Author Topic: best 70 dollars worth of hang tags money can buy?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
best 70 dollars worth of hang tags money can buy?
« on: December 31, 2023, 02:59:41 PM »
 the mrs. had me on a shopping mission through the local wally world last week. she was down and out with covid and once again i don't know if or when i may have had it. don't worry, she is fine and back to cracking the whip.

anyhow, this fully matched set of hang tags caught my eye. genuine made in usa tags in a variety of sizes and shapes.

being a connoisseur of fine hang tags, i had to have em.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: best 70 dollars worth of hang tags money can buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 03:01:44 PM »
now my only issue is how to remove the oddly shaped metal and plastic bits from them so i can properly display them on some pegboard.

any ideas?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 03:26:42 PM »
Very nice -- love the intricate craftsmanship of those hang tags. The quality definitely shows.

Oh, and the metal-looking "thingies" look nice too.   

Offline walrus

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 04:54:50 PM »
Mayhew makes tough prybars, I've whacked the crap out the striking top on mine and its still around to work.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 05:21:10 PM »
Do you need an additional zip code for storing that longer tool-shaped object? It might not fit in just one.

Nice hang tags by the way.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 10:04:30 PM »
Wally world! Seriously? My, they are carrying some very nice hang tags these days aren't they!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 06:15:37 AM »
They do look sweet.  Easiest way to remove the metal things is to cut it with a hack saw or cut off wheel and it will slide right out without harming the hang tag

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 12:36:02 PM »
Mayhew makes tough prybars, I've whacked the crap out the striking top on mine and its still around to work.
These Hyper Tough branded handle pry bars are rebranded WILDE, they were red up until a year or two ago.
They also make the orange ones for LANG, made the red ones for Craftsman 
,and they made them for menards / masterforce too but I don't remember the color, they might have also made them for true value  master mechanic.
I've had the full range from Hyper Tough for a few years now and they're great.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 12:39:45 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 03:17:48 PM »
...Easiest way to remove the metal things is to cut it with a hack saw or cut off wheel and it will slide right out without harming the hang tag

Now THAT is some seriously quality humor. Side splitting, and coffee spitting content. Thank you for that.

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 09:39:21 PM »
Wally world! Seriously? My, they are carrying some very nice hang tags these days aren't they!
The pry bars are about the only USA made hyper tough that I can think of.

Great grab on those hang tags SK!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 10:44:16 PM »
i got so wrapped up in those hang tags i didn't realize what those other parts were. turns out they are some pretty nifty pry bars and a parts scraper. the bars actually match up pretty well with some bars i already have. when it comes to bars, shouldn't you have 2 of each anyway. it sure seems like it anyway. lots of thing work better in pairs and i think bars one of them.

that tiny little bar and that largest one are a little hard to come by as is the scraper.  surprising considering how handy they are. i must have got lucky that since the hang tags kind of match so did the bars and scraper.

seeing as how the scraper tag wrung up at 7.30, the 3-piece tag at 22.97 and the 2 larger tags at 11.58 and 22.88 respectively that figures at 64.81 before the governor and mayor took their 5.10 cut. that's less than 11 bucks a pop on average. i cannot think of a bigger/better upgrade to your tool arsenal with such a minimal impact your pocketbook. i give them a solid pass even if hyper tough is silly name.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 10:48:16 PM by skfarmer »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024, 12:08:41 AM »
The pry bars are about the only USA made hyper tough that I can think of.

Great grab on those hang tags SK!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
They had a very chintzy little 2 piece screwdriver set a few years back that were USA made,  there was a great neck made back saw with yellow miter box, they had a generic metal razor scraper that I believe was USA made, they have some utility knife blades, a few cheap plastic toolboxes, and they have some plastic ammo cans that are USA made. They sell the black and see through ones in the tool section as utility boxes.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2024, 08:02:55 AM »
Hang tags ...........lmao, you guys are serious about them.  :-\ Always thought it was sort of a tongue-in-cheek joke.
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2024, 09:35:59 AM »
Hang tags ...........lmao, you guys are serious about them.  :-\ Always thought it was sort of a tongue-in-cheek joke.

oh it absolutely is tongue in cheek. years ago someone over on channel 3 started a thread or topic on how to remove a tool from a hang tag. it may have been a ratchet but that doesn't really matter. what matters is that i responded by commenting that if said person could not remove a hang tag from a tool, they may not be qualified to use it. i also may have said that a better option may be to return it if they could not figure out how to remove one or not damage it.

apparently, that did not sit well with the owner and a suspension ensued. some people can't handle the truth and have a sense of humor. it then evolved into a hang tag being more  important or valuable than the tool itself. it is also a bit of a poke at people who have a a vast assortment or collection of shiny tools yet have no clue how to use them.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2024, 09:42:05 AM »

oh it absolutely is tongue in cheek. years ago someone over on channel 3 started a thread or topic on how to remove a tool from a hang tag. it may have been a ratchet but that doesn't really matter. what matters is that i responded by commenting that if said person could not remove a hang tag from a tool, they may not be qualified to use it. i also may have said that a better option may be to return it if they could not figure out how to remove one or not damage it.

apparently, that did not sit well with the owner and a suspension ensued. some people can't handle the truth and have a sense of humor. it then evolved into a hang tag being more  important or valuable than the tool itself. it is also a bit of a poke at people who have a a vast assortment or collection of shiny tools yet have no clue how to use them.

I remember that "dust up" over there very well. It was hilarious to see "grown" men get their panties in a wad over the most trivial of issues. That thread was great!!!

That thread was almost (emphasis on almost) as funny and weird as when some guys over there starting posting half naked pics of their wives and girlfriends. I knew then and there that I couldn't stick around that place for much longer.