Author Topic: I need help identifying / tracking down a tool of sorts.  (Read 1690 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

I need help identifying / tracking down a tool of sorts.
« on: January 06, 2021, 03:56:00 PM »
I know exactly what it's for and I use it every day, but I have absolutely no clue what it's actually called and cannot find anything like it online  :banghead:

My dad bought this two hand shoe / boot buffing tool at the PX in ft Bliss TX in '77, and gave it to me with his boot care kit years ago.

I use it every single day because it works wonders for blending in the scuffs and scratches on my Thorogood boots, sadly at this point it's starting to deteriorate and fall apart little by little every time I use it.

If there are any veterans on this forum that might know what this thing is called I would really appreciate it.
I just have to track down another one,  hopefully I'm not a moron and these are still readily available at any Walmart.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Hootbro

Re: I need help identifying / tracking down a tool of sorts.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 05:34:36 PM »
That brush looks like a specialty brush that someone in the business of shining shoes would use. Just about every shoe shine brush I have seen was a horse hair single handed brush.

If still made, it probably is going to be a niche item not sold through normal retail channels.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 06:34:34 PM »
That brush looks like a specialty brush that someone in the business of shining shoes would use. Just about every shoe shine brush I have seen was a horse hair single handed brush.

If still made, it probably is going to be a niche item not sold through normal retail channels.
It's more of a Buff than a brush,  but you could be right
I can find an oval shaped one hand  thing, and one that's on a wood backer like brush, but nothing just like this.

If it's a professional shoeshiine tool however,  I wonder why they'd be sold in the PX system ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 10:42:46 AM »
Well the mystery has been solved.

I asked on another forum I'm on and someone turned up a listing for one NOS on Ebay right away, I couldn't buy it fast enough.

It's a Bolero shoe buffer, I'm guessing nobody else made something like it because searching that still turns up nothing.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 06:25:20 PM »
"Bolero shoe buffer", sounds like a mexican restaurant,  Burrito shoe buffet :035:
1776 ................... what happened!