Author Topic: Trying something a bit different for a job  (Read 5673 times)

Offline bonneyman

Trying something a bit different for a job
« on: April 04, 2019, 07:17:14 PM »
An old supervisor is working for a new company, and they need technicians. Since my own thing is just dead, I agreed to a lunch meeting.

New start-up company, 35 year old go-getter owner. They don't have trucks yet, so they want me to use my van. And they do insurance work - like American Home Shield but I don't have to be on the phone. So, I wouldn't have to learn a new truck, I can carry whatever tools I want, and I get per diem. Plus a flat rate for the work. They'll let me work part time, and - if I run into trouble - somebody will help me out. Gotta learn a smart phone, as they do everything on it. But my friend is an old fart like me, and he's having to learn the thing, too.
Getting in on the ground floor of a new company has it's advantages. I'm leaning toward it. Gonna go in for their weekly meeting on Monday, and my friend said I could do a ride-along with the owner for a day. See what he's like, what he knows, what he's looking for.

What do you all think?

Offline bmwrd0

Re: Trying something a bit different for a job
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
Sounds good. If you don't need to be out hustling work but are getting steady jobs, that's a plus in my book. Also, one thing to keep in mind, would you be getting reimbursed for gas at the Fed rate*? It's your vehicle and you are responsible for maintaining it. They should be covering that.

*54.5 cents a mile.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 08:45:14 PM »
Sounds good to me. you can always drag up ifn it don't work out.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 08:49:48 PM »
Sounds like it might be a good fit for you. I'm guessing with an insurance company paying the bills it'll be focused on repairs rather than upselling new equipment. And you really have nothing to loose trying it.

Speaking of insurance companies a buddy of mine has got a side gig inspecting hvac insurance claims for lightning strikes and power surges. Basically just electrical diag and taking pictures. He sometimes changes out caps and contactors if that's all it is but I don't know if that's part of the insurance deal or cash money between him and the homeowner. Anyways it's something else you could maybe look into.

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 08:53:39 PM »
I think it sounds great.  Smart phones are pretty easy.  Within a week you'll be an old pro!  ;D
boop/bop/beep

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 09:23:34 PM »
Never know what could be if you don't go for it, good luck!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 09:42:59 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words, guys. I figure the ride along with the owner will make or break the deal.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 06:17:33 AM »
Good luck to you.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 06:51:22 AM »
Sounds like a great opportunity. You get to do what you're good at, with minimal interference from management -- Perfect!

lostmind

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 07:35:45 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging words, guys. I figure the ride along with the owner will make or break the deal.

Don't bring up politics

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 07:45:36 AM »
Good on you.

Learning the smart phone is part of today's business.  My wife works part-time as an office manager/bookkeeper/scheduler for a small contractor who pretty much runs his business with his phone.  She had to convince him to let her put up a wall calendar with the schedule.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline highland512

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 07:59:06 AM »
Im of the opinion that you cant do business without a smart phone anymore. So many thing are handled through email and with the ever increasing number of apps you can do everything from ordering materials to work coding and tracking.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 10:05:24 AM »
I finally gave up my flip phone about 4 years ago. I didn't really want one but I had to get it. It took a little getting used to but it does make life easier and I wouldn't want to go back to a flip phone. I haven't downloaded any extra apps to it but would if I needed to. The phone paid off one day at TSC when I saw a Hobart welder on clearance sale. I checked the price of the welder on google and found out the welder was over 50% off the best price I could find. When the lady rang it up at the register she remarked someone had put the clearance sticker on the wrong model of welder but that it was mine. That made me really like the smart phone.

I say give the job a shot and see what happens. You have everything you need to do the work except for the phone.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 04:50:51 PM »
Seeing as you have skin(your van and equipment) in this game, i think you should ask for a percentage of the company, to go along with the getting paid part. They need you.

Maybe a quarterly, semi annual or annual check for your part of the profit. That way when you get tired or worse can not work you can still have your little part and get a check for the hard work you put in getting this little adventure off the ground. Everything in writing of course and all legal and such.

Either way I guess it'll put a little cash in your pocket for the time being.
Rich

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 05:35:38 PM »
Seeing as you have skin(your van and equipment) in this game, i think you should ask for a percentage of the company, to go along with the getting paid part. They need you.

Maybe a quarterly, semi annual or annual check for your part of the profit. That way when you get tired or worse can not work you can still have your little part and get a check for the hard work you put in getting this little adventure off the ground. Everything in writing of course and all legal and such.

Either way I guess it'll put a little cash in your pocket for the time being.

Well, if I were to go at it full bore, yes, Id try and get a share. But because I'm not entirely sure I'm physically still able to do the full job, I've got more of a give it a shot, see how long I can last, make some $$ while I'm at it.
And being my own truck if I get hurt or sick or quit I don't have to worry about emptying the work truck while being watched over as a potential thief. (Yes, I have had that happen more than once!) Just head home and bring back his small inventory of parts later.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 09:35:26 AM »
OK, attended a company meeting yesterday and met the existing staff. The owner seems pretty cool, and is willing to work with me as they need technicians and there just aren't that many out there. So, my willing to work with my physical limitations and adjust things so maybe I can help them out. They promise me they won't work me to death, so that's promising.
Doing a ride-along with their lead service tech today, just to get a sense of what kinds of calls they get and how they run them. It should be nice to be with a comparable guy all day talking shop and speaking the same language. Then we'll decide what to do. Supposed to be 95 today, so, wish me luck!

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2019, 12:27:39 PM »
Good luck!

I hope to hear a really good experience later today about things working out very well.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 09:09:58 PM »
All in all the day went uneventfully. The other tech was a nice guy, young but eager. Dealing with the insurance company and the endless apps on the smart phone were dizzying!

Now that I'm home I'm dragging my butt around the house sore as heck, my legs and knees are throbbing. Gonna try another hot shower and liniment. I know I'm out of shape but come on! :-[