Author Topic: History of Gauge Blocks -  (Read 2729 times)

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
History of Gauge Blocks -
« on: November 24, 2020, 08:20:37 AM »
We never think about measuring standards and their importance in our everyday lives. It's quite a bid deal, and it wasn't until the late 19th and early 20th century that industrial measurements were standardized. Specifically is was C. E. Johansson of Sweden who developed the industrial standard gauge blocks that made the latter half of the industrial revolution so successful. They were so important in the development of our nation's industrial infrastructure that Henry Ford purchased the entire company and hired C. E. Johansson as Ford's head of metrology. For decades, the Henry Ford company and C. E. Johansson produced the most accurate industrial standard gauge sets in use by American industry. Without a standard set of measurements, the US industrial engine would not have been able to meet the requirements of WWI and WWII production.

The attached article gives a great history of the man (Carl Edvard Johansson), his ideas and company, and his importance to modern manufacturing.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 11:09:06 AM by goodfellow »

Offline oldnslo

Re: History of Gauge Blocks -
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 04:09:18 PM »
...metrology...

Dang!

Yet one more word I will need to add to my vocabulary, and casually introduce when the next round of frosty adult beverage consumption activities resume after the C-19 disastrophy is over.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 06:36:58 PM »
I have these in my machinist box. I think they came in a box full of stuff I bought. Looks like some sort of gage block accessory, the flat is at the centerline of the point.

I was always intrigued because they are marked C.E. Johansson, Ford, and on the opposite side are marked with the Brown & Sharpe logo. Both are identical.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 08:25:25 PM »
Cool find Dave -- thanks for sharing.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 09:09:00 PM »
Those are very nice Dave. We have the wife's set of German made Jo blocks that were in her QC room and they passed calibration every year. Rarely used the gear in the QC room but we had to maintain it in calibration just in case we needed it for a job.