VEHICLES > DAILY DRIVERS/GROCERY GETTERS

The Mrs. got a "new" car

<< < (2/3) > >>

skfarmer:
should be good wheels. i admit there is too much tech in most vehicles but i sure do enjoy heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel here in the north land. temps can vary from -25 to nearly 100 degrees on a regular basis.

stokester:

--- Quote from: bonneyman on January 14, 2024, 11:50:06 AM ---Yeah, 10-4. It has the Eco-boost function which shuts off the engine at stoplights then restarts the motor when you take your foot off the brake. Gonna have to go thru the book and find out how to turn off unnecessary functions.

Obviously the huge screen and Wi-Fi will be ignored as much as possible.

--- End quote ---
I was initially skeptical of the auto stop/start "feature" when it first started appearing in the Chevys while I worked at the dealership.  In my time there I never had to replace a starter or belt in one of these vehicles, time will tell its reliability.  If I remember right they came with an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery which are more expensive but generally don't discharge as quickly during periods of rest.  I use this type on my motorcycles with battery tenders to keep them fully charged and find they last longer.

My 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee (3.6L V6) has this but unlike the GMs I worked on, it could be switched off but defaults on.  Don't know if the Toyotas allow you to turn it off.

goodfellow:
Most all of the "start-stop" systems can be turned off. The problem is that in many cases they can't be turned off permanently, and you have to remember to turn it off every time you start the car.

There is a growth industry in this space. Some up-and-coming companies now provide a dongle that plugs into the OBDII port of your vehicle and disables the "start-stop" function permanently. Where there is a need, an entrepreneur will find a way to fill it. I like that a lot....  :bravo_2:

bonneyman:
You guys know me....I'll get an axe and a chainsaw and cut out all that electronic crap!  :))

goodfellow:

--- Quote from: bonneyman on January 17, 2024, 08:54:21 PM ---You guys know me....I'll get an axe and a chainsaw and cut out all that electronic crap!  :))

--- End quote ---

Yup, I'm with you on that idea George. On a personal note, I find myself in a similar situation. The newest vehicle I drive is a 2011 DTS, and my truck is a 2003 Dakota 4x4. I'll have to bite the bullet sooner or later and get a new vehicle. Problem is I don't like anything that's on the market. All of the modern offerings are computerized nightmares, and finding good older vehicles is getting harder by the month. New car prices are so high, the used market is in a feeding frenzy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version