Author Topic: 1951 Farmall Super A  (Read 3707 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: 1951 Farmall Super A
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2024, 09:23:32 AM »
looks good and nothing wrong with simple!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2024, 07:42:51 PM »
Progress!

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman

Offline highland512

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2024, 01:13:00 PM »
I fired it up and moved it under its own power over the weekend. I need to brush up on my carb tuning. The tractor seems VERY cold natured, my thinking is that most of that should be fixed with some timing and carb tuning.

I also picked up an old 2 row set of lilliston cultivators out of the fence line of a fellow church member. The tooling for these little things is outragus so being able to find old iron seems to be the best way to put tools together.

More pictures to come. 

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2024, 01:30:11 PM »
 :bravo_2:  :cool2:
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2024, 09:00:38 PM »
They dont have an accelerator pump so you have to run a tad rich to get it transition smoothly from the idle circuit to the hi speed circuit.

Offline highland512

« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2024, 07:40:44 AM »
After many hours of frustration, adjusting the carb, revving the engine, adjusting the timing and governor reaction. I found my issue to be the points and condenser. On the points there is a fiber "ramp" that rides the cam to open the contacts, mine was wore down to nothing which would explain why the machine ran like crap at every speed but idle or wide open.

I know many people praise this system for its simplicity but personally, after installing ignitor digital system on my Oliver that has no moving parts and two wires. The only advantage a points and condenser has is low cost and parts can be had easily at the local NAPA. The wireless system never needs adjusting, cleaned, lubed, or filling off of corrosion. When I looked up the same system for the Super A I was shocked to $250 + shipping. WOW.........apparently inflation was a real bitch at the Pantronix company. O well, at least little man got an education on diagnosing a breaker points system and how it works, and I got a reeducation on installing tiny fasteners in on a horizontally mounted distributer.  :D     

Offline john k

« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2024, 11:35:40 PM »
With points install, a slotted screw holder is a must.  That little fiber ramp needs just a touch of light grease to keep it from wearing down.  Good to hear them fire up, isnt it.