Author Topic: Anyone else carry a mini tape measure?  (Read 1777 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Anyone else carry a mini tape measure?
« on: August 05, 2020, 02:27:07 PM »
For years I carried a little 24" white one I got at the local farm show as a kid. It was a surprisingly good little American made tapemeasure with great return.
At this point I've dropped it so many times that it's cracked and it was time to retire it.

I love that little tape so much and found it so useful that I actually paid $12 for a replacement on Ebay  :-\
This one happens to be red and advertising TEXACO.
Call me crazy if you want but I just had to have another one, it's a small little fella but that's what I like about it. It doesn't take up much room in my pocket and 24" is all I need otherwise I'll grab a regular tape measure.

It's such a useful little pocket tool.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Anyone else carry a mini tape measure?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 04:43:30 PM »
I carry a small one in my back pocket - have for many years. Right now the usual is the 6' Stanley on the left but the other two get some use mostly the 10' if I know I'll need a little more rope that day or am shopping for building supplies. I have a few others somewhere but these are the usual ones.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 07:15:20 PM »
An oldie
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 08:00:21 PM »
I carry a small one in my back pocket - have for many years. Right now the usual is the 6' Stanley on the left but the other two get some use mostly the 10' if I know I'll need a little more rope that day or am shopping for building supplies. I have a few others somewhere but these are the usual ones.
I have one of those Stanley's in the little toolbox I'm my locker at work, I think it's the 6'.
They're definitely nice and thin.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 08:32:09 PM »
I like the Stanleys partly because they are thin and partly becaause the tape is black on yellow. Most of the older ones are black on white or black on silver and for me the B/Y contrast is the easiest one to read. Especially if I don't have my reading glasses on.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 10:23:13 AM »
I found a mint in package Marx toys pocketools 24" tape measure online for a good price and decided to buy it mostly out of curiosity. Maybe a collectors piece to some, but I'm gonna open it when I get it.

I know the rest of the MARX pocketools line not actually real no matter how functional they may seem, but how could a " steel tape " not be real ?
I'll bet the spring and tape were sourced from a company making keychain tape measures.

I was so curious I just had to buy it and find out for myself, maybe it will just be a toy but just maybe it will actually be a little gem.
I'm hoping it can be my new pocket tape.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:38:21 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Online stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 06:45:10 PM »
Although not a mini, I carry this frequently.  If memory serves me right it belonged to my grandfather, a self-taught carpenter, Norwegian farmer.

Looks similar to pep's Walsco.
Nick
Yorktown, VA