10 in there, and I couldn't last more than 10 minutes with a normal jacket. Usually had to do it over a whole shift with freeze then warm up then freeze again, chipping away at the mountain of ice with a shovel a bit at a time. Not fun.