Author Topic: Lessons Learned.....  (Read 1492 times)

Offline muddy

Lessons Learned.....
« on: November 21, 2020, 02:42:51 PM »
...the hard way

Well as I posted I was planning to do a rehaul of the cooling system in the Plymouth. Well the radiator went smoothly.....

However I went to go after the water pump..... 

I was under the impression that everything was external on the pump. Well it is, however you must remove the timing belt, and intermediate shaft gear to remove all the bolts. So now I'm waiting on a timing belt, tensioner, and front crank seal.

Obviously if I would have taken the time to really look or do the research i would have ordered all the parts I need and be done by now. And yes it should have been done in the first place as the belt has AT LEAST 100,000 miles on it and is 6 year old. (that's how long I've had it and it's never been done.) On the bright side it's a major weak spot taken care of and other than a head gasket anything else major to fail will condemn the car now lol

Well lesson learned the hard way.....

What are some lessons you learned the hard way?

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline coolmercury

Re: Lessons Learned.....
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 02:54:28 PM »
Measure twice and cut once!  Not too long ago I was making a cabinet out of walnut.  So I planed another board and then proceeded to cut it too short. :c002:

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 02:57:17 PM »
Pretty much all of them! :character0029:
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 02:58:14 PM »
"Been There Done That" Tim -- definitely a lesson learned, but at least you didn't lose money on the project. Good luck!

Offline john k

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 07:20:58 PM »
Swapped an Olds rear end into an IHC Travelall.  Could not find the correct one anywhere..   The Olds measured up pretty well, width, spring perches, even drive shaft.  Got it in, brakes rebuilt,  bolted down done.  Found the Olds wheels were dished in, not out, and hit the body before seating on the brake drums.  Did a little screaming.  Made some spacers,  got rid of it a year later.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 08:34:50 PM »
Nope, never made a mistake doing mechanic stuff. I won't mention the timing cover I cracked on the 1st wife's Falcon wagon. I think I was doing the water pump and missed that one hidden bolt on the 289. Called around to junkyards and found that 289 cover pretty cheap.