Author Topic: Who rebuilt this Craftsman ratchet?  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Tool Pants

Who rebuilt this Craftsman ratchet?
« on: January 02, 2020, 04:46:46 PM »
?

Offline oldnslo

Re: Who rebuilt this Craftsman ratchet?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 10:09:01 PM »
I'll admit to it. It was me, and I recall the party from the night before. ShooooooWEEEEEE...that place was jumpin and some good times were had.

Well, at least I got the ratchet all back together again. Probably took me close to an hour.  You should see the screwdrivers I was refurbing that day. Those were a whole bowl of all wrong and messed up. My supervisor put me on mop duty the rest of the day.

;)

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 12:28:40 AM »
I have seen that done before not sure the reason except maybe for clearance of the selector. But then the sockets can interfere with the selector - especially larger ones. I have to admit bugs the crapola out of me and I have to make them right again when I snag them.

Or maybe someone just does it different. My late FIL used to cut cantalopes open the wrong way - I cut them long ways so the seed cavity is shaped like a football and shallow he always cut them short ways so the cavity was round and deep. I have to admit that bugs the crapola out of me as well and my wife does it the way her father did it...

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 08:57:49 AM »
There's this thing called tool dyslexia and......

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 09:01:27 AM »
can't say i have ever seen it on one of them. i didn't know it was possible. seen it on many of the proto ratchets, that is pretty common.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 11:54:40 AM »
I picked up a 3/4dr Proto like that and realized that was a bad way to assemble a ratchet so I sold it to a friend.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 01:40:12 AM »
I kinda like the idea.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 10:16:16 PM »
can't say i have ever seen it on one of them. i didn't know it was possible. seen it on many of the proto ratchets, that is pretty common.

I've seen it on some Protos and older Armstrong pear heads too, I think. I always figured it was a redneck way to "fix" the ratchet say if the spring for the tightening side got weak from heavy use, and started to slip. Of course im not sure why they couldn't swap springs side to side, but would flip the wheel. Maybe there were other reasons.

But those C-mans have 1 spring, a ball, and Batman pawl. Accidental, carelessness, again some special reason I can't think of.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 10:25:42 PM »
I bet it was an old guy, or a young guy that made a mistake. Years ago guys did them that way on purpose. I never did, but some guys did.

My OCD would prevent me from leaving a ratchet like that. I just would not be able to live with it that way.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!