Author Topic: The anything goes bike thread, parts or rides its all good.  (Read 10924 times)

Offline oldnslo

Re: The anything goes bike thread, parts or rides its all good.
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2020, 11:00:05 PM »
The new Scapin (ie #2)  is making a run to be the twin to your flagship build there Strik. This model is a Gran Sport Special, with the chromovelato paint. Meaning, the bike is chromed, then thinly veiled with colored lacquer for the Christmas ornament type paint appearance.

This is the "as bought" photo, it's down to the frame now for some refurb work, and has already had its shakedown run. I've since sourced some replacement silver wheels to rid myself of the brown anodized finished rims (what were they thinking in the early 80's).  :c029:

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2020, 07:59:49 AM »
This week I said goodbye to my blue Cannondale (an extra ride) as I have the near twin to it in red. The difference besides color, is the component group (Ultegra vs DuraAce) and a few other items. Saeco sponsored a bike team riding Cannondales in the early 90's. Many of the team bikes BITD had the (feared) Spinergy carbon wheels, which are now considered unsafe. When they fail, its catastrophic.

https://pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/cipo-USwheels-1-620.jpg

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2021, 06:56:36 PM »
oldnslo,

With a name like yours, I'm having trouble picturing you on your latest & greatest Cannondale. 

Am I reading to much into your name or are you reliving your earlier speed exploits???????

Just saying...
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2021, 11:53:50 PM »
OldnSlo for the collection of tractors that make up my passion. Those crawlers are old AND slow. The other passion is cycling, which I do 20 miles every day. I have a few more vintage bikes (the pedal kind), but also Harleys, however I do own modern pedal-based technology such as Ti (titanium) of which I have 2 in the bike fold.

Hope that helps.

Right now on the bike racks are a Specialized Allez (carbon/alu composite) getting new decals, a Mongoose Dolomite (fat tire) for a final adjustment, and a Schwinn Madison (single speed) for some frame paint touchups.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2021, 11:46:52 PM »
oldNSlo,

Thanks for the explanation.   Your username now makes a lot more sense  :clap:
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2021, 05:11:18 PM »
The Scapin is now done, and through 2 shakedown rides. Here's the changes compared to the above "as found" pic:

Black cable housing to white
Saddle from Turbo to Selle Italia
Rims from brown anodized (period correct, but not my style) to silver
Tires to Conti Gatorskins
Brake levers from DiaCompe (internal routing) to Campy (external and period correct)
Pedals from Campy to SPD-SL
Modern touches like lights (F&R), cyclometer and the tool kit

It rides great, and is fun to own.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2021, 08:29:11 PM »
ONS,

Nice work on the Scapin  :PDT_Armataz_01_37: