Author Topic: Trailer Lights  (Read 2825 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
Trailer Lights
« on: April 11, 2019, 04:47:46 PM »
When checking the lights on my 5x10 drop-gate utility trailer I found neither side working and wiggling the lamp connectors flashed the bulbs.  A bit of troubleshooting identified a bad ground as well as corrosion in the lamp sockets.

I decided it was now time to update the trailer with LED lamps so a quick search brought up this set on walmart.com for just over $20 and if I added enough for a $35 purchase the shipping was included. 
https://www.walmart.com/ip/MaxxHaul-70205-12V-All-LED-Submersible-Trailer-Light-Kit/48630840

The set arrived in two days and included as the picture shows; two tail/signal lamps, side marker lamps, tag bracket, full 4-pin wiring for both the trailer and vehicle and quick-connect terminals.  Installation of the tail lamps went without a hitch (side markers later) and work great.  I'm not a fan of the quick connectors so I used solder with shrink tubing but some good shrink and seal butt connectors would work well.  Those quick connects are not to be trusted.

Looks to be a good value.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline DeadNutz

Re: Trailer Lights
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 08:29:18 PM »
That is a good deal for those lamps. I had a side marker lamp fail about 10-12 years ago and 2 LED side markers cost about $30. I had to replace a tail light on the trailer after someone busted one. I would have liked to replace them both with LED's but they were still expensive even 6-7 years ago. I may change lights now that the price is down.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 08:37:20 PM »
Great Value!! -- and kudos for soldering the joints Nick. That makes for a much more reliable and robust system.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 09:45:06 PM »
Do yourself a big favor, don't use the ball as the ground, wire it via the harness. Will it work with the ball as the return, yes, is reliable no.

Cheers,
Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 07:04:18 AM »
Great Value!! -- and kudos for soldering the joints Nick. That makes for a much more reliable and robust system.
This Power Probe butane soldering iron works great and I generally solder rather than use butt connectors.

Do yourself a big favor, don't use the ball as the ground, wire it via the harness. Will it work with the ball as the return, yes, is reliable no.

Cheers,
Pep
I've got a ground lug into the frame.  Many times you can tell a ball-grounded trailer by the flickering lights.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 06:56:46 AM by stokester »
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 08:06:07 PM »
I've been meaning to get me one of those kits!!!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk