Author Topic: Those bastards ( a place to Express price gouging frustration )  (Read 3861 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Those bastards ( a place to Express price gouging frustration )
« on: October 20, 2020, 11:36:16 PM »
For months my favorite microwave popcorn has been unavailable, my brand is pop weaver and I can't find it anywhere  :'( :'( ( can't stand Orville redenbachers , and pop secret is okay but not the same ).
I decided to look online just to see, and on Walmart.com the same 20ct box I used to pay $6 for various sellers want $20-$30  :-\ the 40ct box was normally $9.
Now I don't eat popcorn as much anymore because of some dental problems,  but I enjoy it once in a while.

Damn these price gougers are disgusting people.

Well my rant is over, feel free to post your own price gouging woes.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Barks

Re: Those bastards ( a place to Express price gouging frustration )
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 08:46:54 AM »
You need to make the connection between not available and the price. 

Offline highland512

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 09:01:42 AM »
Free market economics my dude.

Low supply + high (or any) demand=higher prices

My guess is now that the corn crop is coming in you will start seeing your brand again. With everyone sitting there asses in front of netflix for the 15 day shut down that started in March demand has been way up. 

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2020, 09:19:11 AM »
another thought. think how much popcorn is packaged in huge quantities to go to theatres and the like that go through hundreds of pounds. that stuff is just sitting there in a different part of the food chain waiting to get used.

kind of like toilet paper. when everybody stays home they don't crap at work. when at home they want the nice stuff and use more of it.  most offices, malls, schools and the like had truckloads of the commercial stuff just sitting there.

from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2020, 09:59:48 AM »
i can understand your frustration. there is bad microwave popcorn and then there is better microwave popcorn.

every now and then i get a hankering for real popcorn. real popcorn is made with oil. better yet make some bacon and use the bacon grease to make popcorn on the stove with an old fashioned popper...........mmmmmmm..........

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 10:03:47 AM »
Damn now I want some popcorn 

Offline ken w.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
I don't like popcorn much unless it's covered in caramel or maple syrup. However I may try it cooked in bacon fat. Everything is better with bacon.  Is microwave popcorn better than old fashion popcorn ? 

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 11:25:03 AM »
No......

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 11:36:04 AM »
Not long ago there was article about how much popcorn was stored in silos due to the movie theatres being shutdown. A year or two ago I was looking for the sugar free IHOP syrup I really liked. Doing research I found out that they discontinued the bottling and consumer sales of the syrup. The prices online for the stuff were out of sight. Greed or just plain capitalism?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 11:41:57 AM »
I don't like popcorn much unless it's covered in caramel or maple syrup. However I may try it cooked in bacon fat. Everything is better with bacon.  Is microwave popcorn better than old fashion popcorn ?
No but it's just one of those things, theres something about it I really like that's specific to pop weaver microwave popcorn.

It's kind of like your favorite fruit vs your favorite candy version of it that you really like, nothing compares to the real deal but theres just something about the artificial stuff that just hits the spot sometimes.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 11:46:43 AM »
Reminds me of my dog, she won't eat regular popcorn.
Funny thing is she has no clue her dog food is stored in these steel popcorn oil buckets.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 03:30:16 PM »
not a fan of microwave popcorn.  Too many additives and I try to eat somewhat clean,.  I mostly do air pop and melt butter for it .  Maybe not as tasty as bacon grease corn (sounds great) but somewhat healthier

As to the original purpose of the thread, the equipment I sell is getting darn pricey.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2020, 03:52:17 PM »
   My girlfriend will only eat organic popcorn.  That's expensive stuff. Black or red kernels.

Funny story about microwave popcorn. A bunch of us used to hang out a friends garage. This guy John asked to use the microwave for popcorn. After about 10 minutes the smoke alarm went off. Microwave was on fire and kitchen filled with smoke. We called him Popcorn John after that.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 04:11:19 PM »
I pretty much only eat air popped anymore but haven't had any in a while as my wife tossed the air popper in disgust as she doesn't like it. I hate to admit it but the grossing her out part makes it taste all the better. Not a big fan of microwave but a plain variety of O. Redenbacher is not bad (sorry OP). I don't add salt to anything ever so I am used to the taste of things the way they taste. That goes to the air popped I don't salt it or add butter just eat it as popped and it's actually pretty good and has a subtle sweet taste once you get used to not having the salt and butter tastes added to it.

I watch these cooking shows and am horrified by how much salt these folks dump into their cooking. I like Anne Burrell but she is like salt junkie and I expect to see an Anne Burrell shaped salt pillar similar to Lots wife one day and Scott Conant must work for the salt lobby. It sometimes seems he likes equal parts food and salt.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 04:35:56 PM »

I watch these cooking shows and am horrified by how much salt these folks dump into their cooking. I like Anne Burrell but she is like salt junkie and I expect to see an Anne Burrell shaped salt pillar similar to Lots wife one day and Scott Conant must work for the salt lobby. It sometimes seems he likes equal parts food and salt.

:))

Personally I can't eat popcorn. One un-popped kernel getting pinched under dental bridgework can ruin your whole day. Or week. Ask me how I know. :c002: