Author Topic: ...and so it begins!  (Read 12014 times)

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: ...and so it begins!
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2021, 06:43:59 AM »
Another milestone achieved - she’s under roof and waiting for electrical, siding, drywall,  and concrete driveway pour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming along nicely .....
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline john k

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2021, 07:48:46 AM »
And a deck for that walk door?  Looking good, nice to be all usable and tight by winter.

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2021, 11:08:25 AM »
Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want a two post or four post -- choices are very broad, but I'm leaning to the four post option. What do you think?

Coming along nicely, Ray!

I find my 4 post has a big footprint in my 30x30 shop and sometimes wonder if a 2 post would have been a better choice.  The 4 post can restrict the types of jobs you can do on it as well.  Perk of my 4 post is I have casters for it so I can move it around in the shop even with a car on it. 

Have you looked at those mobile single post lifts?

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2021, 01:43:46 PM »
I don't have a lift but hopefully soon.  I will likely go 4 post just so I don't have to worry about a car falling off.  Will get the accessories to get the wheels up for wheel and brake work

Offline muddy

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2021, 09:27:00 PM »
That is a tough choice. Both have pros and cons. For brakes and suspension work a two post is the way to go. For more drivetrain and exhaust I think a 4 post is better.

I'd probably go two post as it takes up less acreage in the shop.

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline walrus

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2021, 05:57:42 PM »
In a commercial garage, a 4 post is an oil change lift or alignment rack. 2 post is better for most service work, less stuff in the way.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2021, 09:37:43 AM »
2 post for me. way more versatile for underbody work.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2021, 12:30:33 PM »
I know guys that have a 4 post lift for storing cars but a 2 post for working on them. Since we are in earthquake country that is the safest way to do it.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2021, 12:20:54 PM »
Been a few weeks, but progress was made. The garage is insulated, the dual zone minisplit was installed, the electrical run to the garage was completed, and the entrance pads were just poured.

The mini-split is a dual head heatpump that will cool/heat the upstairs room and the lower garage space separately. Wireless remotes make the climate control a lot easier. 

The drywall will go up this week, and hopefully i can fill this thing up with my stuff by the middle of next week.

Still learning and pondering about what type of lift to install. My current scissor lift will do for now, and I can take my time deciding on what specific design I want as my primary lift.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 12:23:03 PM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2021, 03:58:47 PM »
Looking good Ray. Did you decide on the type of doors you are getting? Has the wife put a claim on the upstairs area? We put a 30' x 12' mezzanine in the rear of the shop for the wife's art studio. Now she wants the area under the mezzanine as well but that will be a battle.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2021, 04:08:55 PM »
Looking good Ray. Did you decide on the type of doors you are getting? Has the wife put a claim on the upstairs area? We put a 30' x 12' mezzanine in the rear of the shop for the wife's art studio. Now she wants the area under the mezzanine as well but that will be a battle.

Glad you kept the wife happy Les. Luckily mine makes no claim to the upstairs area. It will become a small hangout room for me. I will put my HAM radio gear up there and make it a HAM Shack. A sofa, table and a few easy chairs will make it a warm place to smoke a cigar in the cooler months.

Offline muddy

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2021, 05:05:51 PM »
That's pretty much my dream for a garage. A second floor "man cave" or family hangout spot with a second floor deck

Sent from the twisted mind of the mudman

Offline Crispycritter

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2021, 05:16:33 PM »
Looking good. Wish i had that much room to play with

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2021, 05:57:05 PM »
Very nice Ray.

I found after having mine built that you can never have too many outlets.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2021, 05:05:52 AM »
Looking good Ray.👍🏼
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.