Author Topic: Mazda B2600 earning its keep - LOL  (Read 11773 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Mazda B2600 earning its keep - LOL
« on: December 01, 2018, 01:14:56 PM »
Big 4x4 Dodge wouldn't start - so the Mazda had to get the Christmas trees and decorations this year. One year on, and the paint job is holding up great. A few scratches here and there, but it still shows what a good value the Vaspar Tractor and Implement paint is.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
Re: Mazda B2600 earning its keep - LOL
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 09:08:54 PM »
GF,

Just a note,  I used to own an Isuzu 2.5 ton flatbed diesel truck.  I painted it (bought at Tractor Supply Store) with the same paint you used on your Mazda.  The cab was sprayed in fleet white paint.  The bed and underbed tool boxes were painted satin black and applied with a foam roller.  The side rails and front rack were sprayed with John Deere Green paint.   The whole project came together very nicely and looked like it was meant to be.  This truck was outside in the Texas weather 24/7/365 for the next 10 years and still looked good when I sold it.  The guy who bought it asked me where it was painted.  I told him it was painted right where the truck was parked in my driveway.  He couldn't believe.

Thought you might like to know...
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 09:26:33 PM »
Looking good Ray!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:40:40 PM »
GF,

Just a note,  I used to own an Isuzu 2.5 ton flatbed diesel truck.  I painted it (bought at Tractor Supply Store) with the same paint you used on your Mazda.  The cab was sprayed in fleet white paint.  The bed and underbed tool boxes were painted satin black and applied with a foam roller.  The side rails and front rack were sprayed with John Deere Green paint.   The whole project came together very nicely and looked like it was meant to be.  This truck was outside in the Texas weather 24/7/365 for the next 10 years and still looked good when I sold it.  The guy who bought it asked me where it was painted.  I told him it was painted right where the truck was parked in my driveway.  He couldn't believe.

Thought you might like to know...

The Isuzu diesel trucks are legendary Gary. I'd love to have one (or it's cousin the Chevy Luv). You're right about the paint. It holds up, and it was cheap. That said, the Ford Red is beginning to fade just a bit (as all Alkyd enamels tend to do) due to sun exposure. It will last for many years, but the fade is noticeable. The white is perfect -- sun doesn't bother white very much.

I did recently see a 1990's Chevy full size truck painted with a foam roller and tractor paint (not Valspar, but the current Majic offering). It looked awesome -- the guy did a great job in his garage and color sanded between coats -- lots of work, but it looked impressive.

Offline Royse

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 11:45:52 PM »
Very nice. I saw your bumper rebuild post too. Nice job.
My '89 Dodge was painted with Valspar tractor paint too.
Farmall red with a $10 Harbor Freight paint gun.
When I figure out how to get pictures to load, I'll post some.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 07:38:57 AM »
Welcome -- excellent work on that Dodge! Reminds me of a time when trucks were actually trucks -- not overpriced gadget loaded limos with a bed.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 06:36:48 PM »
Those $10 Harbor Freight purple guns are my "good" guns now. ;D   They're easily repairable when they go to acting up, just toss it in the trash and open another box. :D

Offline Royse

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 09:17:17 PM »
Those $10 Harbor Freight purple guns are my "good" guns now. ;D   They're easily repairable when they go to acting up, just toss it in the trash and open another box. :D
Yep, that's the way I fix them too. I do have a few expensive paint guns I will fix, but those HF cheapies work fine for most stuff!
Here's a link to more pictures of that Dodge if you guys are bored. ;) I wish I could sort them to put them in order. Grrr.
The '89 was a 3.9L V6 originally. Transplant was a '79 318 bored .040 over, motorhome ground cam, 340 high rise intake, Edlebrock 650.
The sheetmetal was fixed, not replaced and it was painted right about where that first picture I posted was taken.

Hope this works - https://photos.app.goo.gl/YjFwfVyc9t1AbJy98
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:30:22 PM by Royse »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 09:39:45 PM »
Royse, quite the project you pulled on that Dodge.

Offline Royse

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 10:42:00 PM »
Thanks Slip Knot, it was a fun project for sure!
I bought that truck in it's former brown form with the topper, running and driving for $500.
I did the engine work and drove it for a while, then decided I'd do the body work as a second project.
About a year after I finished it, I sold it for exactly what I had into it. (sans labor)
But I had driven it for nearly 15 years by then, so I felt really good about that.

Forum question - I'm pretty sure I marked the box to notify me of replies, but I'm not getting any email notifications.
Is there something I'm missing on that?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 10:44:03 PM by Royse »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 07:14:55 AM »

Forum question - I'm pretty sure I marked the box to notify me of replies, but I'm not getting any email notifications.

If the box for notifications are checked - and your email address is correctly entered, then you should be good to go. One other thing to check is your "spam" folder. Some mail packages automatically ID forum replies as junk email, and then it's treated as spam.

Offline Royse

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 10:54:08 PM »

If the box for notifications are checked - and your email address is correctly entered, then you should be good to go. One other thing to check is your "spam" folder. Some mail packages automatically ID forum replies as junk email, and then it's treated as spam.

Thanks goodfellow, I think I have it figured out now. Again, great job on that Mazda.
I bought a 1989 B2200 brand new in 1988. It was a great little truck!
Two wheel drive, 4 cylinder, 5 speed. Cloth interior and carpet. AC/Cruise, manual windows.
I kept it until my son got too big to straddle the shifter, then traded it in on a car with more room.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:58:55 PM by Royse »