Author Topic: Any cigar smokers on the GG?  (Read 145830 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #780 on: January 24, 2024, 01:10:37 PM »
Received this cigar in a Christmas sampler. Buffalo Trace Cigar Co. in Toro. The tobacco is barrel aged (makes sense, since Buffalo Trace makes bourbon whiskey). It’s a smooth sweet tobacco taste, with just a hint of vanilla bourbon-like flavor. A good cigar for an afternoon smoke, but a bit too one-dimensional for me. Not a lot going on; unless you really like the whiskey notes.

The smell on the other hand is fantastic though - almost like pipe tobacco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #781 on: January 24, 2024, 07:20:58 PM »
How much does a cigar of the quality those you routinely show in this thread Ray? I don't think I have smoked a cigar in most of 40 years, but honestly those you show look like cigars that I would be very apt to try if the opportunity ever presented itself!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #782 on: January 24, 2024, 08:08:35 PM »
How much does a cigar of the quality those you routinely show in this thread Ray? I don't think I have smoked a cigar in most of 40 years, but honestly those you show look like cigars that I would be very apt to try if the opportunity ever presented itself!

I guess if you're asking price -- most premium cigars that I smoke can range from $8-$25 each. That's a wide range, but in the cigar world things are changing for the better (in terms of quality) every year; hence the prices reflect that commitment to quality.

The cigar market exploded during the COVID crisis, and the demand went through the roof. Prices across the board went up %20-%30 within a year or two.

The exception are Cuban cigars. Since the pandemic, Cubans have increased %50-%100 and more. In some cases prices have quadrupled and quintupled.

Offline muddy

« Reply #783 on: January 25, 2024, 09:33:25 PM »
As more of a occasional smoker, and cheap ass..... I also don't pick up on as many nuances or flavors as others may, I tend to stay around $8-10 a cigar, some times more. I often feel I won't get the full value out of the high end cigars say some pardons or an opious X.

Average Pipe tobacco averagees $10-15 for a 1.5-1.75 oz "tin" of tobacco. However that will last more smokes than a cigar. Bulk tobacco is cheaper.

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #784 on: January 26, 2024, 07:03:17 AM »
As more of a occasional smoker, and cheap ass..... I also don't pick up on as many nuances or flavors as others may................

Agree totally Tim. The cigar "Flavor Profiles" and "hints" of certain flavors vary from person to person, and from cigar to cigar; even when smoking the same brand and from the same box. Most people tend to pick up sweet, pepper, spice, when first dabbling in cigars, but after some time your palate gets used to the earthy and floral notes.
I often get flavors differences between two identical cigars when I smoke them a few weeks /months apart. It just depends on how your palate is sending signals to your brain that particular day. That's why cigar reviews from folks on social media outlets don't really mean much to me. I hardly ever taste what they're tasting.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #785 on: January 26, 2024, 12:10:37 PM »
70 degrees and sunny in January; I’ll take it gladly. Nice afternoon for a cigar. Perdomo Vintage Barrel Aged Nicaraguan blend in size Toro.

It started off very harsh and just tasted like salt and dry hay. I was about to toss it, but decided to let it rest and smolder for another few minutes. Darn if it didn’t wake up and turned into a fine sweet tobacco and hay flavored smoke.

Nice -

Offline muddy

« Reply #786 on: January 26, 2024, 07:28:55 PM »
Interesting. Wonder what caused the poor start. Have you had that happen before?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #787 on: January 26, 2024, 07:43:53 PM »
Lots of times Tim. Most of the time it’s due to the way they were stored at some point in the supply chain. The foot dries out too much and looses it natural oils and the esters produced during fermentation.

It usually subsides after the first 1/4” or so.

Offline muddy

« Reply #788 on: January 28, 2024, 11:16:13 AM »
Did a little reading with some Boswell Northwoods last night.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #789 on: February 07, 2024, 11:59:33 AM »
Interesting cigar. Perez Carrillo heavy box pressed maduro tobacco cigar. The size looks like a corona that has been pressed. Very flavorful cigar. Dried fruit musty sweet tobacco notes. I really like that profile. The cigar is called La Historia -

Maybe the name is intended to bring back memories of a long gone cigar or blend.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 01:45:27 PM by goodfellow »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #790 on: February 16, 2024, 11:19:59 AM »
Latitude Zero extreme sharp box pressed cigar. Got it as a present and don’t really know the brand. Taste is mild and nutty with a hint of fall spices.

Box press is just for show. It doesn’t do anything for enhancing flavor or burn. Like many shaped cigars, it’s meant to show the skill of the cigar maker.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 11:21:48 AM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

« Reply #791 on: February 24, 2024, 10:20:39 PM »
Ace Prime Factory Cut. A nice standard cigar.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #792 on: February 25, 2024, 07:24:33 AM »
Good on you Tim. Hope it was a pleasant hour of peaceful reflection. 

I smoked one yesterday while walking the dog. They're good everyday cigars. I have my three go-to "dog walkin'" brands always in the humidor.

Flor de Oliva
Prime Factory Cut
Factory Smokes Sweets

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #793 on: February 25, 2024, 09:14:39 AM »
Factory Sweets, YUM! GF sent me a care package some weeks back which I have been working my way through. So far, the FS is my hands down favorite.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #794 on: February 26, 2024, 09:30:00 AM »
I have a real “love/hate” relationship with R&J non-Cuban cigars. Some of the worst tasting and badly constructed cigars have been R&Js. I gave up on the brand a few years ago. This one was a present - and “surprise!!!”, it’s a great cigar. Perfect construction, flawless draw, and a slightly musty and nutty aged tobacco taste.

I like it - Nicaraguan Reserva Real - in Toro.
I’m still not sold on the brand overall, but this is a great surprise.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 09:32:42 AM by goodfellow »