Author Topic: Just ran into my long lost younger brother!  (Read 3693 times)

Offline bonneyman

Just ran into my long lost younger brother!
« on: November 23, 2020, 10:28:40 AM »
Last time I saw him was in July 2009 when I gave him a bicycle I made for him. Lost contact since then. Now 11 1/2 years later while dropping the car off at the mechanic's shop I see him and recognize him. Had about 15 minutes to talk. Made plans to get together and reconnect.

Dang it's been a long time. Funny how God works out these "divine appointments". O:-)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Just ran into my long lost younger brother!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 10:33:46 AM »
you had a lost brother  since 2009? i have 3 sisters and we may not alwys get along, we keep in touch and surely have not lost each other.

unless the guy is a complete tool (he may be and that may be the issue) stay in touch. i wish i had a brother.........
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 10:37:58 AM »
Yeah, it's a long story. Mostly pride and independence. Probably my end is the bigger problem. Hard to say, the family has always been this way.

This will be the second time I've run into him after long periods of time when I'm just going about my day and then recognize him at a bus stop or on a construction site. Exchanged phone numbers and will be reconnecting for sure.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 10:40:56 AM »
Damn, that's a long time to stay out of touch with family. When all is said and done on this earth, it's family that endures.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 11:10:14 AM »
Good bor you.
My dad doesn't talk to his second oldest brother ( oldest screwed the family over and is SOL) over petty reasons and it's a shame.
Basically we went out and stayed with him for vacation one year when I was a kid and he spent half the time off with his buddies and we barely saw him.
That and my dad expects him to call like he said he would and won't make the call himself , nothing I say will change his mind.
I talk to my older brother regularly,  and because he lives near my mom I do talk to my broster ( he's gay, and we tease but it's okay) but my two sisters live out of state and always picked on me growing up so I don't really care to deal with their drama.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 11:12:50 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 01:33:43 PM »
My family was always too much stressful unnecessary drama.  And when all contact was broke long distance accusations would come to try to provoke a reaction.

The last was five months ago.  A quite ugly one.  I haven't seen parents in 30 years and siblings in about 20.    Damn FB is the current low efforts vehicle to find us, but quite easy to ignore.

Dad just died, I was told.  I couldn't react as all feelings are gone.  At least the preaching can stop now.

It's not painful nor even a passing thought anymore.  Five of us went and found a future as best possible for each.  No two went even remotely the same direction for it.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 01:50:17 PM »
My family just isn't close. I talk to my brother about twice a year, we call each other on our birthdays, but while we used to spend time together just hanging out, it seems to have fallen off around the time of his last divorce. My wife came from a very small family, an only child. And once her parents passed, she has become focused on me and her work.

Good on you for making sure to keep in touch with him. In these times, things like that are what we need. And it reminds me, I need to call my dad's widow. Make sure she is doing OK.

Offline Rewind

• Howdy Folks!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 12:19:36 PM »
I have two older brothers, much older. One is 12 years older than me and the other is 17 years older. Like bmwrd0 my brothers and I talk about twice a year and on birthdays. They both live in Austin Tx and I'm 700 miles away. Only get to see them every 5 or 6 years. Wish we were closer but just didn't turn out that way. My dad was military, my oldest brother was, and most of my uncles were too so I never even grew up around much family. If it weren't for FB I'd never hear or see anything about ANY of my family.
Hanging in, Hanging on, Hanging out!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 04:29:36 PM »
I wouldn't say my siblings are close but we are way closer then some of you guys.  We do get along and until this year, many of us would get together Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

Had a brother who since passed, wasn't the most pleasant person to be around but he wasn't terrible either.  He and Dad were always butting heads.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 07:05:43 PM »
Family is family. That is something so take what is given.

Fortunately I am relatively close with my three sisters but my wife's family is another story.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 09:02:12 PM »
I'm the oldest of four, so my childhood was a bit different than the others. The family has always been strained. A few have mentioned drama - that's probably the best and most polite way of describing it.

I've got my quirks, but I think I'm fairly easy to get along with. Some of you have met me, and several have had dealings with me. I don't think I'm too big of a jerk. (Though I have my foot-in-mouth moments!)  :character0029:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:04:31 PM by bonneyman »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 09:07:31 PM »
I'm the oldest of four, so my childhood was a bit different than the others. The family has always been strained. A few have mentioned drama - that's probably the best and most polite way of describing it.

I've got my quirks, but I think I'm fairly easy to get along with. Some of you have met me, and several have had dealings with me. I don't think I'm too big of a jerk. (Though I have my foot-in-mouth moments!)  :character0029:

Hope you can connect more with your younger bro George. Wish you all the best in that endeavor.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 09:13:01 PM »
My older brother and I fought like cats and dogs for 40 years. Never did get along. Our mom passed in 07 and we realized we were all we had left of the family. now we get along great. We went to the stock car races Saturday. I made him pay my way in :040: :040:

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 10:37:02 PM »
It is just my sister and me now and we get along great as neither of us hesitates to help the other with anything needed.

Offline muddy

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 10:38:46 PM »
Wow glad you got back together. I talk to my sister's at least once a week. And like SK said we don't always see eye to eye but we work past it because we're family

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman